Expansion cards not going all the way in

jrod21

Hi everyone, im having issues with my first pc build after spending so many hours and money to put it all together.

The problem is that any of my expasion cards aren't going all the way in when im trying to install them. I am using a fractal design define xl r2 for my case, an asus rampage v extreme U/3.1 mobo, and 2 evga geforce gtx 1070 SC edition graphics cards.

I don't know if it is either the case or the mobo but as much force as i apply installing these cards they wont go in from card's bracket side as if something would be stopping them from going in. i have checked several times and everything seems fine, i dont know what else to do, i have searched for the same topic on other forums but solutions found there haven't applied to my case.

would really appreciate any help you guys could provide, thanks.

Did you remove the expansion slot/covers from the back of the case?
Another silly one, did you remove the protective plastic cover(if it has one) off the bottom of the card, the part that plugs into the pci slot?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yes, expansion slot covers and protective plastic covers from the card were removed. it looks lilke the mobo is sitting too low or something like that but i checked everyting to be fine as long as i know. 

I'll include some pictures tonight since i'm at work right now

Did you put all of the motherboard stand-offs in? Only thing i can think of if it appears to be sitting too low.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yes, nine of them were installed.

http://imgur.com/APdb1uX

My cards are looking like this picture but all the way aroud, the exposed pins on my card are on the left side instead of being on the right side like something stopping them from going all the way through on the bracket.

I've had issues with some cards in some cases with some motherboards that the card doesn't physically line up with the PCIe slot very well. In one particular case the mobo seemed to have to be moved back a mm or so. So I bent the little tab on the bottom of the metal plate (where the ports are (HDMI, DVI, etc.) then unscrewed the screws on the mobo. Then I inserted the card, then re-tightened the screws holding the mobo down. It still fit a bit too tight for my liking, but I had done everything right, and everything is inserted into the case correctly, so I had to leave it be. I figured those PCIe slots are held down with a crap ton of solder joints, so I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. 

23 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I've had issues with some cards in some cases with some motherboards that the card doesn't physically line up with the PCIe slot very well. In one particular case the mobo seemed to have to be moved back a mm or so. So I bent the little tab on the bottom of the metal plate (where the ports are (HDMI, DVI, etc.) then unscrewed the screws on the mobo. Then I inserted the card, then re-tightened the screws holding the mobo down. It still fit a bit too tight for my liking, but I had done everything right, and everything is inserted into the case correctly, so I had to leave it be. I figured those PCIe slots are held down with a crap ton of solder joints, so I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. 

I'll try that once i get back home. Thanks for the reply!

And you are sure that the case is 100% bend free? I have had almost the same issue, asked almost the same question here on the forums and posted almost the same pictures, only difference being, that my cards werent alligned right with the end of the PCIE slot, rather then not going in all the way.

So that maybe the back of the case, where you mounted the motherboard on is slightly bent to the back, so the expansion slots dont match with the GPU brackets?

I hope you understand what Im trying to say, sorry if not. :) 

Hope you solve the issue, I know how frustrating it is to sit in front of the almost finished PC and something like this screws up your plans... 

Nothing special goin' on here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBA6Vo_srk

1 hour ago, zocki5 said:

And you are sure that the case is 100% bend free? I have had almost the same issue, asked almost the same question here on the forums and posted almost the same pictures, only difference being, that my cards werent alligned right with the end of the PCIE slot, rather then not going in all the way.

So that maybe the back of the case, where you mounted the motherboard on is slightly bent to the back, so the expansion slots dont match with the GPU brackets?

Hope you solve the issue, I know how frustrating it is to sit in front of the almost finished PC and something like this screws up your plans... 

I get you, from what i've seen my case looks well, any ways i'll take your words in consideration and will inspect the case thoroughly for any bend. Really appreciate your help, i'll be taking pics when i'm back home so you are able see what i probably cannot.

Well, thats weird, as most of todays PC hardware is standardized and every card should fit into any case. You can try and measure both the slot's and the bracket's width as accurately as possible, then compare the results. Should one be too small or too large, or even the same, it is obviously not going to work.

And if you still have those protective plastic covers for the PCIE pins on the card, I suggest putting them on there and just try to see, if the brackets fit into the slots on the case without the motherboard installed.

If they fit, then there might be something wrong with the positioning of the motherboard.

