290x Watercooled Performance?

MainStageNews

Nearly every review I have seen on this card says there is little to no headroom for overclocking on this card mainly because of its heat and terrible cooler. But are there any performance results of the card with a waterblock on it?

I haven't found any, we're going to have to wait for consumers to get their cards and blocks before we start seeing stuff like that, I don't think reviewers could get blocks any sooner than we could. I'd say we'll start seeing those kind of tests popping up early next week.

I would look for Tiny Tom Logan to review the card with the block when he gets one (he said today in his follow up to the 290x review from yesterday that he would).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I saw that i was just hoping there would be maybe someone else that had tried it already. Has therer been any "official" word on 780 price drop yet?

I saw that i was just hoping there would be maybe someone else that had tried it already. Has therer been any "official" word on 780 price drop yet?

None yet, if it happens I would expect it to be announced around when the 780 ti comes out in the next 4-6 weeks. At this point given the slightly underwhelming numbers for the 290x (good but not stunning) I expect Nvidia is examining their options.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

no one can do it cuz as far as I know the EK blocks aren't shipping til tomorrow.

I ordered one but It still hasn't been shipped and Im pretty sure I read somewhere it was starting on the 25th to start shipments..

im going to go and say now I expect the headroom to open up quite a bit (of course it will depend on how good your individual chip is)...if its able to be held at 50-60 under water, then it will be all about who has the best chips as the thermal barrier won't be the issue anymore.

so unless someone just throws on some type of universal block, were going to have to wait...

I'll let you know if I end up expanding my loop right away....but I think I will wait a bit...I wan't to use the card a bit before I take apart my rig to do it all.

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

no one can do it cuz as far as I know the EK blocks aren't shipping til tomorrow.

I ordered one but It still hasn't been shipped and Im pretty sure I read somewhere it was starting on the 25th to start shipments..

im going to go and say now I expect the headroom to open up quite a bit (of course it will depend on how good your individual chip is)...if its able to be held at 50-60 under water, then it will be all about who has the best chips as the thermal barrier won't be the issue anymore.

so unless someone just throws on some type of universal block, were going to have to wait...

I'll let you know if I end up expanding my loop right away....but I think I will wait a bit...I wan't to use the card a bit before I take apart my rig to do it all.

The only thing I worry about is if AMD has already cranked up the voltages to the limit and if the card becomes unstable at higher clocks. I am very interested to see what kind of performance gain we see when the card is underwater, I just worry that because of how hot it is already there may not be much more room to overclock the card. Also I really want to see a water cooled 290x benched against a water cooled 780 and 780 ti. Hopefully Tiny Tom Logan or some other reputable reviewer will bench them.

The only thing I worry about is if AMD has already cranked up the voltages to the limit and if the card becomes unstable at higher clocks. I am very interested to see what kind of performance gain we see when the card is underwater, I just worry that because of how hot it is already there may not be much more room to overclock the card. Also I really want to see a water cooled 290x benched against a water cooled 780 and 780 ti. Hopefully Tiny Tom Logan or some other reputable reviewer will bench them.

im hoping me not getting the Asus 290x won't hurt me in that respect. Hopefully all the ref cards can have the voltage increased.

but the asus is still not available yet so I had to go with a sapphire.

other then me wanting asus because I have a asus mobo....the other reason is because I know some of the asus cards allow you to change voltage as long as you have a asus mobo

or am I wrong about that???  or is that just 280x and below and 7000 series??

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

im hoping me not getting the Asus 290x won't hurt me in that respect. Hopefully all the ref cards can have the voltage increased.

but the asus is still not available yet so I had to go with a sapphire.

other then me wanting asus because I have a asus mobo....the other reason is because I know some of the asus cards allow you to change voltage as long as you have a asus mobo

or am I wrong about that???

I believe you are correct but don't quote me on it, just remember that there are no non-reference cards for a while (so no DCU II).

This card is running at stock, 95c load.  Any hotter, it's going to melt the fan. :o

This card is running at stock, 95c load.  Any hotter, it's going to melt the fan. :o

I keep having this horrible thought involving a run away exothermic event (ie explosion). 95c is scary hot (5c more and it will convert water to steam).