Boot Camp

Hi! I'm planning to boot camp my mac. I have more than enough storage to do so but what are the risks of doing it and how do I do it? I don't have a win 10 iso and I don't know how to boot camp my mac. How do I do it and what are the risks of doing so, and what are the things I should take note of? Thanks!

Whenever you are doing anything that involves re-partitioning or re-allocating disk space, you run the risk of total data loss (unlikely but something to keep in mind)

I always recommend backing up your important data before going forward.

Now that you've backed up important data, read on.

What you will need is a windows 10 ISO, which you can download from Microsoft no problem, but you may need a PC to do so.

Once you have a usb key formatted with windows 10 (there are tons of guides on this forum on how to do that) fire up boot camp assistant on the mac (search for bootcamp in spotlight) and just follow the instructions. Apple has made it very easy to do this.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you will need to purchase a windows 10 license if you want to be able to activate windows. Without the license, you can use it but some things will not work and you will be bugged to activate it.

Any more questions, ask away friend!

When in doubt, re-format.

18 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Whenever you are doing anything that involves re-partitioning or re-allocating disk space, you run the risk of total data loss (unlikely but something to keep in mind)

I always recommend backing up your important data before going forward.

Now that you've backed up important data, read on.

What you will need is a windows 10 ISO, which you can download from Microsoft no problem, but you may need a PC to do so.

Once you have a usb key formatted with windows 10 (there are tons of guides on this forum on how to do that) fire up boot camp assistant on the mac (search for bootcamp in spotlight) and just follow the instructions. Apple has made it very easy to do this.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you will need to purchase a windows 10 license if you want to be able to activate windows. Without the license, you can use it but some things will not work and you will be bugged to activate it.

Any more questions, ask away friend!

Soo, I have to buy a win-10 iso? I heard that boot camp will download it for you...

I'll take your advice on backing my mac up. Thanks!

1 minute ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Soo, I have to buy a win-10 iso? I heard that boot camp will download it for you...

I'll take your advice on backing my mac up. Thanks!

No, you don't buy the ISO, you can freely download it and install it directly from Microsoft. You have to buy a license key for it in order to activate it. You can use it without activating it, but you will be nagged to buy it eventually and some things wont work until you do so (I think changing wallpaper is locked and a few other things like that)

When in doubt, re-format.

37 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hi! I'm planning to boot camp my mac. I have more than enough storage to do so but what are the risks of doing it and how do I do it? I don't have a win 10 iso and I don't know how to boot camp my mac. How do I do it and what are the risks of doing so, and what are the things I should take note of? Thanks!

I use Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and here is what you need:

• A disc image of Windows installation, such as an ISO image.  You can download this from Microsoft.
  • A license key to activate Windows, for obvious reasons.
  • A USB key that is 16GB or more.  Bootcamp assistant will use the Windows ISO image to create an installation USB drive.

Setting up Bootcamp is much more simpler and easier than creating partitions and dualbooting OS in Windows.  But yes, while very low, there is a very small chance that you can do something by accident that corrupts the Bootcamp partition.  But you can recover from it easily.

Here are the full instructions, which you should have looked up first before asking on this forum.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

12 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

No, you don't buy the ISO, you can freely download it and install it directly from Microsoft. You have to buy a license key for it in order to activate it. You can use it without activating it, but you will be nagged to buy it eventually and some things wont work until you do so (I think changing wallpaper is locked and a few other things like that)

ohhh, thanks!

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I use Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and here is what you need:

• A disc image of Windows installation, such as an ISO image.  You can download this from Microsoft.
  • A license key to activate Windows, for obvious reasons.
  • A USB key that is 16GB or more.  Bootcamp assistant will use the Windows ISO image to create an installation USB drive.

Setting up Bootcamp is much more simpler and easier than creating partitions and dualbooting OS in Windows.  But yes, while very low, there is a very small chance that you can do something by accident that corrupts the Bootcamp partition.  But you can recover from it easily.

Here are the full instructions, which you should have looked up first before asking on this forum.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Thanks! I'll look @ the website.