Cheap Server Rack

douchecanoe

I have a bit of rackmount gear and would like to get a small rack to put it all in

I figure something like ~10U is enough, would prefer floorstanding to wall mount, either cabinet or open post are fine

However, budget is ~$100

Feasible?

i wish, i have been browsing around for a while and the cheapest i have seen has been about $200

......i wish i have a money tree

Keep an eye on sites like craigs list depending on where you live(idk where they cover). I've heard of people finding stuff like this on there for cheap. eBay might have high shipping costs as it isn't really local.

It looks good.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Wow, that's a genius idea with the lack rack. I may have to pick a few up for myself!

A friend gave me a couple wall racks similar to this.. they've proved to be quite useful.

I mounted them on a quick n dirty 2x4 frame I made under my utility panel in my basement. Bought a 19" rack shelf for a server, rackmount switch and patch panel.. Very tidy.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59628&vpn=WALLMOUNT6&manufacture=Startech%2Ecom

A friend gave me a couple wall racks similar to this.. they've proved to be quite useful.

I mounted them on a quick n dirty 2x4 frame I made under my utility panel in my basement. Bought a 19" rack shelf for a server, rackmount switch and patch panel.. Very tidy.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59628&vpn=WALLMOUNT6&manufacture=Startech%2Ecom

Hmm, interesting, but still seems expensive for what is basically a sheet of steel folded up with some holes in it

Might go ahead with the lack rack, honestly seems like the best option right now

It really depends on the size - if you're looking for 10ru 19" cases i've seen them as low as $200 brand new from DJ stores in plastic, metal/wood or carpet/wood - think outside the box and you'll be surprised what you can find :P

It really depends on the size - if you're looking for 10ru 19" cases i've seen them as low as $200 brand new from DJ stores in plastic, metal/wood or carpet/wood - think outside the box and you'll be surprised what you can find :P
Often those DJ cabinets aren't long enough to support a lot of servers and computer equipment, but thanks for the suggestion

I've been looking at this, which seems sturdy and simple enough, just wondering about build quality. Interesting design of it too, just basically two poles held together by the servers themselves

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129036

My only worry with those sort of things is their structural integrity at low loads, especially if the load is up higher when you're switching things in and out. Another possibility is DIY; only need a few basic power tools, ply wood and the fittings + paint - probably knock one out for $100-$150

Yeah a bit... they can be had for less on amazon.. but still going to run you around $40 per. On looking again at them, they're only 12" deep. That may not be enough depending on what you plan on installing.

The ones that were given to me actually are expandable depth as well.. not sure where they came from, but I like them.

Sometimes there are places that liquidate old telco equipment, computer & office equipment. Depending where you are, there may be something like that around you. Stuff like that can be pretty cheap if you can find it.

Lackrack!

http://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Here can you see my cheap rack this is a 15 euro version :)

Nice, never occurred to me that I can use them like that, I will pick a few up next time I go to work.

I finished my LackRack yesterday.

Here are some glamour-shots:

sam108xnx.jpg

It is a double Lack, so it's able to hold 12U's of equipment.

sam109nhn.jpg

The servers sit on steel L-bars so they can slide in and out easily. I will get some more L-bars, but the store was out of stock.

sam109oto.jpg

The sides are reinforced with steel bars for stability.

At the moment, only my storage server and my 24-port switch are in the rack, but I'm getting some new case next month for my router (NorcoTek RPC-250) and for my desktop (NorcoTek RPC-470).