Which one?

KillerWolf17

I am planning to buy a new monitor for black Friday or cyber Monday and I have picked out two I want to choose from.

the AOC has a contrast ratio of 80,000,000:1 and the Acer has 100,000,000:1

Will that affect my gaming experience? (both are 144Hz and 1ms)

AOC G2460PF:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00KO4518I

Acer GN246HL:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F83426214

Please check them out on the links to get all the info.

My GPU is an R9 380 4gb

Which one do I choose for gaming?

Thanks

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would go for the Acer GN246HL

reason/thoughts? The AOC has Display Port

Just now, KillerWolf17 said:

reason/thoughts?

100,000,000:1 contrast seems nice also acer is more reliable company wise 

37 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

100,000,000:1 contrast seems nice also acer is more reliable company wise 

Come on mate, you know these numbers doesn't mean anything... And more contrast doesn't always mean better, especially not on 8 bit panels. I find too much contrast very uncomfortable and any dynamic contrast features to crank those numbers up are nightmares for all content creators. The healthy dose of contrast on PC should be around 1000:1 imho, which is very common for IPS panels.

Anyway, professional reviews on such monitors are very rare so it'll be hard to pick when we really get down to this. But I dig out some measured numbers for the mentioned contrast. The AOC has around 1000:1 (source) while the Acer has 550:1 (source), so yeah, the Acer is actually worse in this regard. EDIT: That review actually seems fishy, I found the Acer on Prad as well (very trustworthy professional monitor reviews) and they measured 930:1 (source), so it's fairly close to the AOC.

And OP, I'm just proving the wrong methodology, there's much more about these monitors than the contrast ratio. So don't take this as the recommendation, I don't know these monitors at all.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

2 minutes ago, tohico said:

Come on mate, you know these numbers doesn't mean anything... And more contrast doesn't always mean better, especially not on 8 bit panels. I find too much contrast very uncomfortable and any dynamic contrast features to crank those numbers up are nightmares for all content creators. The healthy dose of contrast on PC should be around 1000:1 imho, which is very common for IPS panels.

Anyway, professional reviews on such monitors are very rare so it'll be hard to pick when we really get down to this. But I dig out some measured numbers for the mentioned contrast. The AOC has around 1000:1 (source) while the Acer has 550:1 (source), so yeah, the Acer is actually worse in this regard.

And OP, I'm just proving the wrong methodology, there's much more about these monitors than the contrast ratio. So don't take this as the recommendation, I don't know these monitors at all.

So should I trade Contrast ratio with display port? (Acer for AOC)

46 minutes ago, KillerWolf17 said:

So should I trade Contrast ratio with display port? (Acer for AOC)

That wasn't my point at all, I was purely pointing out to not focus on those wild advertised contrast ratios (same for advertised latency, btw). Because it's only very misleading and in fact, the real contrast is actually better on the AOC, but only slightly. Recheck my previous post please, I fixed it with more sources, the initial one seems a bit wrong.

Either way, there's much more to monitors than the contrast ration and type of connector. Once parameters are set (size, resolution, panel type, refresh rate, special features), I recommend focusing on the image itself - color accuracy (=colors, temperature and gamma), how easily it can be calibrated (at home or professionally, osd capabilities, etc).

Check out Prad.de, they have a nice review of the Acer monitor there (link). You might need to use a translator though, it's in German. And they have only a review for the Acer there, not the AOC. So you can't put them head to head from one review source, therefore it gets a little bit more tricky...

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)