What CPU do I need?

Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
23 minutes ago, mnash said:

So right now my computer is pretty alright to decent, I just recently bought my first 1080p monitos (always have been using 1366x768 monitors) and since I have been using this monitor a couple things have been noticed. First off I have been playing a LOT of battlefield 1 and it has little to no FPS problems, back on my 1366x768 monitors that is, usually CPU usage was sitting between 80-90% when playing and like I said there was no performance issues whatsoever. But since I got the 1080p monitor I have noticed a little dip in frames (like probably 5-10 which is a little noticeable) and so I looked at the task manager for the cpu usuage and now it usually is between 90-100% which I feel like is pretty bad situation, mostly because the entire usage bar is red, so now I know my computer is under a heavier load when using a higher resolution monitor, which is kinda obvious now that I think of it. So the question I am asking is should I get a better cpu, gpu, or both. My card has been great to me, I usually get 60 frames in most of my games so I really dont see the need to get a new gpu but I dont know which part to get. Is the problem just a cpu-gpu bottleneck, or just bad cpu performance. If I need to get a new cpu which is a good one that wont bottleneck the card? Will like an i7 6700k bottleneck the card i have now?

Specs - 

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz cpu

Asus z97 sabertooth mark 1 mobo

nvidia geforce gtx 750 ti ftw edition gpu

16 Gb of PNY ram

corsair cx 500m psu

Buy a new or used GPU, around the RX 470, RX480, GTX 1060, GTX 1050ti and a new or used k intel CPU for overclocking since you have a Z97 board, an I5 4690k is my recommendation. If you intend to overclock to the limit maybe get a new PSU too, but that can wait, a new GPU should be on your list of parts to hunt for, 2nd hand GTX 970's, 980's and R9 300 series and R9 200 series are also good choices but beware that the radeon cards can be power hogs.

So right now my computer is pretty alright to decent, I just recently bought my first 1080p monitos (always have been using 1366x768 monitors) and since I have been using this monitor a couple things have been noticed. First off I have been playing a LOT of battlefield 1 and it has little to no FPS problems, back on my 1366x768 monitors that is, usually CPU usage was sitting between 80-90% when playing and like I said there was no performance issues whatsoever. But since I got the 1080p monitor I have noticed a little dip in frames (like probably 5-10 which is a little noticeable) and so I looked at the task manager for the cpu usuage and now it usually is between 90-100% which I feel like is pretty bad situation, mostly because the entire usage bar is red, so now I know my computer is under a heavier load when using a higher resolution monitor, which is kinda obvious now that I think of it. So the question I am asking is should I get a better cpu, gpu, or both. My card has been great to me, I usually get 60 frames in most of my games so I really dont see the need to get a new gpu but I dont know which part to get. Is the problem just a cpu-gpu bottleneck, or just bad cpu performance. If I need to get a new cpu which is a good one that wont bottleneck the card? Will like an i7 6700k bottleneck the card i have now?

Specs - 

16 Gb of PNY ram

corsair cx 500m psu

No the card will bottleneck the i7 maybe a i5 6600 also you actullay might consider a gpu upgrade instead of a cpu one

My life

That GPU should be bottlenecking that CPU, not the other way around. You should probably get a 1060 or 1050 ti for better performance. As for the high CPU usage, do you have unnecessary programs running?

2 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

That GPU should be bottlenecking that CPU, not the other way around. You should probably get a 1060 or 1050 ti for better performance. As for the high CPU usage, do you have unnecessary programs running?

I have played bf1 with nothing else running and it usually brings it down like 3-5%, I usually only have the game, origin, and skype running. 

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

You mate, need a new gpu, not cpu.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

No the card will bottleneck the i7 maybe a i5 6600 also you actullay might consider a gpu upgrade instead of a cpu one

Ok thanks guys I will look into a new gpu, in the meantime what other good cards would be a good fit for my system (psu and cpu-wise)

Just now, mnash said:

Ok thanks guys I will look into a new gpu, in the meantime what other good cards would be a good fit for my system (psu and cpu-wise)

rx 470 or rx 480 gtx 1050 or 1060

My life

Just now, mnash said:

Also if I need a new card why is my cpu usage really high

Just now, mnash said:

Also if I need a new card why is my cpu usage really high

Not to be offensive both your cpu and gpu arent good its just that your gpu is worth

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Not to be offensive both your cpu and gpu arent good its just that your gpu is worth

None taken. And worth?

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Sorry worst

Ok. Also is it ok that my CPU usage is that high?

1 minute ago, mnash said:

Ok. Also is it ok that my CPU usage is that high?

Its safe but you should actullay upgrade your gpu first if gaming is the priority,or if you care about other things more such as music production or excel or homework get a better cpu

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Its safe but you should actullay upgrade your gpu first if gaming is the priority,or if you care about other things more such as music production or excel or homework get a better cpu

Ok thanks a lot guys you were a lot of help :D

23 minutes ago, mnash said:

Specs - 

16 Gb of PNY ram

corsair cx 500m psu

Buy a new or used GPU, around the RX 470, RX480, GTX 1060, GTX 1050ti and a new or used k intel CPU for overclocking since you have a Z97 board, an I5 4690k is my recommendation. If you intend to overclock to the limit maybe get a new PSU too, but that can wait, a new GPU should be on your list of parts to hunt for, 2nd hand GTX 970's, 980's and R9 300 series and R9 200 series are also good choices but beware that the radeon cards can be power hogs.

Yours faithfully

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

So like a 980 would have sufficient power with the psu that I have?

6 minutes ago, mnash said:

So like a 980 would have sufficient power with the psu that I have?

Yes, a 500 watt is the recommended minimum but if you overclock it a lot it might put a little strain on it, for now it should be fine.

Yours faithfully

13 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, a 500 watt is the recommended minimum but if you overclock it a lot it might put a little strain on it, for now it should be fine.

But the psu is also being used by the other parts so wouldn't it not be enough. 

Just now, mnash said:

But the psu is also being used by the other parts so wouldn't it not be enough. 

no, the power draw of the GTX 980 isn't that high, taking into account everything else in a well balanced system there would be power so spare but not much. 

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

no, the power draw of the GTX 980 isn't that high, taking into account everything else in a well balanced system there would be power so spare but not much. 

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2ON9B6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_li5oybREVCAMS would this GPU be alright? And would I be able to play with the Vive with my current system?

14 hours ago, mnash said:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2ON9B6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_li5oybREVCAMS would this GPU be alright? And would I be able to play with the Vive with my current system?

14 hours ago, mnash said:

Or should I just go for the Radeon RX 480 cheaper and it has 8gb instead of 4

If you only want to buy new I'd advise the RX480 because it's about the same speed for less, but you should look at the different technologies and extras that both offer. You should also consider what games you actually play, some run better on Green and others on Red.

Yours faithfully

4 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

If you only want to buy new I'd advise the RX480 because it's about the same speed for less, but you should look at the different technologies and extras that both offer. You should also consider what games you actually play, some run better on Green and others on Red.

Green and red?

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Nvidia (Green) and AMD/ATi (red). 

Oh ok thanks. I will put both the 970 and the 480 into consideration :)