Post Code 00 -- Really afraid I shorted my Mobo...

gioGats

Hey guys,

First PC build here, and I'm getting pretty nervous.

I've got an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, Intel i7-6800k, and Corsair 4x8GB, 3000 MHz Ram, Corsair HX1000i.  

I was able to boot the system, run bios, and run trial linux ubuntu outside the case.  Updated to the latest MSI Bios while on the testbench (mobo box).  Installed everything and now getting post code 00.  CPU fan and RAM are lighting up, but nothing else.  I've tried troubleshooting guides on here and Tom's Hardware, including running on a single stick of RAM, reseating power cables, removing everything except for the bare essentials.  Nothing has any effect.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I was having a small issue earlier (that is persisting) where the system won't reset.  When it was booting to bios, pressing reset or telling it to reset through bios would either do nothing or cause the system to just shut off.  Then it wouldn't boot again until I cycled the power supply.  

Any wisdom greatly appreciated!

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Make sure a your power connectors are in

All the right power connectors are in... double and triple reseated and checked

1 minute ago, gioGats said:

All the right power connectors are in... double and triple reseated and checked

Did ypu install the Standoffs properly 

My life

The only thing on that list I haven't tried is the system speaker, because that's the one part I don't have. 

Double check the standoffs are mounted correctly. Then, clear the CMOS by either removing the battery or using the jumper on the motherboard. Unplug everything that's not absolutely essential, including the GPU- plug directly into the motherboard. Then, check your motherboards DIMM slot configuartion, remove all the RAM except for one stick, seated in the proper DIMM slot (this is important, any old DIMM slot won't do). See if you get a post. If you don't, swap out the stick for another one and try again. 

CPU: i7-4790 GPU: R9 Nitro Fury Tri-X RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz | SSD: 480GB PNY PSU: EVGA 850BQ

Jr. Systems Administrator

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

2 minutes ago, gioGats said:

The only thing on that list I haven't tried is the system speaker, because that's the one part I don't have. 

Damn I got nothing then

My life

1 minute ago, Saurfang said:

Double check the standoffs are mounted correctly. Then, clear the CMOS by either removing the battery or using the jumper on the motherboard. Unplug everything that's not absolutely essential, including the GPU- plug directly into the motherboard. Then, check your motherboards DIMM slot configuartion, remove all the RAM except for one stick, seated in the proper DIMM slot (this is important, any old DIMM slot won't do). See if you get a post. If you don't, swap out the stick for another one and try again. 

Unfortunately, tried all of that as well.  I'm currently pulling the mobo out of the case to see if it will boot back on the box...

Now that I look at this from a different point of view it might be a BIOS issue

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Now that I look at this from a different point of view it might be a BIOS issue

Possible. However MSI's Z170 has 'Flashback+' which still lets the computer turn on and tell you the BIOS is corrupted, at which point it will do a restore. If he's getting nothing at all and it is a BIOS issue then I don't have much else to offer. 

CPU: i7-4790 GPU: R9 Nitro Fury Tri-X RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz | SSD: 480GB PNY PSU: EVGA 850BQ

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

ME thinks something happened on the test bench wehn you updated your BIOS try updating it agin maybe 

My life

Before securing your components into the case did you test them to ensure stability?

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

ME thinks something happened on the test bench wehn you updated your BIOS try updating it agin maybe 

How's he supposed to do this if the system doesn't even boot? Not sarcasm, genuinely curious if I'm missing something here.

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

Ran fine on the test bench with the updated bios.  Tried CMOS.

You may have installed or corrupted your Ubuntu OS. (doubtful)

Currently there are no hard drives connected.  Just CPU and GPU.

Do you have another PSU to test with?

Unfortunately no, but it was working fine with this PSU before I installed it in the case.

2 minutes ago, iLenovo said:

You may have installed or corrupted your Ubuntu OS. (doubtful)

1 minute ago, gioGats said:

Currently there are no hard drives connected.  Just CPU and GPU.

Good, but makes no difference. A corrupted OS installation doesn't prevent a system from posting. The last thing I got for you is to put it back on the test bench. See if it works there. 

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

1 minute ago, Saurfang said:

Good, but makes no difference. A corrupted OS installation doesn't prevent a system from posting. The last thing I got for you is to put it back on the test bench. See if it works there. 

Just pulled it from the case and back on the test bench.  Still 00.

Tried slow mode boot as well, with no luck.

Just now, gioGats said:

Just pulled it from the case and back on the test bench.  Still 00.

Welp. How long have you had the mobo, is it still under warranty? That's all I got. Best of luck to you, but I think you may need to cut your losses here.

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

Just got the mobo this Wednesday, so yes.  I think I might just RMA it on Monday and hope for the best.

3 hours ago, gioGats said:

Just got the mobo this Wednesday, so yes.  I think I might just RMA it on Monday and hope for the best.

I certainly in no way at all advice you to claim it was DOA. Definitely don't do that. Totally unethical. Not in any way suggesting you do that. Nope. Definitely not. 

you should do that

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

3 minutes ago, Saurfang said:

I certainly in no way at all advice you to claim it was DOA. Definitely don't do that. Totally unethical. Not in any way suggesting you do that. Nope. Definitely not. 

you should do that

Then what?  Just buy a whole new board and throw this one in the trash?