First build? im clueless XD

SirYanthon
Go to solution Solved by brob,
2 hours ago, EdgieHippie said:

sorry to bug you again, but just to clarify, going from a 6700k to a 6800k i would notice the better editing ability, but i probably wouldnt notice any worse at gaming? if so then it would be worth the extra 200

Correct. The worth is really up to you.

This is an i7-6800K build with a GTX 1080. Using a GTX 1070 brings the cost down significantly.

I suggest an AIO cpu cooler for the 140W i7 cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-E ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($208.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($96.99 @ Jet) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($124.60 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($629.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.05 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1642.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-27 16:59 EST-0500

hello, my current pc is a laptop i7-2630qm, 16gb ram, gt540m 2gb, and runs fine for gaming, but is slow af when video editing. im considering building a desktop but have no idea where to begin. my main priority is video editing, but would also like to be able to run vr. idk what processor to get, whether or not 32gb ram would be overkill, whether or not to get a single gpu or to do SLI, what cards to get for that, but i am especially lost when it comes to mother boards. i would probably be putting an elgato hd60pro in it, and would like to have a 500gb ssd for startup and then maybe a 1tb hdd, since ive got a 4tb external. idk if any raid configs would be useful or overkill. also, i might run 3 monitors someday, but im thinking id probably save up for a 4k instead. i have all my periferals taken care of, and have an aboslute max budget of 1700, but id like to keep it under 1000, and idealy under 700. i was originally gonna wait until next year, but my computer is starting to have issues since its 5 years old. sorry to rush but id also like to have this figured out by monday so i can get some online deals. all help much appreciated

15 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

hello, my current pc is a laptop i7-2630qm, 16gb ram, gt540m 2gb, and runs fine for gaming, but is slow af when video editing. im considering building a desktop but have no idea where to begin. my main priority is video editing, but would also like to be able to run vr. idk what processor to get, whether or not 32gb ram would be overkill, whether or not to get a single gpu or to do SLI, what cards to get for that, but i am especially lost when it comes to mother boards. i would probably be putting an elgato hd60pro in it, and would like to have a 500gb ssd for startup and then maybe a 1tb hdd, since ive got a 4tb external. idk if any raid configs would be useful or overkill. also, i might run 3 monitors someday, but im thinking id probably save up for a 4k instead. i have all my periferals taken care of, and have an aboslute max budget of 1700, but id like to keep it under 1000, and idealy under 700. i was originally gonna wait until next year, but my computer is starting to have issues since its 5 years old. sorry to rush but id also like to have this figured out by monday so i can get some online deals. all help much appreciated

Hiya - Firstly what country are you buying in? It'll be much easier to give you a starting build if we know that :P
Also - overclocking ok or nah?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VjDLwV

From the information I have - this build here should suit you very well.
Feel free to change out your preferred storage and case options if you want to go cheaper, and there are multiple 1070's to choose from.
It's basically what PCpartpicker recommends for editing... so it should be all good :P
The CPU cooler is only there if you want to swap out the 6700 for a 6700K. If you don't want overclocking then get rid of the cooler as well.

Hope that helps

Hey! I already gave you a build for $700, here's a build for $1000

32GB RAM is only really needed for 4K video editing. If you wanna do that at some point, just buy another kit of 16

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1000.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 23:05 EST-0500

Edit: better PSU and non-overkill cooling.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hey! I already gave you a build for $700, here's a build for $1000

32GB RAM is only really needed for 4K video editing. If you wanna do that at some point, just buy another kit of 16

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1000.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 23:05 EST-0500

Edit: better PSU and non-overkill cooling.

Not saying your suggested build isn't well thought out (it's probably better than my internet grown one), but could you explain why people seem to be adding such expensive motherboards to builds like this? Does the ASRock have any added features to the Z170 from MSI? Or is it just build quality?
TY in advance :P

ohh, im in america, and i have no idea about overclocking :/ maybe you could bhelp me understand the benifits and drawback of it?

also yes energycore im keeping that other build in mind aswell :)

12 minutes ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Hiya - Firstly what country are you buying in? It'll be much easier to give you a starting build if we know that :P
Also - overclocking ok or nah?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/77JLwV

From the information I have - this build here should suit you very well.
Feel free to change out your preferred storage and case options if you want to go cheaper, and there are multiple 1070's to choose from.
It's basically what PCpartpicker recommends for editing... so it should be all good :P
The CPU cooler is only there if you want to swap out the 6700 for a 6700K. If you don't want overclocking then get rid of the cooler as well.

Hope that helps

do you think a single 1070 will be enough? idk the differences between that and the 1080, or any of the other options. i heard the titan x is good, but again, idk how it ranks, or if itd be worth it xD

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

ohh, im in america, and i have no idea about overclocking :/ maybe you could bhelp me understand the benifits and drawback of it?

also yes energycore im keeping that other build in mind aswell :)

OK sweet.
Overclocking basically involves putting more power through your CPU to get more performance out of it. This used to be quite temperamental to get stable overclocks, but there are plenty of programs out there now that will help you with it. The higher current and harder working processor generate more heat, which is why replacing the stock heatsink when overclocking is generally a good idea.

4 minutes ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Not saying your suggested build isn't well thought out (it's probably better than my internet grown one), but could you explain why people seem to be adding such expensive motherboards to builds like this? Does the ASRock have any added features to the Z170 from MSI? Or is it just build quality?
TY in advance :P

It received an award over at tomshardware for almost reaching the highest OC that they saw on the most expensive Z170 motherboards, and also should help with setting your RAM to run at 3000 without a hitch while not having to dial back the CPU OC.

