Laptop USB problem

HoneyBooBoo

Around a year ago, I dropped my laptop sideways from like 20cm and it ended up bending the USB port inside. Since then, I have been unable to use any of the other USB ports (even though they weren't directly damaged). I've dealt with it but I'm really tired of it and was wondering if there's any ideas that you guys have that would be able to fix it? I'm making this post since that I decided to find out if that I could use my USB port to charge my phone and it works (it says it's slow charge though). I have no idea how it can charge my phone but not accept things like USB's. 

Sounds like a possible short. If you have a multimeter i would check to make sure that the bent USB port isn't going something silly, like Tx/Rx being bridged (which would make sense if you're not getting data). The worst possibility is that 5V on the USB went into your controller when bent and fried the controller. If you don't feel comfortable opening the device and using a multimeter to discover shorts across those 4pins, you'll either need to find someone who can, or simply replace the device. ?

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

2 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Sounds like a possible short. If you have a multimeter i would check to make sure that the bent USB port isn't going something silly, like Tx/Rx being bridged (which would make sense if you're not getting data). The worst possibility is that 5V on the USB went into your controller when bent and fried the controller. If you don't feel comfortable opening the device and using a multimeter to discover shorts across those 4pins, you'll either need to find someone who can, or simply replace the device. ?

Do you think that if I de-solder the broken USB port so it's not connect to the bridge, would that possibly fix it?

1 minute ago, HoneyBooBoo said:

Do you think that if I de-solder the broken USB port so it's not connect to the bridge, would that possibly fix it?

If that's the issue then it would indeed fix it. Test that theory with a multimeter in continuity mode first though. 

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?