<= $100 Headphones Recommendation

AcBaracuda

Hello! I think that it's time for me to buy a real pair of headphones since my "gaming" one just died. I have seen the sticky thread with recommendations but I'm still not decided on what to buy. I listen to almost every type of music: from metal to electronic (dubstep, trap etc.), rap and even classic sometimes. One thing I don't understand with these monitoring headphones is their bass. Is it neglected and kind of not present or it's just not overpowering. I like to feel it but at the same time to not cover up the other sounds.

The ones that I've found until now are the ATH M40X because of all the good reviews, the fact that their not that big, they fold so they're more portable than other pairs and I can wear them outside if I want and not look like a weirdo. What about their sound leakage though? I don't want everyone to hear what I listen to? I've also seen the NVX XPT100 but they seem way too huge for my taste and the Beyerdynamic DT770 but they are a little over my budget so.. yea.

While I'm at it I might buy a Fiio k1 too. Seems like a good little thing to help the headphones show their potential because you can use it with your pc and most smartphones. I would be killing two birds with one stone.

What do you think I should buy? I'm open to other recommendations too.

In-ear: Shure SE215.
Over-ear closed-back: Audio Technica ATH-M40x, Sennheiser Momentum On-ear.
Over-ear open-back: Sennheiser HD 558 (my personal recommendation, but unsuitable for listening in an outside environment)

In-ear headphones are the most suited for listening on the go. They naturally isolate sound, are extremely portable, and can provide an incredible listening experience. They're also often more reasonably priced for the performance you get. They often feature the smallest 'soundstage', because the only room reverberation is inside your ear canal, making it sound like you're listening to everything in your ears. The Shure SE215s are the exception to this rule, but there's no use pretending that they sound as open as bigger, over-ear headphones. They're just on part with some closed-back ones. Furthermore, they will leak the least sound, as their speaker cones (diaphragms) are tiny. Loud enough for inside your ears, but inaudible to the next person.

Closed-back over-ear headphones are a little bulkier, but they have a slightly larger soundstage. While not truly open, they sound more like you're listening to your music in the confines of a small room, rather than right in your ears. They will also insulate you from outside noise, but not as much as in-ear headphones. They also leak a little more sound and will be somewhat audible to people sitting next to you, but so long as you listen at reasonable volumes, it still won't be enough to disturb most people. My recommendations in this category are the M40Xs you mentioed and the Sennheiser Momentum On-ear headphones.

Open-back over-ear headphones are my personal favourite for listening, but my least favourite for travelling. Open-back headphones feature an open-chasis, where the speaker is not closed around your ear with a plastic or wood cup. As a result, these produce the widest possible soundstage, making it sound like your music is in the room around you. However, they block almost no outside noise, and they leak sound like a pair of speakers. While they provide the best possible listening experience, they are not suitable to use outside of your home. These might not work for you, but if you choose to get a pair of them, my recommendation at your price point is a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 headphones.

Closed back: ATH M40x or DT770 pro 80 ohms (if u get a good deal, 2nd hand its alright as long as they are in mint condition)

Open back: Sennheiser HD558 (you can mod these to sound like HD598)

All in one solution: HyperX cloud core (this is the most inferior on the list, but have an all in one solution).

Good luck! :D

Note: i'm using DT770 pro 80ohms with Fiio K1, just absolutely fun for gaming and music imo, casual gaming of course :P

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.