Hey guys, 

I am a relatively new builder. This is my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D8QRYr

I do not know anything about overclocking but the program that came with my motherboard came with a program called "Asus Dual Intelligent processors 5". I proceeded to click on the 5-way optimization button and let it do its thing. When it was done I noticed whenever I start up my computer now that it states that it is 20% overclocked on the start up screen or whatever it is referred to. I would like to get the most out of my system safely and not have to worry about anything happening since I am a new builder. Additionally, for some reason my card was not in the settings anywhere in the program so it has not been touched and has been left relatively the same. I would appreciate feedback and please remember, I am a very new builder so some things you say like terminology may not make sense to me. I am sorry if that may frustrate some of you but I would like to be welcomed into the community!

That is fine.

Asus can do that automatically.

It is designed to get more performance without needing to do anything technical.

Nothing bad will happen.

It limit's itself WAAAY before it can do any damage.

You are more likely to damage your CPU yourself doing manual overclocking, rather than letting Asus do it for you

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

That is fine.

Asus can do that automatically.

It is designed to get more performance without needing to do anything technical.

Nothing bad will happen.

It limit's itself WAAAY before it can do any damage.

You are more likely to damage your CPU yourself doing manual overclocking, rather than letting Asus do it for you

What about my card? Since the program did not register it and I have no idea what to do so I would rather not mess with it unless I know what I am doing.

Just now, Phantom Itachi said:

What about my card? Since the program did not register it and I have no idea what to do so I would rather not mess with it unless I know what I am doing.

Do you mean your graphics card? I'm pretty sure the motherboard can not mess with the gpu clock speeds or vram.

Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking.

"the card" I assume means your graphics card? You will have to use different software to overclock that. MSI afterburner is a favourite of mine, the Gigabyte extreme OC is OK as well.

Look for overclocking guides on the forums specific to your motherboard brand and cpu generation. It is all relatively safe to mess with the settings manually, so long as you don't set your voltages too high. If something goes wrong the system will just shut itself down.

At the end of the day, if you want "the most" performance, you will have to go and tweak things manually, which will involve a lot of blue screens and headaches. This is all part of the fun. Get familiar with your motherboard by reading other peoples guides. I wont post an indepth tutorial here since there are tons available out there.

When in doubt, re-format.

5 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of overclocking.

"the card" I assume means your graphics card? You will have to use different software to overclock that. MSI afterburner is a favourite of mine, the Gigabyte extreme OC is OK as well.

Look for overclocking guides on the forums specific to your motherboard brand and cpu generation. It is all relatively safe to mess with the settings manually, so long as you don't set your voltages too high. If something goes wrong the system will just shut itself down.

At the end of the day, if you want "the most" performance, you will have to go and tweak things manually, which will involve a lot of blue screens and headaches. This is all part of the fun. Get familiar with your motherboard by reading other peoples guides. I wont post an indepth tutorial here since there are tons available out there.

Thank you! I feel welcomed already. I am very curious since I upgraded from an Asus 750 to what you see in the link. But for some reason, I pull 40-50 frames in The witcher 3. Before I purchased the card I was told with the parts that I have now that I would run the game perfectly 1080 60+ but in many instances I am not getting that. I primarily reference that game because it seems that that is one of the few games that give me fps problems. I play on max settings and I am a very picky person when it comes to things like this. Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I also plan on streaming a lot on twitch and wasn't sure if you could give me some pointers in the right direction towards the card and or streaming opinions/options. Thank you by the way to take the time out of your day to help someone like me!

Thank you! I feel welcomed already. I am very curious since I upgraded from an Asus 750 to what you see in the link. But for some reason, I pull 40-50 frames in The witcher 3. Before I purchased the card I was told with the parts that I have now that I would run the game perfectly 1080 60+ but in many instances I am not getting that. I primarily reference that game because it seems that that is one of the few games that give me fps problems. I play on max settings and I am a very picky person when it comes to things like this. Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I also plan on streaming a lot on twitch and wasn't sure if you could give me some pointers in the right direction towards the card and or streaming opinions/options. Thank you by the way to take the time out of your day to help someone like me!

