Built a new PC, but it won't boot to BIOS (or display video) - Video Of Problem

Go to solution Solved by asand1,

@VPrime

I think the "preparing" stage takes the longest.

So this is my experience right about now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwaQzL0vJPfWTl9QbnhIbGp1dUk/view?usp=sharing

I bought this board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171823154293?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (which included the Intel Stock cooler) and the rear I/O shield.  I got a lot of other parts, but I try to boot it up and the fan doesn't want to move, then it goes into beast mode for a few seconds, the motherboard speaker beeps in the tone in the video, and the computer shuts down, only the do it over and over until I cut off power to it.  Any ideas?  

3 short beeps - RAM error

remove all sticks and try with a single one, move it slots and chose another one if you have issues

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

3 short beeps - RAM error

remove all sticks and try with a single one, move it slots and chose another one if you have issues

Okay so I left in one stick and securely pushed it in... so now I get no beeps, which is good, but also, no signal. :/

1 minute ago, VPrime said:

Okay so I left in one stick and securely pushed it in... so now I get no beeps, which is good, but also, no signal. :/

I see it has on-board video, try with that

Just now, VPrime said:

Okay so I put the fan back in, and it still does beast mode for a second, but it returns to a quiet , working rate afterwards.  Still no video signal though.... is it possible that the metal prongs on my I/O shield are shorting the back signals???

Did you try the onboard graphics like suggested by @zMeul

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

6 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I mean I'm plugging the HDMI cable into my monitor's input and into the motherboard's HDMI output, and I'm not getting a BIOS, LOAD FAILURE, or any other visuals.  My monitor thinks there is no signal which is strange.  I even unplugged my SATA data cable to my SSD so that it wouldn't be screwing with it, but nope.  No video.... 

8 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I have a PCIe graphics card plugged into the PCIe port, but I'm not using that.  Is that a problem causer?

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

do a BIOS reset

How do I do this?  It was a used motherboard after all...

Just now, VPrime said:

How do I do this?  It was a used motherboard after all...

remove the power plug, press the power button for 2sec, remove the CMOS battery, short the pins on the battery socket with something and put it all back 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

remove the power plug, press the power button for 2sec, remove the CMOS battery, short the pins on the battery socket with something and put it all back 

Okay, for the last part - shorting the pins.  What does this mean exactly?  And should all three sides of it be done simultaneously?

9 minutes ago, VPrime said:

And should all three sides of it be done simultaneously?

what 3 sides?! the CMOS battery socket has only 2 pins - short between the clip and the middle snake like tongue thingy

yuTrj.jpg utZ2FN3.png

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what 3 sides?! the CMOS battery socket has only 2 pins - short between the clip and the middle snake like tongue thingy

yuTrj.jpg

Okay done!  Took the battery out, held the power button for 15 seconds to discharge extra energy.  Put them back in, connected everything up.  Still, no video signal.  This is really frustrating.

remove the mobo from the case and put it on some cardboard - plug in only the kyb, PSU and monitor and one stick of RAM .. nothing else

if it still doesn't boot, that mobo could be very dead

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

remove the mobo from the case and put it on some cardboard - plug in only the kyb, PSU and monitor and one stick of RAM .. nothing else

if it still doesn't boot, that mobo could be very dead

I FIGURED IT OUT!  IT WAS THE %#^#%&%$&& PCIE card.... damn.  That shouldn't be an issue, but whatever.  I got a new boot screen now, but it detects two errors...

1 hour ago, VPrime said:

I have a PCIe graphics card plugged into the PCIe port, but I'm not using that.  Is that a problem causer?

If you have a graphics plugged in and want to use the on-board graphics you need to set up the dual graphics or whatever they call it in your BIOS.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, VPrime said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!  IT WAS THE %#^#%&%$&& PCIE card.... damn.  That shouldn't be an issue, but whatever.  I got a new boot screen now, but it detects two errors...

Glad you figured it out. What are the two errors though?

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

Does the Graphics card put out video though? You haven't really made that clear.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

If you have a graphics plugged in and want to use the on-board graphics you need to set up the dual graphics or whatever they call it in your BIOS.

No, it won't until you install the Win 10 drivers for it.  Another thing is, I don't think this board has drivers for Windows 10, and I'm trying to install a bootable USB drive for it and it's not letting me.  It's giving me this bull crap

PXE-e61: Media test failure, check cable

PCE-M0F: Exitng Intel Boot Agent.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device 

or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key

What motherboard is it? Maybe W10 just doesn't like it.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

A BIOS flash will probably help with the USB and Graphics card compatability. Have you checked the Boot order and Boot settings in BIOS? Try starting the PC with the USB in, and open BIOS, It should list the USB as a removable drive or HDD. Select that as your 1st boot device. You may have to go into "Storage Devices" or some such and select the USB as your HDD of choice. Different BIOS's make it very convoluted.

@VPrime

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

A BIOS flash will probably help with the USB and Graphics card compatability. Have you checked the Boot order and Boot settings in BIOS? Try starting the PC with the USB in, and open BIOS, It should list the USB as a removable drive or HDD. Select that as your 1st boot device. You may have to go into "Storage Devices" or some such and select the USB as your HDD of choice. Different BIOS's make it very convoluted.

@VPrime

Okay well somehow I enabled UEFI boot in the Advanced BIOS and I plugged in one of my Windows 7 bootable USB drives (I have no product key :P).  But it has the Windows is loading files screen which is news!... Not that Windows 10 will work... I think maybe this is because I used Rufus to configure this particular USB.

4 minutes ago, VPrime said:

Okay well somehow I enabled UEFI boot in the Advanced BIOS and I plugged in one of my Windows 7 bootable USB drives (I have no product key :P).  But it has the Windows is loading files screen which is news!... Not that Windows 10 will work... I think maybe this is because I used Rufus to configure this particular USB.

I use Rufus for linux bootable USB's, but Windows MediaCreationTool works great on its own.

Sounds like you're making progress though. Luckily you don't need to activate W10, but if you already have a Microshaft account you may be able to log in and have it activate after a few logins.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;