Preventing Google Chrome from turning Gsync on in fullscreen videos

tohico
Go to solution Solved by tohico,

I think I found a way to fix it. It seems it was derping out purely because of the grayed out Monitor Technology setting. I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and changed a random setting for Google Chrome, then I restored all the settings for it. This caused the Monitor Technology to not be grayed out, therefore it uses the global setting properly now plus I'm able to force any mode on it.

Edit: Doesn't work with the newest drivers anymore...

Hey guys,

so I got fed up by the jerkiness of Firefox over the years and I've completely switched to Google Chrome. But there's one weird issue with this. When watching videos through Chrome in a fullscreen, it turns the g-sync on. The transition isn't completely seamless and it tends to jump off it like when I hover over the next video icon and stuff like that. Therefore I'd gladly prefer to not use the g-sync for this.

My g-sync setup is completely turned off by default, I use it to turn itself on on individual games through the NVIDIA Control Panel only. Therefore something is forcing it to turn on regardless my g-sync settings. I wanted to specifically disable this in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Google Chrome, but the Monitor Technology setting (the setting for forcing the display mode - eg. gsync) is grayed out there. The only thing that worked was by disabling the hardware acceleration in Chrome completely, but the performance is the reason I'm switching to it. So I'd like to keep that on...

Is there a way to prevent Google Chrome from turning G-Sync on in fullscreen videos without actually disabling the hardware acceleration completely?

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

I think I found a way to fix it. It seems it was derping out purely because of the grayed out Monitor Technology setting. I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and changed a random setting for Google Chrome, then I restored all the settings for it. This caused the Monitor Technology to not be grayed out, therefore it uses the global setting properly now plus I'm able to force any mode on it.

Edit: Doesn't work with the newest drivers anymore...

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)