No worries man, this forum is full of helpful like-minded individuals, along with some trolls. But that's to be expected.

Overclocking your GPU realistically will only ever give you +10FPS at max. There are exceptions, but don't even expect that much most of the time.

What resolution is your monitor running at? If you are playing on 2560x1440, then the fps you are getting is pretty much expected. If its 1080p, then it is a little low, but there may not necessarily be anything wrong with your system. Try lowering your AA down to 2x instead of whatever the max is.

As far as twitch is concerned, unless you plan on buying a dedicated capture card, you can use NVidia shadowplay (part of the geforce experience that comes bundled with your gpu driver) for that, and only receive a minimal FPS hit in game. I have never done this myself, but I'm sure you'll find lots of discussion on this forum about twitch and streaming in general.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

No worries man, this forum is full of helpful like-minded individuals, along with some trolls. But that's to be expected.

Overclocking your GPU realistically will only ever give you +10FPS at max. There are exceptions, but don't even expect that much most of the time.

What resolution is your monitor running at? If you are playing on 2560x1440, then the fps you are getting is pretty much expected. If its 1080p, then it is a little low, but there may not necessarily be anything wrong with your system. Try lowering your AA down to 2x instead of whatever the max is.

As far as twitch is concerned, unless you plan on buying a dedicated capture card, you can use NVidia shadowplay (part of the geforce experience that comes bundled with your gpu driver) for that, and only receive a minimal FPS hit in game. I have never done this myself, but I'm sure you'll find lots of discussion on this forum about twitch and streaming in general.

Thanks for letting me know regarding the twitch information! I play on a 1080p monitor. That is why I am rather concerned with my FPS values. Do not know what to do really. 

(Deleted)

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

1 minute ago, xephoneration said:

if you are not set on your case and cooler here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($153.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($71.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.88 @ Jet) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($87.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($58.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1261.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-30 15:38 EST-0500

I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by this post. I already have all my parts. Most of the parts you put, I already have. but then again I do not know what you mean with this post. 

I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by this post. I already have all my parts. Most of the parts you put, I already have. but then again I do not know what you mean with this post. 

Ah read it wrong then NVM!

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

just change the cpu to a h60 and your good.

you forgot to add cooler

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

you forgot to add cooler

rip

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

just change the cpu to a h60 and your good.

You really think so? On the program I mentioned, I am reading idle temps around 28 celsius on idle I believe. Have not checked on playing games or whatever it is that makes the cpu get warmer.

2 hours ago, Phantom Itachi said:

I do not know anything about overclocking but the program that came with my motherboard came with a program called "Asus Dual Intelligent processors 5". I proceeded to click on the 5-way optimization button and let it do its thing. When it was done I noticed whenever I start up my computer now that it states that it is 20% overclocked on the start up screen or whatever it is referred to. I would like to get the most out of my system safely and not have to worry about anything happening since I am a new builder. Additionally, for some reason my card was not in the settings anywhere in the program so it has not been touched and has been left relatively the same. I would appreciate feedback and please remember, I am a very new builder so some things you say like terminology may not make sense to me. I am sorry if that may frustrate some of you but I would like to be welcomed into the community!

Get CPU-Z and check your CPU speed. If its base clock is over 4.0GHz, then congratulations! You've successfully overclocked your CPU.

Now the next step is to stress test the CPU to make sure the overclock is stable. Not sure if Asus does that for you, but doesn't hurt to test it yourself. For that, use prime95 or AIDA64 Stress Test.

GPU's aren't all that easy, since there isn't an "Auto Tune" tool like the one you used (AMD removed theirs looong ago) since cards are manufactured by different companies and each have their own custom built solutions to everything. For that, you'll need to use a tuning tool like MSI Afterburner and test it yourself by running games or running benchmark tools like Unigine Valley or Heaven.

It can take a lot of trials and errors (like black/blue screens, crashes, hangs, reboots) to find an ideal overclock, so take your time and test adequately. Remember, every step up in your CPU Core, CPU Cache, RAM, GPU Core or VRAM clock speed requires testing to make sure it is stable, so you need to have patience.

PS. You can further overclock your CPU or RAM in the BIOS, or an ASUS motherboard software if provided.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.