First time overclock i5-4690k

Hello, I am new to this forum and I am also new to overclocking.

After a lot of research I decided to finally overclock my CPU which is an i5-4690k (motherboard is MSI Z97 Gaming 5).

I wanted to keep it safe and thus I went for 4.2Ghz and 1.128 voltage:

BIOS looks like this:

http://prnt.sc/d3qbf7
http://prnt.sc/d3qbhf

My idle temperatures are around 30-33C and with Prime95 under load ~60-65

I went straight to 1.128 voltage, no inbetween. Am I safe, I ran Prime95 for about 1.5 hours without errors or conflicts.

Your voltage is well within check.

Which cooler are you using?

If the cooler is decent, you can go up to 1.35v no problem.

But if you really want to ensure that you overclock is stable, you need to do much more than just running prime.

I tested mine with 24 hours AIDA, playing my favourite games for a couple of hours and rendering some videos.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

32 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Your voltage is well within check.

Which cooler are you using?

If the cooler is decent, you can go up to 1.35v no problem.

But if you really want to ensure that you overclock is stable, you need to do much more than just running prime.

I tested mine with 24 hours AIDA, playing my favourite games for a couple of hours and rendering some videos.

I'm using Cooler master hyper 212 evo, Yes I'm planning on stress testing in the night, everythings running fine atm but I set it to fixed mode so it will run at constant 4.2,

how is this possible with fixed mode?: http://prntscr.com/d3qybw

2 minutes ago, aquilaray said:

I'm using Cooler master hyper 212 evo, Yes I'm planning on stress testing in the night, everythings running fine atm but I set it to fixed mode so it will run at constant 4.2,

It is normal for it to fluxuate a litte bit.

These drops are only for a couple of seconds, you won´t notice anything.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

2 hours ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

It is normal for it to fluxuate a litte bit.

These drops are only for a couple of seconds, you won´t notice anything.

Can I lower the voltage a bit or is it good to have it here if it runs stable?

Just now, aquilaray said:

Can I lower the voltage a bit or is it good to have it here if it runs stable?

you can lower until it become  unestable wen you see   your limit   you  can put   the stable  voltage,  with lower voltage  will run more cool

4 hours ago, aquilaray said:

I'd say you can up the voltage quite a bit, 1.3v is a good target.

I don't know how overclocked 4690Ks and a hyper 212 evo work together, but anywhere from 1.25v and 1.3v should be fine.

Just see how it goes, and make sure your temps don't exceed 80C under load.

As said above, lower voltage will result in lower temps and lower power consumption, but we (or at least I) want ALL THE POWER :D

1 hour ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

I'd say you can up the voltage quite a bit, 1.3v is a good target.

I don't know how overclocked 4690Ks and a hyper 212 evo work together, but anywhere from 1.25v and 1.3v should be fine.

Just see how it goes, and make sure your temps don't exceed 80C under load.

As said above, lower voltage will result in lower temps and lower power consumption, but we (or at least I) want ALL THE POWER :D

I just reset my core clock to 3.5Ghz and stress tested it to see the temperatures of it without OC, with Prime95 running for an hour the max temp it reached was 59C. Is this any good?

I just reset my core clock to 3.5Ghz and stress tested it to see the temperatures of it without OC, with Prime95 running for an hour the max temp it reached was 59C. Is this any good?

Anything below 80C is good. You only have to worry about temps, if they are above 80C.

1 minute ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Anything below 80C is good. You only have to worry about temps, if they are above 80C.

Thanks for your quick response, so if I overclock my CPU to a good stable clock and voltage and keep it below 80C under 100% load I did a good job?

EDIT: Oh and does Idle temperature matter? what idle temp should I aim for once overclocked? 

Thanks for your quick response, so if I overclock my CPU to a good stable clock and voltage and keep it below 80C under 100% load I did a good job?

Pretty much, yes.

Just stress-test it with all sorts of different tests, like mentioned above.

12 hours ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Pretty much, yes.

Just stress-test it with all sorts of different tests, like mentioned above.

