Figuring out Citrix for Virtual Desktops

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to set up Citrix. From what I've read I need a beefy server to host the VMs, files, etc., and a thin/zero client (such as these: PowerSpec ).

I install Xenserver into the server and create VM instances from there but how do I access them from the thin client. It all seems a little confusing to me and the Citrix documentation is kind of ambiguous. The goal is to have around 10 clients while having all files and folders centralized in the server, also having the possibility of expansion.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Edit: also what about licencing Windows and Office software for this? Using a licence server? and what kind of licencing?

Thanks.

What type of Citrix are we talking about is it the original thin client variety or the VDI version as the requirements for both are completely different.

If you are thinking about using it then it would help to understand this.

Ok I just read what you are wanting do use for a client and it makes more sense that you are wanting to use what I would call proper thin client. I would ask however as Citrix sits on top of Microsoft remote desktop for ten users I would not see that much of a benifit adding Citrix into the mix unless you require a specific feature.

With regards to licensing with just Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) you need a license server (which could sit on a server tasked for other things) but when you add Citrix on top that requires its own license server as well.

Also reading that you were wanting to use Xenserver as the hypervisor you are in effect talking about putting a virtualisation product on top of a virtualised infrastructure and while with ten users you are unlikely to have issues when you start adding more you would have to be careful with your storage IO as I have seen more than a few of these go horribly wrong if the correct workload planning is not done.

You don't actually need to do a full VDI setup (VMs etc), you can use thin clients that run Windows embedded, 7 or 10, and use application publishing. For centralizing of files use group policy with folder redirection and roaming profiles, RDS profiles for when connecting to RDS. Doing remote application publishing will require a tenth or even less of the server resources compared to running 10 full desktop VMs.

Remote applications can also be used on standard desktops and across the internet, on mobile devices/tablets with the correct software (free).

You won't need Citrix for any of this, Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is more than enough.

Don't do VDI to save cost as it doesn't, and comes with a wide range of technical issues that have to be dealt with and these change depending on size of deployment and as you grow.

Edit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

You don't actually need to do a full VDI setup (VMs etc), you can use thin clients that run Windows embedded, 7 or 10, and use application publishing. For centralizing of files use group policy with folder redirection and roaming profiles, RDS profiles for when connecting to RDS. Doing remote application publishing will require a tenth or even less of the server resources compared to running 10 full desktop VMs.

Remote applications can also be used on standard desktops and across the internet, on mobile devices/tablets with the correct software (free).

You won't need Citrix for any of this, Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is more than enough.

Don't do VDI to save cost as it doesn't, and comes with a wide range of technical issues that have to be dealt with and these change depending on size of deployment and as you grow.

Edit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

Thanks this was really helpful. So basically the thin clients will run Windows 10 embedded and then all the apps will be running on a Windows Server correct? The same server would be able to host the Active Directory.

2 hours ago, brozium said:

Thanks this was really helpful. So basically the thin clients will run Windows 10 embedded and then all the apps will be running on a Windows Server correct? The same server would be able to host the Active Directory.

The same physical server could yes but I would not use the same OS, install ESXi and create a dedicated VM for Active Directory and another for Remote Desktop Services.