Reuse old Windows on new PC?

jasonycw

Hi!

I am about to upgrade my PC from Z77 to Z170 platform, can I reuse my old SSD (with non OEM version Windows 7 installed) and HDD setup without complete reinstall of Windows?

I had Googled a bit and found some say yes, and some say not.

Some say just connect the drive to new PC and go to safemode to uninstall old driver and install new drivers will work

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/upgrading-hardware-tips-moving-windows-installation-without-reinstall/

Some say using the Windows 7 System Preparation Tool (sysprep) to generalize the OS and it will work like a fresh install one

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

https://www.oxhow.com/transfer-installed-windows-7-to-a-new-computer/

Some say just connect the SSD only and use Win7 DVD to do a Repair installation

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286491-32-moving-computer

Some say reinstall the Windows is the only way or the "correct way".

Anyone have any experience with it that can share?

If reinstall is the only way, is it a good time to upgrade to 10? Heard it is not stable with SSD+HDD setup in the past.

Or just reinstall Windows 7?

Thanks!

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

I done this to. However even when i uninstalled old drivers and installed the new drivers i still had issues, a fresh Windows install would be best. I have a ssd+hdd and have no problems.

7 minutes ago, Powis21 said:

I done this to. However even when i uninstalled old drivers and installed the new drivers i still had issues, a fresh Windows install would be best. I have a ssd+hdd and have no problems.

You tried the sysprep one?

Also, you reinstall to Windows 7 or 10?

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

37 minutes ago, J12894 said:

Windows 10 and ive still had issues like my pc not being able to shut down for 5-10mins im not sure about the system prep tool a reinstall just seems best to me.

42 minutes ago, J12894 said:

However i have tried the Windows 10 reset option which basically does the same thing (at least i think) and it works but took me a good couple of hours (not sure why probably just Windows being weird). So maybe its worth a shot? Can i ask why can you not just do a fresh install?

4 minutes ago, Powis21 said:

However i have tried the Windows 10 reset option which basically does the same thing (at least i think) and it works but took me a good couple of hours (not sure why probably just Windows being weird). So maybe its worth a shot? Can i ask why can you not just do a fresh install?

Well because I don't have Windows 10 licence for one and installing Windows 7 on Z170 seems to be very difficult as some USB driver issue (this is what I have been found mostly during my preparation for new PC)

10 minutes ago, Powis21 said:

Windows 10 and ive still had issues like my pc not being able to shut down for 5-10mins im not sure about the system prep tool a reinstall just seems best to me.

That similar issue on my old notebook with Windows 10, it just seems stuck at many loading screen a lot for no reason during shut down or reload or windows update...

Fresh install will be best course of action. What kind of OEM you have? Officially none of OEM keys are transferrable from mobo to another. Unofficially you can try with activation and phone activation and see how it goes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

39 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fresh install will be best course of action. What kind of OEM you have? Officially none of OEM keys are transferrable from mobo to another. Unofficially you can try with activation and phone activation and see how it goes.

No, my Windows 7 is not an OEM version, it is from my office(Enterprise one).

I saw that all new Z170 motherboard are using new USB driver where Windows 7 install will not work normally. So I am not decide where I should try tweak the Enterprise install disc or just go with Windows 10

1 minute ago, J12894 said:

No, my Windows 7 is not an OEM version, it is from my office(Enterprise one).

I saw that all new Z170 motherboard are using new USB driver where Windows 7 install will not work normally. So I am not decide where I should try tweak the Enterprise install disc or just go with Windows 10

Oh, sorry. Misread. What is the new USB driver that should be issue? You can try and see what happens. I would atm pick Win7 over Win10. Just looking at Windows subforum and seeing all the issues people are having with 10...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Oh, sorry. Misread. What is the new USB driver that should be issue? You can try and see what happens. I would atm pick Win7 over Win10. Just looking at Windows subforum and seeing all the issues people are having with 10...

Seems new Braswell platform just change the USB driver standard which Windows 7 do not have.

There are posts from all board manufactures about how to install Windows 7 on Skylake (H110/H170/Z170/B150/Q150/Q170) and Braswell platform.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015837/

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.tw/2015/09/having-trouble-installing-windows-7-by.html

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/win7install/

https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3339