Hello everyone,

Sorry for the long story. TLDR: PC instantly turns off without a notice or whatsoever whilst the power isn't cut off.

First of all I want to say, I this topic is in the wrong forum category I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

What happened twice now is that my pc shutdown unexpectingly, not really shutting down actually, just going black and... nothing.

The weird part is that the power brick that it's connected to stays on, and the light that's connected to the same power brick stays on aswell. So my only guess is the hardware.

In the windows event viewer all it said was: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

The previous time this happened I made sure the chord that connects to the power supply was tight in there and wasn't loose or anything.

Now that it happened again, I'm clueless of what it is, I have been using this setup for 8 months or so without this every happening since a few days ago.

It doesn't happen on startup or under heavy load aswell. Both times it happened after using my pc for several hours after closing my game. Previous time it was GTA 5, and this time League of Legends. Just 20 seconds after shutting down the game both times, but I'm not sure if this has to do with anything or was just a coincidence.

One thing I could imagine is the motherboard failing, as I got it broken. Everytime I startup my pc it's a black screen, until I hit the reboot button under the power button a second later and then it boots up. This was becoming a habit and always worked aswell for all those months, but it could be that the motherboard is now really failing.

All I really want the know is what could be the problem? And can I find in my event viewer or somewhere else a confirmation of my claims? Or any other software to test on system parts failing?

Edit: Well whilst trying to get my pc specs through speccy for this article, my whole pc froze for about 3 minutes when I was detecting my CPU, even my mouse froze and Ctrl+Alt+delete didnt work. Speccy got terminated after 3 min and it started working again, so I just copied the specs from another post I had. But this might confirm my thoughts about the cpu/motherboard failing.

Maybe worth mentioning: Whilst this happened I am only running: Chrome, Steam, Discord and Spotify both times.

PC specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-4100    62 °C
    Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
    16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2)    72 °C
Graphics
    PL2473H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)    54 °C
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 ATA Device (SATA)    48 °C
Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected

Power supply: Cooler Master G750M

Again sorry for the long post, and thanks everyone in advance for the help,

Maurice

Have you checked the cpu/gpu temps at load?

Have you tried a different power supply?

Most likely it is either a power supply or gpu failure.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

55 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Have you checked the cpu/gpu temps at load?

Have you tried a different power supply?

Most likely it is either a power supply or gpu failure.

The CPU temps are hitting around 85 degrees under load and GPU barely 65 max. Those have been the same for as long as I know. And I only have acces to one other power supply that I have lying around, but it's a really old 550 watt power supply that's filled with dust, I don't think I trust that thing with my current pc. Plus it doesnt have enough gpu pins to give power to the GPU.

Update: the motherboard hits 90 degrees and the cpu 82, this might be the problem?