How's this X99 build?

OnionRings

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/OnionRings/saved/yCrVnQ 

Never done X99, can't build my dream build as soon as I want so instead I'm just gonna save up slowly and go for this, I figure by the time I can afford my dream build the 6700k won't be best anymore, some games are starting to take advantage of more then 4 cores (not many but some) plus the extra 2 cores will help with my youtube channel.

Uses : Heavy gaming, 1080p60 editing, 1080p60 rendering, 1080p60 streaming.

CPU : Want to grab the 6800k for the reason I said above, not too much more then the 6700k and the extra 2 cores will help

CPU cooler : Tech Deals recommended it, better then the h110

Motherboard : Highest rated black and red board

RAM : Not sure here, should I use all 8 slots or just use 4 in quad channel array? Wanting 32GB total.

Storage : 1TB SSD main drive, 1TB HDD backup for mass storage

GPU : 1070 is my dream card, won't need anything better as I don't feel like spending 600$ on 4k monitors, plus no current GPU's can really max 4k anyway at 60 fps, so I'm sticking with 1440.

Case : Personal choice, spacey, looks good with AIO's

PSU : Probably don't need 850w or a platinum but if I'm spending this much I want to be sure its behind that platinum godliness

Fan : exhaust, high cfm, looks good, good reviews, 140mm, pwm

Monitors : 1080P monitors but should do 1440 since my current 1080ps do 1440, don't know why 1080p monitors do 1440 when they are marked as 1080 but idc, in the event they can't do 1440 ill stick to 1080 or find better monitors (current ones are G227HQL) they are also 144hz 1ms

Keyboard : personal choice

Thoughts? Changes? More so on the motherboard, ram, maybe monitors? Can any confirm if those can do 1440?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Using that many 4GB sticks is kind of dumb, get four 8GB sticks instead. You'll still quad channel speeds, even though it won't really make a difference.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Just now, Litargirio said:

Using that many 4GB sticks is kind of dumb, get four 8GB sticks instead. You'll still quad channel speeds, even though it won't really make a difference.

Thank you, as I'm knew to X99 I did not know. I just assumed filling all slots was best. It looks better but it won't matter too much as I'm not using LED ram.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

Thank you, as I'm knew to X99 I did not know. I just assumed filling all slots was best. It looks better but it won't matter too much as I'm not using LED ram.

Actually I might be using LED ram, the cheapest kit is this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hPFXsY/corsair-vengeance-led-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-cmu32gx4m4c3000c15r however it has no reviews, should I trust it? Corsair is a good company I doubt they would sell bad ram. Ofc all ram has a chance at being bad, but I mean bad as in just poor.

CPU

The motherboard is kinda old and might not work with that CPU unless you update its BIOS, and to do this you'd need a Haswell-E chip.

Since you probably don't own a Haswell-E CPU, I'd suggest buying specifically a Skylake-E board, basically one of the newer X99 boards that have been specifically released to go along with this newer line of CPUs.

4 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

should I trust it?

Yes. Even in the unlikely event that it does break, Corsair has lifetime warranty on all of their memory, so you'd get a new one.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

The motherboard is kinda old and might not work with that CPU unless you update its BIOS, and to do this you'd need a Haswell-E chip.

Since you probably don't own a Haswell-E CPU, I'd suggest buying specifically a Skylake-E board, basically one of the newer X99 boards that have been specifically released to go along with this newer line of CPUs.

Yes. Even in the unlikely event that it does break, Corsair has lifetime warranty on all of their memory, so you'd get a new one.

Thank you, any mother board suggestions? I'll take them. Black or red preferred. No white. And that's what I thought with the RAM, plus even though there are no reviews on PCPP I found some good ones on newegg.

CPU

No idea what I'm looking for on these motherboards, I only have like 20 to pick from, all with less then 20 ratings, the highest rated is the one I had but I don't want the thing you said as no I do not own an extra cpu to update the bios

CPU

Did I say Skylake-E? I actually meant to say Broadwell-E. Skylake-E doesn't exist.

Anyway, the manufacturers seem to have abandoned the overused black and red colour scheme, the only board I could find like that is this one from MSI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130934&cm_mmc=unlocked-_-article-_-broadwell-_-motherboards

Just now, OnionRings said:

No idea what I'm looking for on these motherboards, I only have like 20 to pick from, all with less then 20 ratings

Motherboards are motherboards. It doesn't make a difference. Unless you buy from a shitty brand like Biostar, that is.

1 minute ago, Litargirio said:

Did I say Skylake-E? I actually meant to say Broadwell-E. Skylake-E doesn't exist.

Anyway, the manufacturers seem to have abandoned the overused black and red colour scheme, the only board I could find like that is this one from MSI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130934&cm_mmc=unlocked-_-article-_-broadwell-_-motherboards

Motherboards are motherboards. It doesn't make a difference. Unless you buy from a shitty brand like Biostar, that is.

That's not what I meant by the bottom part, the part I meant was I don't know which ones are newer, you said not to pick the old type as they need a bios update.

