New Card / should I?

EJOE
10 hours ago, EJOE said:

I found this Intel Core I7 4790K Devil's Canyon 4 GHz Seems to me to be a good upgrade just because of the difference in GHz

I found this Intel Core I7 4790K Devil's Canyon 4 GHz

That's a very good choice :) 

The i7 is the best CPU you can get for your mobo. the 1060 vs 1070 depends. If you are dead set on VR either should be fine with the 1070 allowing you to get more pixel density on the visor ad more goodies. But both will work. If you play simulators like il2 or Assetto corsa, the Vive will pull it's weight. At this moment, it's the only games I can think of that would make me pull the trigger on VR.

For a gpu, you can always try to look for clearance 980 ti, 980 or a 290/390x or a fury. they give you roughly the same performance as the 1070 or the 1060 and can be had for cheaper. They tend to performed worse in VR due to missing features that the 10 series has. oh, if you are interested in team red, the xfx 480 is a beast and will give you all you need at 1080p. It is about the same performance as the 1060 and depending where you are, you can get it cheaper or more expensive.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

6 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

The i7 is the best CPU you can get for your mobo. the 1060 vs 1070 depends. If you are dead set on VR either should be fine with the 1070 allowing you to get more pixel density on the visor ad more goodies. But both will work. If you play simulators like il2 or Assetto corsa, the Vive will pull it's weight. At this moment, it's the only games I can think of that would make me pull the trigger on VR.

For a gpu, you can always try to look for clearance 980 ti, 980 or a 290/390x or a fury. they give you roughly the same performance as the 1070 or the 1060 and can be had for cheaper. They tend to performed worse in VR due to missing features that the 10 series has. oh, if you are interested in team red, the xfx 480 is a beast and will give you all you need at 1080p. It is about the same performance as the 1060 and depending where you are, you can get it cheaper or more expensive.

Okay I think I'll get the 1060 with the i7. But what do I need to scrape off the old thermal paste from the i5? It's some kind of acid right?

21 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Also what do you think about this remover?

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA9PV4M38036

I use isopropyl alcohol. But literally use whatever suits you. yup can eBay your i5 and try and get some money back.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

3 hours ago, EJOE said:

Okay I think I'll get the 1060 with the i7. But what do I need to scrape off the old thermal paste from the i5? It's some kind of acid right?

Alcohol, isopropyl alcohol. Acid would damage the cpu if it's strong enough 

3 hours ago, JJS76 said:

Alcohol, isopropyl alcohol. Acid would damage the cpu if it's strong enough 

Dam really? Then what should I use the link from Newegg?

1 hour ago, EJOE said:

Dam really? Then what should I use the link from Newegg?

You should be fine, the cleaner is made of soy and citrus, will be slightly acid, but you will definitely be fine. When I saw acid I thought you meant something stronger than citrus acid. Sorry to freak you out 

10 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

You should be fine, the cleaner is made of soy and citrus, will be slightly acid, but you will definitely be fine. When I saw acid I thought you meant something stronger than citrus acid. Sorry to freak you out 

baha all good, also to take a heatsink (stock) off a cpu just wiggle and then clean with the isopropyl acid and take out the cpu correct?

On 11/13/2016 at 3:51 AM, EJOE said:

Hello, I was thinking about getting myself a new graphics card for Christmas around the 200-500 dollar range. I watched Linus's video about it. But should I spend all this money on a graphics card? I already have an Asus gtx 960 strix

What CPU you have?

6 hours ago, Spencer1559 said:
6 hours ago, Spencer1559 said:

What CPU you have?

What CPU you have?

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor