HDD to SSD

jc_raymundo

Hi everyone! So I have a seagate 500 gb HDD and I am planning to buy a SSD which will be my boot drive and my HDD will be my drive D. So my concern is, is it possible to transfer my windows 10 installed on my hdd to my new sdd? thank you!

• What you can do is get a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's site, then create a bootable USB drive, then install windows 10 from that (You may need to use rufus, not 100% sure on that though).
  • If you want to copy everything over, you can use clonezilla with rufus to do that.

For either option, make sure to keep your product key handy for when it requests it.

Hope this helps. :) 

Comic Sans is the best font.

If you're buying a Samsung SSD, you can use Samsung Data Migration. The total data in your hard drive (not the capacity) should be lower or equal to the SSD capacity tho.

Hi @jc_raymundo and welcome to LinusTechTips! :)

You should be able to clone the HDD to the new SSD with the cloning tool offered by the manufacturer - @Wix has mentioned the one available from the SSD one and it should do the job.

However, I personally would prefer to make a clean installation because that way no junk or redundant files will be transferred to the SSD, and furthermore with a fresh installation the system will run faster. 

Either way though I'd suggest to make a backup on another location so your most important information could be safely secured there until the cloning (or the re-installation) is complete.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :) 

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

On 12/5/2016 at 9:09 AM, DeDra said:
  • What you can do is get a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's site, then create a bootable USB drive, then install windows 10 from that (You may need to use rufus, not 100% sure on that though).
  • If you want to copy everything over, you can use clonezilla with rufus to do that.

For either option, make sure to keep your product key handy for when it requests it.

What about the key? Haha i have genuine OS 

On 12/5/2016 at 9:09 AM, DeDra said:

Can I use my cd key again?

15 hours ago, jc_raymundo said:

Can I use my cd key again?

I'm pretty sure you can; it worked for me

Comic Sans is the best font.