Haswell E vs Broadwell E

I'm currently building a x99/1070 rig, and all the parts have arrived, except the processor. So I'm kind of in a misery.... I've ordered a 5820K on saturday, november 6th and been waiting for it since then. It should've arrived last thursday but hasn't been sent out till earlier today. Unpatient me recogniced that the 6800k has come down in price about 40 European moneyz  (being ~10% more expensive than the 5820k) , and ordered it this monday, expecting it to arrive earlier than the other one (which amazon said it would arrive sometime next week). The plan was to keep the first arrival and send the other one back. But now it seems that both units will arrive tomorrow or on friday. So I'm really unsure about which one to keep. 

The main goal of this build was to get a high powered gaming/3d rendering/video editing PC that lasts at least a few months :D. No but seriously I've read some posts on the interwebs about what other people decided to do. The answer wasn't as easy as I'd hoped it would be. So as it seams the 5820K can be overclocked a little bit higher, while being considerably cooler. The 6800k on the other hand seems to have higher IPC, so i would, at least theoretically, get the same performance out of a lower clocked 6800k. Which would minimize the heat issue. The next thing is, that I'm not going to go crazy with the overclock, but still want to get it a bit higher than stock. For cooling I'll be using a dark rock 3 (non pro) so heat (to a certain point) won't be too much of an issue.

So this really confuses me more than i thought. On one hand I'd get the newer generation with better per-clock performance but on the other hand a (potentially)  higher clock speed and cooler operation. Is the 10% price difference be worth it? Or should i save the money and go with the older variant? 

Has anyone had a similar situation, or some real world experience with those two CPUs?

The other components in the system:

• Asus X99A
  • GTX 1070
  • RM650x
  • 500GB 850 evo
  • Dark Rock 3

There's one problem with the whole idea of the 5820K being a better overclocker than the 6800K: there tends to be a serious difference in oveclockability even between CPUs of the same type. 

You may receive an absolute dog of a 5820K and a silicon lottery winner 6800K, in which case the 6800K is the better choice.  Or a very good 5820K and a truly horrid 6800K, in which case the 5820K will be the one to go for.  Or you could receive two bad ones or two lottery winners.  So don't pay too much attention to which one is generally considered to be "the best".

There's just no way of knowing which of the two is the better CPU without trying them both on your own PC and seeing how far those particular CPUs will go.  Otherwise you may end up sending back the one that was actually better than the one you kept.

To be fair, it's not gonna really matter. Both will perform basically the same. Stick with the 6800K simply cause it's newer and Broadwell is a newer architecture

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

25 minutes ago, mstoebich said:

I'm currently building a x99/1070 rig, and all the parts have arrived, except the processor. So I'm kind of in a misery.... I've ordered a 5820K on saturday, november 6th and been waiting for it since then. It should've arrived last thursday but hasn't been sent out till earlier today. Unpatient me recogniced that the 6800k has come down in price about 40 European moneyz  (being ~10% more expensive than the 5820k) , and ordered it this monday, expecting it to arrive earlier than the other one (which amazon said it would arrive sometime next week). The plan was to keep the first arrival and send the other one back. But now it seems that both units will arrive tomorrow or on friday. So I'm really unsure about which one to keep. 

The main goal of this build was to get a high powered gaming/3d rendering/video editing PC that lasts at least a few months :D. No but seriously I've read some posts on the interwebs about what other people decided to do. The answer wasn't as easy as I'd hoped it would be. So as it seams the 5820K can be overclocked a little bit higher, while being considerably cooler. The 6800k on the other hand seems to have higher IPC, so i would, at least theoretically, get the same performance out of a lower clocked 6800k. Which would minimize the heat issue. The next thing is, that I'm not going to go crazy with the overclock, but still want to get it a bit higher than stock. For cooling I'll be using a dark rock 3 (non pro) so heat (to a certain point) won't be too much of an issue.

So this really confuses me more than i thought. On one hand I'd get the newer generation with better per-clock performance but on the other hand a (potentially)  higher clock speed and cooler operation. Is the 10% price difference be worth it? Or should i save the money and go with the older variant? 

Has anyone had a similar situation, or some real world experience with those two CPUs?

The other components in the system:

• Asus X99A
  • GTX 1070
  • RM650x
  • 500GB 850 evo
  • Dark Rock 3

i am going to say the 5820k overclocking better is more likely and its cheaper so even if its not as fast you saved some money

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 hour ago, mstoebich said:

The next thing is, that I'm not going to go crazy with the overclock, but still want to get it a bit higher than stock. For cooling I'll be using a dark rock 3 (non pro) so heat (to a certain point) won't be too much of an issue.

Out of everything you wrote, this is all you really need to determine which to get.  

If you are only doing a light to mild overclock, go 6800k all the way.  

If you are going to push things to the limits, go 5820k as it can usually nudge out a 6800k when both are pushed hard.

I've had a 5820k, 5930k, 6800k, 6950x, and my 5960x that I'm using now.  I personally prefer Haswell-E to Broadwell-E since I overclock pretty aggressively.  

Due to the IPC improvements of BWE, a HWE chip will generally have to run around 200 MHz faster at any given BWE frequency to match performance.