Hotspot shield

Okay, so. I've had a huge problem with YouTube buffering for the longest time.

I have about a 30 megabit download speed, and yet had problems buffering videos at 1080p on YouTube, so I would always have to switch it down to 720p or 480p. I thought it was strange because I had absolutely no problems buffering Netflix. So I was beginning to suspect that my ISP has been throttling my internet whenever I used YouTube. I've tried a bunch of different tricks and nothing seemed to work. But whenever I used a proxy, YouTube loaded perfectly.

So this is where Hotspot shield came in. I installed it and bought a year membership when I was watching one of the livestreams. I decided I would get this so I could easily set up a vpn, and secure my connection at the same time. But I thought about how YouTube would work with it; frankly it works wonderfully! I'm not sure how well it works with the basic package, but I can definitely watch 1080p on YouTube without having it buffer or lowering the quality.

So this is a heads up to anyone that has a decent connection, but you feel like your ISP is throttling you in certain aspects. ALSO, it lets you access sites that would otherwise be blocked on work or school wifi.

So there you go, I would definitely recommend this to everybody. I hope someone from Hotspot Shield will see this, and see that they are actually gaining revenue from sponsoring Linus.

That's good to know, I was considering Hotspot Shield but I was worried that it would have an impact on that. Of course it can't be 'as good' as it is without Hotspot Shield, but if the impact isn't significant, that's great :)

Okay, so. I've had a huge problem with YouTube buffering for the longest time.

I have about a 30 megabit download speed, and yet had problems buffering videos at 1080p on YouTube, so I would always have to switch it down to 720p or 480p. I thought it was strange because I had absolutely no problems buffering Netflix. So I was beginning to suspect that my ISP has been throttling my internet whenever I used YouTube. I've tried a bunch of different tricks and nothing seemed to work. But whenever I used a proxy, YouTube loaded perfectly.

So this is where Hotspot shield came in. I installed it and bought a year membership when I was watching one of the livestreams. I decided I would get this so I could easily set up a vpn, and secure my connection at the same time. But I thought about how YouTube would work with it; frankly it works wonderfully! I'm not sure how well it works with the basic package, but I can definitely watch 1080p on YouTube without having it buffer or lowering the quality.

So this is a heads up to anyone that has a decent connection, but you feel like your ISP is throttling you in certain aspects. ALSO, it lets you access sites that would otherwise be blocked on work or school wifi.

So there you go, I would definitely recommend this to everybody. I hope someone from Hotspot Shield will see this, and see that they are actually gaining revenue from sponsoring Linus.

Which scumbag ISP do you have?

Error: 410

Which scumbag ISP do you have?

Brighthouse Networks. Their service is so terrible, I wanna say that my internet will go out every other day for no apparent reason, and they always tell me that there isn't anything wrong and everything seems fine. We also have ATT Uverse here, but since the apartments I live in ridiculously old, they don't have the infrastructure to support it. So I'm stuck with Brighthouse till I move. Maybe I'll move to Kansas City just for cheat gigabit internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same experience, after struggling with slow buffering on YouTube I started to search for any answers.. The easy-to-go solution with blocking IP's did not work and I didn't want to use any lightweight YouTube clients either.

So I got a Trial Hotspot Elite subscription to test it since one of the pointers I got from Google was that a proxy/VPN could help.. And indeed it did. YouTube is a dream now, I have no problem by streaming 1080p anymore, both on my PC and my mobile phone. So it took me about 2 minutes (had to test many videos..) before I decided to buy 1 year subscription with the code from Linus.

For reference to other users: I'm located in Norway (Oslo) and Telenor is my ISP.