Need Help Choosing Between Cameras.

Limbo265

I'm buying a second hand camera and have narrowed my options down to two. A Canon EOS 60D (body only) $400, or a nikon D5100 and 18-55mm 1:3-5:6G lens $400, or a Nikon D3200 body $400 All prices are AUD

What I like shooting: Sports, Street photography, Portraits (party's like 18ths/21st), Video.

• Based off of this which camera do you think is the best?
  • Do I have any room to negotiate the price down?
  • Any alternative recommendations?
  • Any tips for buying second hand, This will be my first DSLR so I don't know my way around one well.

Out those options, for video you may want to pick the 60D. If I'm not mistaken, on those Nikon models you can't adjust aperture while recording video. The Canon body will be larger and heavier (slightly) but that may be a good thing if you want a better grip to hold onto or if you have bigger hands. 

For lenses you might want to look used ones as well. For portraits you'd want a 50mm f/1.8. A kit lens (18-55mm) can do the job for video and street photography and you may want to consider the 55-250mm for sports. Just bare in mind that they have a variable maximum aperture. It's not the end of the world if you're starting off but just something to know about. 

Adobe have a Photography CC subscription package which gets you Lightroom and Photoshop, it's a good duo for developing raw files and touching up photos if needed.