74627-0-1459502036.jpg

On

cyberpower_ultra_triton_se.jpg

I'm more looking to do this:

Spoiler

download (1).jpg

On

265366-apple-macbook-core-2-duo-2-4ghz.j

Yes, I want to install something other than OSX on my ddr2 core duo macbook.

But it apparently is 32 bit only, and also UEFI only.

I plan to sell the unit on craigslist, and I'd like to have a usable OS installed.

Any ideas? I've had no luck getting anything other than snow leapord to work.

Also, why did I call this topic "Hackentosh? Because

1. Sweet sweet modbait

2. It seems like I'm gonna need to hack something to get a different OS installed

its never been fun to put linux on mac. I wouldnt expect suspend or wireless to work out of the box. i think youd be better off just selling it with a mac OS. let the new owner piss around with software

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's possible to put a Linux distribution on a Mac. 

I am using Kubuntu 16.10 on my MacBook Pro Retina (2015), and it works really well (I have the rEFInd bootloader). Here's a guide (I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but give it a go):

1. If you want 32-bit EFI, on a Windows computer, open rufus and change the partition scheme to "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer", and the file system to FAT32. Leave the other settings default. After Rufus finished installing the Linux ISO on the USB, drop this: https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta/blob/master/boot/bootia32.efi file into the EFI/Boot directory on the USB. Make a second partition using Disk Utility on your Mac (remember to have it format it to FAT or FAT32).
  2. Disable SIP (if you have El Capitan or Sierra) - (go into recovery mode by restarting your computer and holding Command + R, open Terminal and type csrutil disable , then restart your computer.
  3. Install Kubuntu with a USB (no boot camp, just remember to click 64-bit when u download the ISO.) To boot from an EFI-capable USB, you have to hold the option key after you press the power button.
  4. Install Kubuntu normally. Once you get to the partitioning stage, click "Something else" to partition the disk manually. At the partitioning screen, select the partition you have created in step 1 to be mounted at / with ext4. Also, there is a drop-down at the bottom of the installer. Make sure it is set to /something/sda1
  5. Finish installing Linux.
  6. Reboot your computer, holding option, and selecting Macintosh HD.
  7. Mount the hidden EFI partition, and delete the folder named "ubuntu" (it should be in the root directory of EFI, if it is not, go to EFI/boot, find "ubuntu", and delete it. We will use rEFInd and we are doing this to avoid duplicated boot options.
  8. Install rEFInd (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/).
  9. Reboot your computer. rEFInd should pop up by itself once you press the power button. Use the arrow keys to select "Linux", "Kubuntu", or "Ubuntu", then hit enter. Kubuntu should boot. If it does, success! You can now use full Linux on your mac, but I chose to tweak it a bit.
  10. I changed the scaling of the display to 2x since it is 2560 x 1200. I also set the "Laptop lid closed" action to "Turn screen off". Wifi and Bluetooth should work out-of-the-box, the same as multitouch on the trackpad. I had to adjust the scrolling (it was REALLY fast), but besides that everything was fine.
  11. (Optional) You can theme rEFInd to make it look nicer. Here is a list of some good themes: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/themes.html.

NOTE: This is only the instructions I followed to install Linux on my computer. I believe the 32-bit EFI bootloader will allow booting on your computer, but I take no responsibility for any damage caused to it.