Ubuntu Not Saving Installation

inb4ban
Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

You need to not boot from the USB after installing. If you already removed the USB and it still doesn't work, check your BIOS to make sure it is booting off the hard drive.

Hello. I have recently tried to install elementaryOS and Ubuntu on a practically dead PC I revived. I am booting it through a USB drive. When the installation is done, it says "Restart your computer to finish installation." After restarting, it displays the same screen from the beginning installation. This is the menu:

• Try Ubuntu without installing
  • Install Ubuntu
  • OEM Install (for manufacturers)
  • Check disk

I am very frustrated because I cannnot boot into my OS. I can basically only use the pre-install demo. Please help!

You need to not boot from the USB after installing. If you already removed the USB and it still doesn't work, check your BIOS to make sure it is booting off the hard drive.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

It does not work without the USB. I have no idea how to access the BIOS considering it has no information on it. Im pretty sure it is an HP Pavilion P7. I have tried F10, F9, F12, Alt. 

3 hours ago, inb4ban said:

It does not work without the USB. I have no idea how to access the BIOS considering it has no information on it. Im pretty sure it is an HP Pavilion P7. I have tried F10, F9, F12, Alt. 

What does it say or do without the USB? Any messages?

Look at the side of your computer. If it is an HP, it'll have a sticker on it with the info on it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

3 minutes ago, Albatross said:

What does it say or do without the USB? Any messages?

Look at the side of your computer. If it is an HP, it'll have a sticker on it with the info on it.

It is an HP Pavilion Slimline 400. As with the USB, are you talking about with it unplugged or at startup with it plugged in?

It is an HP Pavilion Slimline 400. As with the USB, are you talking about with it unplugged or at startup with it plugged in?

Unplugged. What does the computer do when you remove the USB after install and try to boot.

Try pressing ESC multiple times during boot and see if it gets you into BIOS.

Unplugged. What does the computer do when you remove the USB after install and try to boot.

Alright. I'll try that now.

6 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Okay, startup without USB came up with a spooky result that began to fill my terminal. [forgot number] Unable to read cache 

I think I figured it out. In the boot BIOS do I boot from 'ubuntu' or 'Lexar Flash Drive'

Okay, startup without USB came up with a spooky result that began to fill my terminal. [forgot number] Unable to read cache 

I think I figured it out. In the boot BIOS do I boot from 'ubuntu' or 'Lexar Flash Drive'

Select Ubuntu after you installed and removed the USB.

Okay. Also, when I tried to install Apricity, it came up with "Invalid signature", and then it rambled about SecureBoot.

Okay. Also, when I tried to install Apricity, it came up with "Invalid signature", and then it rambled about SecureBoot.

Get into the BIOS and turn off Secure Boot.

4 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Get into the BIOS and turn off Secure Boot.

Where exactly is that?

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!

3 hours ago, iLenovo said:

Where exactly is that?

I don't own your HP so I can't be sure. Just scroll through the tabs with your keyboard if it is an older BIOS and mouse if it is new, and then look for "Secure Boot". You will have to highlight it and then disable it.

EDIT

Wow...did you just change accounts? xD

4 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I don't own your HP so I can't be sure. Just scroll through the tabs with your keyboard if it is an older BIOS and mouse if it is new, and then look for "Secure Boot". You will have to highlight it and then disable it.

EDIT

Wow...did you just change accounts? xD

Yeah. You fixed my problem. Thanks!

By the way, this is my other account I forgot about. I logged into the wrong one.

Yeah. You fixed my problem. Thanks!

By the way, this is my other account I forgot about. I logged into the wrong one.

So you can boot into Ubuntu/whatever OS you installed? If so, yay! :D

So you can boot into Ubuntu/whatever OS you installed? If so, yay! :D

As of now, im waiting for Ubuntu to finish the regular install, I accidentally did the OEM install :/

As of now, im waiting for Ubuntu to finish the regular install, I accidentally did the OEM install :/

Okay, if you still need help, be sure to post back with details. :)