Let us know when you've made progress! ;) 

On 11/11/2016 at 0:11 PM, zocki5 said:

Well, thats weird, as most of todays PC hardware is standardized and every card should fit into any case. You can try and measure both the slot's and the bracket's width as accurately as possible, then compare the results. Should one be too small or too large, or even the same, it is obviously not going to work.

And if you still have those protective plastic covers for the PCIE pins on the card, I suggest putting them on there and just try to see, if the brackets fit into the slots on the case without the motherboard installed.

If they fit, then there might be something wrong with the positioning of the motherboard.

Let us know when you've made progress! ;) 

Yes I'm aware of that, that's my major concern as parts are standarize these days. I had to remove those little holders above the expansion slot holes but I haven't test that yet. Take a look https://imgur.com/S6km9uV

And yesterday I got to test my hardware. At first i was really scared since my board was turning off and on again and again but after a while I shut it off and after a couple of mins turn it back on and it did post. I was using an old amd heat sink with thermal paste applied temp were ok so I guess wasn't the cooling's fault. 

5 minutes ago, jrod21 said:

Yes I'm aware of that, that's my major concern as parts are standarize these days. I had to remove those little holders above the expansion slot holes but I haven't test that yet. Take a look https://imgur.com/S6km9uV

And yesterday I got to test my hardware. At first i was really scared since my board was turning off and on again and again but after a while I shut it off and after a couple of mins turn it back on and it did post. I was using an old amd heat sink with thermal paste applied temp were ok so I guess wasn't the cooling's fault. 

http://i.imgur.com/Dqc4GEC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dmmXbxD.jpg

On 10/11/2016 at 1:16 PM, zocki5 said:

Hi pal, i think you were right about the case, i noticed it's a bit bent and that's why the mobo is sitting lower than it should.

Hey, 

sorry that I didn't respond for so long, but school is one heck of a busy place for me right now, 

though I'm happy to hear that I could help fix the problem in the end. ;) 

So, I guess you have returned the case by now?

Lets hope the new one is bend free and that everything goes smoothly from now on! :D 

zocki5

On 23/11/2016 at 2:17 PM, zocki5 said:

Hey, 

sorry that I didn't respond for so long, but school is one heck of a busy place for me right now, 

though I'm happy to hear that I could help fix the problem in the end. ;) 

So, I guess you have returned the case by now?

Lets hope the new one is bend free and that everything goes smoothly from now on! :D 

zocki5

Hi, no worries I understand ;), I didn't returned the case since I bought it a few years ago, instead I talked to a friend who works with metal and removed some rivets that support the mobo tray and push it forward to insert new ones, then drilled a hole to support some more pressure using a bigger screw, not the most appealing thing but at least it worked out. 

Take a look

https://imgur.com/a/3zdd7

Damn, this has turned out nicely, I gotta say. ;) 

Pretty handy to have that buddy with the right knowledge, otherwise it would have gotten expensive pretty quickly. 

And those dual 1070's, so sexy looking... :D  

Glad that you were able to solve the issue and can now have fun with it!

Best of luck (hopefully there will be no more trouble with the watercooling setup :P)!

zocki5

On 26/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, zocki5 said:

Damn, this has turned out nicely, I gotta say. ;) 

Pretty handy to have that buddy with the right knowledge, otherwise it would have gotten expensive pretty quickly. 

And those dual 1070's, so sexy looking... :D  

Glad that you were able to solve the issue and can now have fun with it!

Best of luck (hopefully there will be no more trouble with the watercooling setup :P)!

zocki5

Thank you zocki, the build is already finished and everything has turned out nicely. Had a little mishap with the power supply, where installed a molex power connector in periferal port #1, don't know why but the power supply was turning off and displaying a red light, after connecting a sata power in the connector and moving the molex one to another connector, everything was just fine. what's left already is just installing windows and getting another fan for the top rad(used that for the bottom rad ).

Take a look to the final build http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/tBS1LlyyHy

• 4 weeks later...
On 29.11.2016 at 5:22 PM, jrod21 said:

Thank you zocki, the build is already finished and everything has turned out nicely. Had a little mishap with the power supply, where installed a molex power connector in periferal port #1, don't know why but the power supply was turning off and displaying a red light, after connecting a sata power in the connector and moving the molex one to another connector, everything was just fine. what's left already is just installing windows and getting another fan for the top rad(used that for the bottom rad ).

Take a look to the final build http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/tBS1LlyyHy

Again, long time no answer from me, Im sorry. 

But as to your PC: Looks great, Im jealous of that watercooling :D

Hope it will serve well without any more issues! 

Se ya around! ;)