Need help on what to pick for first pc!

I'm a console peasant as of the moment and I'm buying a gaming pc this christmas with a core i5-6500 and a gpu of ??? well. That is why I'm here I need your help I've been earning money for a long time and have been researching for months but I still can't decide between an RX 480 or a GTX 1060. This is my first ever pc build so please guide me, I don't plan to be overclocking in ANY way. I know that the 1060 seems to be more powerful than the rx 480 but the rx 480 seems to be better suited for the future. Ok so heres what I want, Something that won't break easily and will last really long I mean its really hard to earn this much money for this build I don't want to be upgrading anytime soon I still want to be enjoying my latest AAA games in 60fps for the next 6-7 years..Lot's of people say AMD cards and cpus heat up alot but. Well I won't overclock so I don't get the point of my possible AMD card heating up. Jayztwocents did a review of a GTR XFX RX 480 8GB and it cooled around 60 degrees C.But alot of people keep going for the green team cause of the better power and higher framerates. So please help me with my decision on picking between the GTX 1060 and RX 480 please also include why you picked the card and how it will benefit me. Thank you so much in advance to all! :) (I'm not biased on either the AMD or Nvidia I just want to have the best experience I can have for the longest time possible thats why I came to you guys for help on deciding)

I will also be playing games like.

Battlefield 1, GTA V or Witcher 3, Dota/LoL , Arma 3

Basically its a mix of different genre's. FPS, Open-world, Moba, and Strategic Shooter

I hope I get to decide what card I would get.

Edited by androthemofo

I would go with the 1060, since it is VR ready, and you only have to spend about 50-100 dollars more (USD).  The RX480 is a great card, but it all depends on what games you play.  If you play a lot of graphics-intensive games, 1060.  CPU-intensive games, RX480.  If you play a mix of both, 1060.  

@elbarto2003 Thanks for your opinion do mind that the RX 480 is also VR-READY, But how will the 1060 go for future proofing though?

27 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

@elbarto2003 Thanks for your opinion do mind that the RX 480 is also VR-READY, But how will the 1060 go for future proofing though?

No such thing as actual "future proofing", however, the RX 480 supports DX12 way better than the GTX 1060. Games are (somewhat slowly) moving towards DX12, so that might be considered "future proofing". Right now, though, the GTX 1060 is a better value and has higher performance than the RX 480.

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

No such thing as actual "future proofing", however, the RX 480 supports DX12 way better than the GTX 1060. Games are (somewhat slowly) moving towards DX12, so that might be considered "future proofing". Right now, though, the GTX 1060 is a better value and has higher performance than the RX 480.

So what do you recommend the 1060 or the 480?

9 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

1060 is like 15% more powerful than RX 480.

But an overclocked RX 480 will kick the ass of the 1060 on so many title.

And u can buy a free-sync monitor if u are going to stick with the red team.

Which is cheaper than those g-sync counterpart.

Really funny that you're supporting the 480 while you have a 1060.

9 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

So what do you recommend the 1060 or the 480?

I can't say for sure since I've never used either and don't fully know your situation, but I would generally recommend the RX 480. As a side note, neither of these GPUs will probably give you 1080p 60FPS high/ultra settings on AAA titles for the next 6-7 years, but 8GB VRAM will help, so an 8GB RX 480 is a good choice.

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

Really funny that you're supporting the 1060 while you have a 1060.

I can't say for sure since I've never used either and don't fully know your situation, but I would generally recommend the RX 480. As a side note, neither of these GPUs will probably give you 1080p 60FPS high/ultra settings on AAA titles for the next 6-7 years, but 8GB VRAM will help, so an 8GB RX 480 is a good choice.

Thanks for your opinion but I'm still unsure which I should get. I do hope I don't go wrong on either

Don't worry, you essentially can't "go wrong" with these parts no matter what you choose. It's a matter of preference and budget. Best of luck with your new build, you'll enjoy PC gaming so much more than playing on a console if I'd have to take a guess.

1 minute ago, androthemofo said:

Thanks for your opinion but I'm still unsure which I should get. I do hope I don't go wrong on either

I know exactly how you feel. I usually waffle on any purchases (especially expensive computer parts/peripherals) for days, if not weeks. I don't make much money, in fact, I just got a job a few weeks ago, so I'm just starting to make money consistently. The best thing you can do is learn as much as you can about both cards, especially their performance in the games you want to play, compared head to head if possible. Then, just make the best decision you can from what you know. Neither card is really a bad decision in that price range. Just make sure you're looking at the RX 480 8GB and the GTX 1060 6GB. Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

U mean i am supporting the RX 480 while i have the 1060?
Yep i am a funny girl.
Thats called thinking..i am a neutron not a fanboy.

I always suggest something thats the best for their needs.

I choose 1060 because i have G-sync monitor in here.

And i never plan on overclocking my gpu either.

I'm actually just gonna be using our living room tv for now.

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Yep i am a funny girl.

Yeah, I realized and edited it. I understand your position, just thought it was kind of funny.

3 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Yep i am a funny girl.

Also is overclocking an RX 480 safe? Considering all the AMD heating rumors/issues?

3 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

Also is overclocking an RX 480 safe? Considering all the AMD heating rumors/issues?

As long as you get one with a good cooling solution, you'll be perfectly fine. Take a look at this video for a well overclocked RX 480 with good temps.

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

The overdrawing power from pcie and temperature issues only occur on the reference version of RX 480.

But they already addressed the PCIE overdrawing power issues. as for the temperature i dont know.

And most people buy an AIB card anyway.

Yes overclocking a GPU is safe.

If u never do it before then u should look for the tutorial.

Buy the one from XFX. its called XFX RX 480 Gtr.

I heard its the best RX 480 in the market, its cooler (temperature) than any other RX 480. 

That's the one in the video I linked. xD

Just now, Thread212 said:

I didnt realized that.

I just have watched the video from jayztwocentz on XFX 480Gtr 5 days ago.

So thats why i am suggesting him to buy it. :P 

That's the exact video I linked too. xD

3 minutes ago, JFischer00 said:

That's the one in the video I linked. xD

Its an alright card, seems Jay got a cherry picked one. i hit higher temps than his 1475mhz was hitting when im running 1420

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

I didnt realized that.

I just have watched the video from jayztwocentz on XFX 480Gtr 5 days ago.

So thats why i am suggesting him to buy it. :P 

The XFX RX 480 GTR is definitely what I am going to get if I decide to go to the red teams side for my first build. Those Blue fans though.

23 hours ago, Thread212 said:

Look. now u already know the pros and cons of both gpu right?
Our point is.

No matter which GPU u choose u still be able to play AAA games at stable 60fps (if there's no bottleneck in ur system) And besides the 1060 arent that powerful comparing to the 480.
So if u already knew the pros and cons of them.

Then its time for your too choose.

And welcome to PC MASTER RACE. 

MAY OUR FRAMERATE BE HIGH AND TEMPERATURE LOW.

MASTER RACE.jpg

WOAH what a great welcome thank you :) I think I've decided a bit more.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:52 PM, Thread212 said:

Just letting u know that PC MASTER RACE is not what console peasant think.

And u are not console peasant.

Console peasant mean console fanboy who always bashing on pc gamer no matter how inferior they are.

Fanboy..u get it right?

I get it