Leave C#/SOA developer job to go work in Node.JS

SMR

Hi everyone,

I received an offer to go work in another business this week. It is a small (10) employee business that does Ski resorts managing software (rental, school, shop and some IOT) and they work mostly with Node.JS . It would be a really cool job, developping at home, travel to some of the best ski resorts to do software integration, powder days are off to ski.

I am now working in a industrial automation place that does SCADA-type software in C#. But we only just started developing the right way in SOA, so the past softwares we made are starting to blow up in our faces. With the managers always on our backs, the poor management of the business as a whole and the constant reverse engineering we need to do, this job is starting to be a real PITA, with almost no recognition, and a very low salary if we check the market price where i'm living.

The new job offer a salary almost 40% higher than the old one, it's a HUGE difference.

So my question is, would it be career-wise to leave a SOA/C# developing job for a Node.JS/Software engineering one ? Which one has the most potential in the future and which one is worth learning the most ?

Have a nice day all !

Everything is going javascript mad just now. I wouldn't be a bad move. more pay and a job that you seem enthusiastic about. Sounds like the place you work is a nightmare. I would leave.

Remember it is ok to walk the plank on a sinking ship.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

GO GET IT NOW.

No, seriously, it's a great opportunity. JS is modern and widely used, no worries of becoming "obsolete" any time soon.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, SMR said:

So my question is, would it be career-wise to leave a SOA/C# developing job for a Node.JS/Software engineering one?

Ultimately you can't know how each company will progress into the future. You also don't know what it will be like to work at this new company. It could be better or it could be worse. There's always risk and uncertainty with any new job.

With the information you put forth, it seems like the new job is better in every way. So I definitely think you should go with it.

It's not like you couldn't get back with a C# company later, and your improved knowledge of JavaScript and web development will probably help if the company does any ASP.NET development.

23 minutes ago, SMR said:

Which one has the most potential in the future and which one is worth learning the most ?

Both C# and JavaScript/Node aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Both are widely used.

Wow this is one-sided ! Which is good, makes it easier that way, the business owner is supposed to call me tonight, this would be a second interview and the first one went smoothly. 

I'll wait for more input but this helps me a lot.

Thank guys! Keep you updated.

28 minutes ago, SMR said:

Wow this is one-sided ! Which is good, makes it easier that way, the business owner is supposed to call me tonight, this would be a second interview and the first one went smoothly. 

I'll wait for more input but this helps me a lot.

Thank guys! Keep you updated.

from the tone of your op it is easy to see you dislike your job and really want that one. So why wouldn't it be one sided?

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

from the tone of your op it is easy to see you dislike your job and really want that one. So why wouldn't it be one sided?

Yeah yeah i know it's kind of obvious but I was talking more about the opinions people have on Node.JS :)

1 hour ago, SMR said:

Yeah yeah i know it's kind of obvious but I was talking more about the opinions people have on Node.JS :)

I have never used node though I a number of jobs around my neck of the woods looking for people with experience of it and saas.