Is this pairing good?

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
1 hour ago, AceTaker said:

So bad motherboard?

I personally don't think there are any major concerns with that motherboard. The 8320E is the 95 Watt version of the 8320, isn't it? VRMs are a really serious concern when you're buying an FX 9xxx CPU, but I don't think you need particularly special VRMs for such an 8320E.

1 hour ago, SirFlamenco said:

8350>6100 geez 8 cores vs 2

The i3-6100 and FX-8350 stack up in wildly different ways depending on what you're using to measure performance, and the core count is the big reason why that happens. In Premiere or Cinema 4D or something, you'd absolutely be right. But I don't see how you can oversimplify this down to "8 > 2" when the FX-8350 was already barely competitive with an Ivy Bridge i3 in some tasks at launch, and that was three Intel generations ago.

I'm making a new PC till I get a lot more cash flowing, and I've chosen the FX 8320e from Micro center (Only 90$!!!) and the motherboard I've chosen is a MSI 970A GAMING PRO CARBON. I've heard absolutely nothing bad yet, I worry about the VRM's or something like that going wrong, obviously sometimes there is faults in construction, but is there anything actually wrong with the design as to why I should buy it? 1. I'm not going to change my mind about the CPU, I'm sticking to buying it when Christmas comes around, unless AMD announces a budget gaming processor. 2. I'm also wondering, will this case fit it well? http://www.microcenter.com/product/383014/Commander_MS-I_Snow_ATX_Mid-Tower_Computer_Case   (I should have also said, I get 40$ off because the FX processor is compatible, I'm also using 8GB of 1333 RAM, I know it's slow, but I'm on a budget, and I already have it..) Motherboard : http://www.microcenter.com/product/469080/970A_GAMING_PRO_CARBON_RGB_AM3_ATX_AMD_Motherboard_with_USB_31_Gen2_Type_C

an i3-6100 would be about as good as the 8320 for gaming to be honest, and it puts you on a platform where you can upgrade, so you should consider changing your mind on the CPU.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

an i3-6100 would be about as good as the 8320 for gaming to be honest, and it puts you on a platform where you can upgrade, so you should consider changing your mind on the CPU.

I've already thought about it, I would need ram, and it already cost enough for the processor. There isn't any worthwhile deals at Micro center..

would spend those dollars on intel.

I just switched from an 8320. 

1. you will never have a cool or quiet build with AMD FX-83XX

2. You will get the same performance as entry level Intel CPU's

3. You will have nowhere to upgrade to without switching mobo + ram + CPU

4. Zen is upon us, and should offer a much better variety and spur some price drops

5. You can't change form factor without sacrificing major performance 

2 hours ago, Alexokan said:

would spend those dollars on intel.

I just switched from an 8320. 

1. you will never have a cool or quiet build with AMD FX-83XX

2. You will get the same performance as entry level Intel CPU's

3. You will have nowhere to upgrade to without switching mobo + ram + CPU

4. Zen is upon us, and should offer a much better variety and spur some price drops

5. You can't change form factor without sacrificing major performance 

1. I don't care about aesthetics, or sound

2. It's better then my AMD Athlon II X4 from 2009-2010

3. I MIGHT upgrade to Zen if the release date is early enough, and cheap enough, I don't know though.

4. Look at 3...

5. It's time to upgrade to ATX.

You say you're on a budget, but that is a common misconception with AMD. 

By the time you add a CPU cooler, extra fans - you could easily afford an entry level intel system that performs on par, consumes less power, has upgradability, and is quieter. 

But hey, do what you wish. The performance of the system won't be horrid like many people like to claim - just average/underwhelming.

3 hours ago, AceTaker said:

I'm making a new PC till I get a lot more cash flowing, and I've chosen the FX 8320e from Micro center (Only 90$!!!) and the motherboard I've chosen is a MSI 970A GAMING PRO CARBON.

13 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

If you need to buy a motherboard AND an AM3+ CPU right now to upgrade from a 2010 AMD CPU...just DON'T...amd FX is from 2011 and not much better than the one you already own, especially for gaming....certainly nowhere near good enough to be worth spending 200$ on the upgrade...hell nahh man. I had one, it's trash.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

If you need to buy a motherboard AND an AM3+ CPU right now to upgrade from a 2010 AMD CPU...just DON'T...amd FX is from 2011 and not much better than the one you already own, especially for gaming....certainly nowhere near good enough to be worth spending 200$ on the upgrade...hell nahh man. I had one, it's trash.

No matter what, Intel is always expensive, and I'm NOT buying used.

I made it clear, I'm buying a AMD processor anyways, no one has even answered my question about the motherboard, VRMs and stuff.

4 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

I made it clear, I'm buying a AMD processor anyways, no one has even answered my question about the motherboard, VRMs and stuff.

it has an 8 phase VRM, probably cheap MSI mosfets like all MSI am3+ boards so alright for light to medium overclocking...also has a shit load of bolted on goodies that did not exist back when the 970 chipset was designed in 2010...so a lot of issues might arries from it, it's also probably way overpriced for what it is...you don't care about performance, if you don't care about looks either then there are probably higher quality boards with less goodies...because this one is all about bling bling and cheap components.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Quit your complaining, AMD is probably going to make a Zen budget processor, so I *MIGHT* get it, if the time and price is right.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it has an 8 phase VRM, probably cheap MSI mosfets like all MSI am3+ boards so alright for light to medium overclocking...also has a shit load of bolted on goodies that did not exist back when the 970 chipset was designed in 2010...so a lot of issues might arries from it, it's also probably way overpriced for what it is...you don't care about performance, if you don't care about looks either then there are probably higher quality boards with less goodies...because this one is about bling bling and cheap components.