I ran Aida for about 8 hours: http://prntscr.com/d42gz9 and this were the temps http://prnt.sc/d426xi (is it really no problem that it has fallen back to 4323 MHz once)?
I also ran Prime95 26.6 for 50 minutes small FFT and this were the temps of that http://prnt.sc/d42h4b
Could I consider my overclock 4.4Ghz 1.190v stable?

8 hours ago, aquilaray said:

I ran Aida for about 8 hours: http://prntscr.com/d42gz9 and this were the temps http://prnt.sc/d426xi (is it really no problem that it has fallen back to 4323 MHz once)?
I also ran Prime95 26.6 for 50 minutes small FFT and this were the temps of that http://prnt.sc/d42h4b
Could I consider my overclock 4.4Ghz 1.190v stable?

It seems to be stable yes.

4.4Ghz @ 1.190v isn't that aggresive of an overclock to be honest.

7 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

It seems to be stable yes.

4.4Ghz @ 1.190v isn't that aggresive of an overclock to be honest.

what could I expect if I push it to the limit?

1 minute ago, aquilaray said:

what could I expect if I push it to the limit?

Depends on if you won the silicon lottery.

But I think anywhere from 4.6 to 4.8 should be doable.

Don't get me wrong:

Your overclock doesn't need to be especially high or aggresive. If you are happy with the clock and temps you got now, there is no need to push it further.

I am just saying, that it can be done.

Just now, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Depends on if you won the silicon lottery.

But I think anywhere from 4.6 to 4.8 should be doable.

Don't get me wrong:

Your overclock doesn't need to be especially high or aggresive. If you are happy with the clock and temps you got now, there is no need to push it further.

I am just saying, that it can be done.

Well im playing csgo atm and it reached about 66C and it's constanly running around 59-61C Is this good temperature for a game such as csgo?

1 minute ago, aquilaray said:

Well im playing csgo atm and it reached about 66C and it's constanly running around 59-61C Is this good temperature for a game such as csgo?

I don't know how hard your CPU is getting stresses while playing CS:GO, but considering that your prime test maxed at 72C, it seems a bit hot.

But it doesn't really matter, to be honest, 66C is totally fine.

2 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

I don't know how hard your CPU is getting stresses while playing CS:GO, but considering that your prime test maxed at 72C, it seems a bit hot.

But it doesn't really matter, to be honest, 66C is totally fine.

Things to do to lower the temperature? 

Another question:

Will the CPU be hotter if u run it at 4.4Ghz on 1.2v or 4.5Ghz on 1.2v? or the same?

Things to do to lower the temperature? 

Another question:

Will the CPU be hotter if u run it at 4.4Ghz on 1.2v or 4.5Ghz on 1.2v? or the same?

Things to lower the temperature:

Increase fan speed

Apply better thermal paste (I don't know which one you are using right now) - this will only make 1-2C difference

Add more fans to your system (again, I don't know how many and which fans you have now)

I am sure there are many other ways, but I can't think about anything else from the top of my head.

---

You CPU will run a LITTLE bit hotter, but clock speed doesn't affect temperature nearly as much as voltage does

6 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Things to lower the temperature:

Increase fan speed

Apply better thermal paste (I don't know which one you are using right now) - this will only make 1-2C difference

Add more fans to your system (again, I don't know how many and which fans you have now)

I am sure there are many other ways, but I can't think about anything else from the top of my head.

---

You CPU will run a LITTLE bit hotter, but clock speed doesn't affect temperature nearly as much as voltage does

I got 2 exhaust NZXT FN v2 fans, no intake, planning on buying on intake, will it make much of a difference?

2 minutes ago, aquilaray said:

I got 2 exhaust NZXT FN v2 fans, no intake, planning on buying on intake, will it make much of a difference?

I think it will be noticable.

Set one fan as intake at the front of the case, and one as exhaust at the back.

3 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

I think it will be noticable.

Set one fan as intake at the front of the case, and one as exhaust at the back.

Thanks for all the help man, I will try to lower my voltage first and see if it is stable and after that mount an intake fan :)