Edit : No red is fine, can just add LED strips or fans.

Edited by OnionRings

CPU

Just now, OnionRings said:

That's not what I meant by the bottom part, the part I meant was I don't know which ones are newer, you said not to pick the old type as they need a bios update.

You just google "x99 broadwell e motherboard".

Just now, Litargirio said:

You just google "x99 broadwell e motherboard".

Right... I meant on PCPP but I guess I don't have to use PCPP as I'll probably just assemble all my parts on amazon anyway.

CPU

15 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Right... I meant on PCPP but I guess I don't have to use PCPP as I'll probably just assemble all my parts on amazon anyway.

You can google it first and then type it onto PCPP. It's what most ppl do... I think?

Remember to use Linus' affiliate link.

5 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

You can google it first and then type it onto PCPP. It's what most ppl do... I think?

Remember to use Linus' affiliate link.

Linus is already rich, I was thinking about finding a smaller channel and supporting them. I know I know the treachery oh no. I haven't fully decided, probably can't even afford to build this for another 6 months anyway.

CPU

This just seems like a pain, even the board you linked needs a bios update. I might just try and find a 6 core Z170 or stick to the 6700k... #Poorpeopleproblems #Nostashofcpus

Edit : Maybe not, idfk anymore. Amazon reviewers said it needs a bios update, PCPP reviewers say it works out of the box. D:

Edited by OnionRings

CPU

Look at the release date. If it was released recently along with broadwell-e chips, then it was made specifically for this line and doesn't need an update. If it is older, then it was released for haswell-e and therefore does need an update.

Also, you are a filthy traitor.

6 hours ago, OnionRings said:

You were actually correct in your first assumption.  At least with regards to mid to higher end Asus boards.  

Asus' topology for memory is pretty great and the more DIMMs you populate, the more your memory bandwidth increases.  This doesn't occur with all x99 motherboards.  

Additionally, in the world of x99, CPU cache overclocking does not occur equally across all motherboards.  Asus once again leads in this area.  CPU cache speeds directly impact memory bandwidth and latency in x99, so the previous statement of motherboards being motherboards isn't true at all with regards to x99.

Get the right motherboard.  It doesn't have to be something as incredible as the ROG Rampage V Edition 10, but get a decent quality board.  If you can afford the mentioned board, definitely do so as it's a beast.  The point is, they are not all the same.

With regards to boards that support Broadwell-E (BWE) out of the box, they are commonly referred to as "x99 refresh boards".  Any of the Asus boards with "II" on the end will be a refresh board and support BWE without a BIOS update.  Even if you get a slightly older non-refresh board, as long as you get a board that supports BIOS flashing without a CPU or memory, as many of the Asus boards do, then you can upgrade the BIOS without an older Haswell-E (HWE) chip or memory installed.

Your build sounds great.  Hopefully you can everything you need sooner than later.  Wait too long and you'll want to abandon x99 in favor of Skylake-X / LGA 2066.  I've personally  suspended any upgrading to my x99 platform as I'm focused on Skylake-X from here on out.

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You were actually correct in your first assumption.  At least with regards to mid to higher end Asus boards.  

Asus' topology for memory is pretty great and the more DIMMs you populate, the more your memory bandwidth increases.

Yet in real life the increase in bandwith does not equal to an increase in performance. You even lose a few FPS in some games. 

Leaving slots empty, on the other hand, leaves the possibility of being able to add more RAM. Plus, a stick of 8GB is easier to reuse in the far future than two 4GB sticks, because of it being more compact.

17 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Yet in real life the increase in bandwith does not equal to an increase in performance. You even lose a few FPS in some games. 

Leaving slots empty, on the other hand, leaves the possibility of being able to add more RAM. Plus, a stick of 8GB is easier to reuse in the far future than two 4GB sticks, because of it being more compact.

I'm not sure how bandwidth has benefited you in your x99 rig, but in general, memory bandwidth and low latency to x99 is the same thing as high memory frequency to Skylake.  Benefit depends on the task at hand.  In most games, probably not, but he did mention that he planned to do more than gaming alone with this build.  With that said, he will more than likely notice the increased bandwidth.

Relevance is completely subjective.   I was simply letting him know that his initial assumption was correct.

I can't fill all the slots anyway cus I can't find an array of 8 sticks equaling 32GB even when I tried two 16g in 4x4 none, not in the LED ram anyway which I'd like to keep as it matches the h115i block LED nicely. The board " mentioned " you mean the MSI one Lit linked me earlier? I could use an asus board too, Tech Deals vouches for them, its just alot of them have white, I dislike white.

CPU

Nevermind didn't realize I chose a different ram, aprently last night (I was so tired I forgot half the shit I did) I found 2 16g kits of 4x4  red LPX, that's fine with me the LED isn't a must have, was just sexy. What about this board? The Strix X99 gaming, any idea if its a refresh? If worse comes to worse I can just deal with the white on the II boards but I wish not to, I checked out another one I think it was called the sabertooth, the one thats all grey with a shroud, could be an option, but more expensive.

CPU