So bad motherboard?

3 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

So bad motherboard?

mehh not really no, it depends on price...it's certainly ''good enough'' but is there other better boards in the price range with maybe less goodies but better chokes and VRM's for more intense overclocking...probably....i guess it depends what you want/need...do you plan on pushing the CPU and using a good 3rd party cooler to get somewhat decent performance out of the outdated processor? or do you have plans to use M.2 and USB 3.1 and other bolted on modern tech this board has?

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

mehh not really no, it depends on price...it's certainly ''good enough'' but is there other better boards in the price range with maybe less goodies but better chokes and VRM's for more intense overclocking...probably....i guess it depends what you want/need...do you plan on pushing the CPU and using a good 3rd party cooler to get somewhat decent performance out of the outdated processor? or do you have plans to use M.2 and USB 3.1 and other bolted on modern tech this board has?

Not really OC, but instead something along the lines of USB 3.1, and M.2, *maybe* a light OC.

Just now, AceTaker said:

Not really OC, but instead something along the lines of USB 3.1, and M.2, *maybe* a light OC.

then this board if priced right is good for you...but be aware USB3.1 and M.2 obviously not natively supported by the chipset so there might be all kind of weird conflicts and restrictions and use cases where it might not work properly or straight up not work at all...it's a bit of a gamble imho.

5 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

the FX-8320/50/70 is not a true 8 core CPU...it's a fancy quad-core...it has 4 modules, each sporting 1 floating point unit and 2 integer units...so it only has 4 FPU on the whole chip and 8 integer units...Floating point units are very important...and also, they are very very slow processing units by todays standard with abysmall IPC...

The core i3-6100 is a dual-core with hyper-threading and can handle MOST loads better than the AMD FX, unless you do content production, rendering, transcoding, compression, encryption...things of that nature...for all the other daily use and gaming use and stuff the i3-6100 will stomp the old ass AMD FX across the board:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-FX-8320E/3511vs2985

23 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

Quit your complaining, AMD is probably going to make a Zen budget processor, so I *MIGHT* get it, if the time and price is right.

Good way to respond to people trying to, ultimately, help you.. 

:|

Just now, Alexokan said:

Good way to respond to people trying to, ultimately, help you.. 

:|

well yeah...it's not like we had one for 3 months or anything isn't it...not like if i been burned on one that chocked my old GTX 780 to great extent in most games to the point where i had to perform a CPU and platform upgrade only 3 months after blowing 289$ on an AM3+ kit or anything o.O

1. I don't care about aesthetics, or sound

3. I MIGHT upgrade to Zen if the release date is early enough, and cheap enough, I don't know though.

4. Look at 3...

5. It's time to upgrade to ATX.

1. you should care. when he said "cool" he meant literally cool  

2. True, but not by much

3. either way, you'll be buying a new Mobo, RAM, CPU eventually

4.Zen releases Q1 2017 and when it does,  it should shake up the CPU market considerably.  Prices may drop on both AMD and Intel, so its worth waiting until then to find out.  You could end up saving a lot of money.

5. I wouldn't call ATX an "upgrade"

you're pretty much stuck with the FX-83XX until you decide to upgrade. And when you do, you'll just end up buying new Mobo RAM and CPU anyway.  its just a matter of when.  (intel now vs Zen later)

So bad motherboard?

I personally don't think there are any major concerns with that motherboard. The 8320E is the 95 Watt version of the 8320, isn't it? VRMs are a really serious concern when you're buying an FX 9xxx CPU, but I don't think you need particularly special VRMs for such an 8320E.

1 hour ago, SirFlamenco said:

The i3-6100 and FX-8350 stack up in wildly different ways depending on what you're using to measure performance, and the core count is the big reason why that happens. In Premiere or Cinema 4D or something, you'd absolutely be right. But I don't see how you can oversimplify this down to "8 > 2" when the FX-8350 was already barely competitive with an Ivy Bridge i3 in some tasks at launch, and that was three Intel generations ago.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the FX-8320/50/70 is not a true 8 core CPU...it's a fancy quad-core...it has 4 modules, each sporting 1 floating point unit and 2 integer units...so it only has 4 FPU on the whole chip and 8 integer units...Floating point units are very important...and also, they are very very slow processing units by todays standard with abysmall IPC...

The core i3-6100 is a dual-core with hyper-threading and can handle MOST loads better than the AMD FX, unless you do content production, rendering, transcoding, compression, encryption...things of that nature...for all the other daily use and gaming useage and stuff the i3-6100 will stomp the old ass AMD FX across the board:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-FX-8320E/3511vs2985

The 6100 can't be overlocked and the 8350 yes. Also, when the amd cpu is oc, it can do the same as 6600k

So true it hurts

5 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

The 6100 can't be overlocked and the 8350 yes. Also, when the amd cpu is oc, it can do the same as 6600k

sir, with all the respect, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about ;)