Helping A Friend Upgrade His PC!

Hey Everyone, 

My friend would like to do one big-ish upgrade to his PC. So obviously, I told him to grab a new GPU (maybe an RX480 8GB) because that's one of the simplest upgrades to make.

My dilemma right now is that I've only kept up what's new as far as CPU's (and GPU's for that matter) for the last two-ish years, which leaves out a lot of AMD chips. 

What should he upgrade? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Specs that I'm aware of and are relevant to this:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz

GPU: R9 270x

Also relevant to this conversation, he's having some big issues running Battlefield 1 multiplayer and can't figure out why (single player apparently works fine).

(This is only my second time posting to the LTT Forum so don't roast me.)

EDIT: PSU: Corsair CSM 750W

What Case and PSU does he have? Does he already have a cooler or is he using the stock one?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

What Case and PSU does he have? Does he already have a cooler or is he using the stock one?

11 minutes ago, FunkyBassBuddy said:

Hey Everyone, 

My friend would like to do one big-ish upgrade to his PC. So obviously, I told him to grab a new GPU (maybe an RX480 8GB) because that's one of the simplest upgrades to make.

My dilemma right now is that I've only kept up what's new as far as CPU's (and GPU's for that matter) for the last two-ish years, which leaves out a lot of AMD chips. 

Also relevant to this conversation, he's having some big issues running Battlefield 1 multiplayer and can't figure out why (single player apparently works fine).

what dark said.

MF UH BEANS

12 minutes ago, FunkyBassBuddy said:

Hey Everyone, 

to go wit an rx 480 i'd say maybe i5 6600k or an i7, also does he have an ssd?

MF UH BEANS

4 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

From what I remember, he has a Cooler Master HAF for a case. And I'm assuming he's running a stock cooler.

As far as PSU, I'm not sure. I won't know until he responds and he's at work.

6 minutes ago, aries757 said:

to go wit an rx 480 i'd say maybe i5 6600k or an i7, also does he have an ssd?

I said one upgrade, not an overhaul. I know what you're recommending would be ideal, it's just not what I asked.

A GTX 1060 6GB would be a good upgrade. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Short Answer:  I would upgrade the processor first.  You'll have to get a new motherboard and/or RAM depending on what you upgrade to.  Long Answer:If you wanted to stay with AMD and the same socket type (AM3+) so you don't have to get a new motherboard, you could go with an FX-8350.  However, unless you get a crazy good deal, I wouldn't recommend this because of the pending release of AMD's "Zen" processors (AM4, i believe). I'd wait to see what they have to offer before buying anything. As far as intel goes, you can't go wrong with an i5-6600k (especially for BF1).  But as I mentioned, you'd need a new motherboard (1151 socket) and new DDR4 RAM.  

If you upgrade the GPU, the FX-4300 will more than likely bottleneck any upgrade you get, especially in BF1, one of the most CPU intensive games i've ever seen.