Oh it also looks dope af :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

do you think a single 1070 will be enough? idk the differences between that and the 1080, or any of the other options. i heard the titan x is good, but again, idk how it ranks, or if itd be worth it xD

Both the 1070 and 1080 are faster than the Titan X in every way except for water surface rendering, and then there is a very minimal difference. If you're doing massive videos in 4k resolution, perhaps you will benefit from a 1080 (The Titan XP is basically overkill for everything atm) , but otherwise the 1070 will definitely be fine.

oh, well im thinking id probably not be overclocking on this build, also, i should have added, perhaps yall may know any decently priced 4k monitors?

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It received an award over at tomshardware for almost reaching the highest OC that they saw on the most expensive Z170 motherboards, and also should help with setting your RAM to run at 3000 without a hitch while not having to dial back the CPU OC.

Oh it also looks dope af :P

Oh so it's got a great reputation for high and stable overclocks then? 
I might use it myself in that case :)

Thanks heaps

1 minute ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Both the 1070 and 1080 are faster than the Titan X in every way except for water surface rendering, and then there is a very minimal difference. If you're doing massive videos in 4k resolution, perhaps you will benefit from a 1080 (The Titan XP is basically overkill for everything atm) , but otherwise the 1070 will definitely be fine.

ohh, thats suprising. i thought the titan x was better than the 1080 xD i dont think id be doing any 4k editing, mainly 720p for uploading to youtube

shoot, i just thought of something, id like a 4k monitor for more space when editing, but if i ran a 4k signal into the elgatohd60pro idk if it would be able to downscale it and still have it look good

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

oh, well im thinking id probably not be overclocking on this build, also, i should have added, perhaps yall may know any decently priced 4k monitors?

If you aren't overclocking, use this instead

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Kb9MTH

The 6700K is still there because it's cheaper than the 6700 atm, but the motherboard and cooler have gone down to a more reasonable price

ohh, thats suprising. i thought the titan x was better than the 1080 xD i dont think id be doing any 4k editing, mainly 720p for uploading to youtube

The Titan X 2015 Edition is slower but the Titan X 2016 Edition is faster (for games, for video editing the differences are small, just have a GPU with at least 1050 Ti power and you're good (you want a better one anyway, for gaming purposes))

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

also forgot to ask, do yall think a quad core hyper threaded cpu would be good enough? or would i benifit from a 6 core hyper threaded. also, is there any tangible difference between the 4core 8 thread and a 8 core 8 thread?

and is watercooling actually any better than fans? or is it just for the swag of it xD

also forgot to ask, do yall think a quad core hyper threaded cpu would be good enough? or would i benifit from a 6 core hyper threaded. also, is there any tangible difference between the 4core 8 thread and a 8 core 8 thread?

Yes it will be good enough.
The difference for you will non-existant

and is watercooling actually any better than fans? or is it just for the swag of it xD

Yes, yes it is. (But the swagg is cool too ;) )

The Titan X Pascal is better than the GTX 1080 in gaming. Previous generations of Titan were not.

shoot, i just thought of something, id like a 4k monitor for more space when editing, but if i ran a 4k signal into the elgatohd60pro idk if it would be able to downscale it and still have it look good

Can you not use the gpu to record game play?

An i7-6800K would push the budget up around 1,500 - 1,600. 

For overclocking liquid cooling is generally better. However, it is not necessary and a good air tower can lead to quieter operation.

If the cost is to be minimized, then an i7-6700 will provide very decent editing performance and excellent game play. In fact better gaming than an i7-6800.

I would suggest something like the following. No need to overclock the cpu. It can be overclocked, but the fact is that the price differential between the locked and unlocked version of the i7-6700 is very small.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($384.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1130.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 23:20 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 minutes ago, brob said:

The Titan X Pascal is better than the GTX 1080 in gaming. Previous generations of Titan were not.

Can you not use the gpu to record game play?

An i7-6800K would push the budget up around 1,500 - 1,600. 

For overclocking liquid cooling is generally better. However, it is not necessary and a good air tower can lead to quieter operation.

If the cost is to be minimized, then an i7-6700 will provide very decent editing performance and excellent game play. In fact better gaming than an i7-6800.

I would suggest something like the following. No need to overclock the cpu. It can be overclocked, but the fact is that the price differential between the locked and unlocked version of the i7-6700 is very small.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($384.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1130.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 23:20 EST-0500

still priceyer than id like, but looking more like what i need i think. why is the 6700 better than the 6800 tho? that seems counter intuitive

also, idk if any of yall would know if perhaps part of my problem right now is that im using nch videopad for my editing cause i couldnt afford decent editing software until now i got my tax return which is the only reason im considering building a pc, the original plan was to deal with my current one for anouther year xD if i were to get a new rig, idk if videopad would be able to make use of all the new power, or if id have to upgrade my software too to have any noticable increase in performance as far as editing is concerned

also, i could use the gpu to record gameplay, but my internet can only handle uploading 720p. im probably gona stick with a 1080p monitor for now

im sorry, that previous post made no sense. im getting tired xD my concern is that fraps uses alot of cpu, and also, ive already got an hd60 and am going to run a dual computer setup, and have my old computer record whats going on in the new one for gameplay, and then use the new computer for editing