Sata drives not recognized after samsung 960 evo upgrade

teun2408

Hi,

Today I received my samsung 960 evo 500gb, I installed it in my pc where I was using a samsung 850 evo 250gb and a seagate 1tb drive and a external 2tb drive. 

So I went and installed the new 960 ssd, but when I went to instal windows on it I saw that it only detected my new ssd and the external 2tb drive but not the old 850 ssd and neither did it detect the 1tb hdd.

I went ahead and installed windows on the ssd because I thought maybe it would be fixed after I installed windows and new drivers, but nope now I have fully installed my pc but still can't see the hard drive and old ssd. 

I have gone in the bios but it's also not seen from there, I don't even have the option to boot from my old ssd anymore. I have installed all the drivers from my motherboard and from intel.

Do any of you have suggestions what could be the problem?

thanks Teun2408

System specs:

motherboard: MSI z170a pc mate

CPU: i5 6600K

GPU: evga GTX 970

RAM: 16GB kingston hyperx 2133mhz cl13

Drives

Old ssd: Samsung 850 evo 250gb (Does get detected)

New ssd: Samsung 960 evo 500gb (Doesn't get detected)

Internal hdd: seagate 1tb hdd (Doesn't get detected)

external hdd: WD my book 2tb (Does get detected)

4 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

you can't post same thing.

I posted it on the wrong thread the first time, don't know how to delete that one. But this is the right thread for it?, or should I now leave the first one open and close this? if I find out how to do it.

I edited the old one, now it says that I that one was a mispost and removed the content. I don't know how to actually delete the post.

Try plugging the old drives into different sata ports, IIRC if the m.2 slot gets occupied it disables certain sata ports? Don't quote me on this but its worth a try. 

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

7 minutes ago, Fun. said:

Try plugging the old drives into different sata ports, IIRC if the m.2 slot gets occupied it disables certain sata ports? Don't quote me on this but its worth a try. 

Yes thanks, this was indeed the problem on my motherboard it disables the sata ports 1 and 2 when I use a m.2 ssd. I swaped them with porth 5 and 6 and they both work again :).