Synology Diskstation

Bugses

Hi all,

I got a Synology DS212j, so a model with a few years on it. I'm about to grow out of it though, as I'm gonna need some more space. I currently got 2 TB in it, and I know I can expand it to 8 TB by getting new drives, but should I? Or should I get a newer version while I'm at it?

I use it for backup of movies and photos.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

4 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Hi all,

I got a Synology DS212j, so a model with a few years on it. I'm about to grow out of it though, as I'm gonna need some more space. I currently got 2 TB in it, and I know I can expand it to 8 TB by getting new drives, but should I? Or should I get a newer version while I'm at it?

I use it for backup of movies and photos.

no point upgrading it unless its dead. if you are running out of space replace the drives

27 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

no point upgrading it unless its dead. if you are running out of space replace the drives

You don't think I'll benefit from more ram or a better cpu? 

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Just now, Bugses said:

You don't think I'll benefit from more ram or a better cpu? 

not really of you are just using it for mass storage. for your use case replacing the drives is just fine

3 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

not really of you are just using it for mass storage. for your use case replacing the drives is just fine

Okay. I stream the movies to my HTPC, but that takes care of the most of it really. 

1 minute ago, Bugses said:

Okay. I stream the movies to my HTPC, but that takes care of the most of it really. 

yeah but its still not heavy use for a nas. im sure youll be just fine. if you really want to u can upgrade your nas but there isnt a need to

39 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

yeah but its still not heavy use for a nas. im sure youll be just fine. if you really want to u can upgrade your nas but there isnt a need to

I see. Thanks for the help :-)