Question about 2 difference graphics cards in one system.

NosRokanaske

This is probably a stupid question, but I know you can put together a system with 2 difference GPU, like in Linus's workstation ghetto build, but i was curious is if you can put it the R9 290X and the GTX 780 (or any kepler based card). Use the 290X for that sound thing they're implementing where the sound has physics now and use the GTX 780 for G-Sync, assuming you can get the drivers working. I know that some games, like Guild Wars 2, lets you select where the audio outputs. So maybe it can do something like that? I have a feeling the answer is probably no, but i was just curious.

Also on topic of the 290X Audio. All it does is making the sounds of the game sound more realistic right? It doesn't actually output any audio it just takes the load of it off the CPU.

Edit: Damnit. Got a typo in the title. :(

TL;DR Can you get TruAudio and G-Sync working for one system using both AMD and NVidia cards?

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Just don't...

Drivers will mess up.

Truaudio is not worth 550$ allthogh you could get a 7790/r7-260x for much less.

They would not be able to work together since they are not the same cards.

So you're going to get a 290x for sound?

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Just don't...

Drivers will mess up.

Truaudio is not worth 550$ allthogh you could get a 7790/r7-260x for much less.

They would not be able to work together since they are not the same cards.

Thats what i thought. I knew this was a dumb question to ask.

I guess my follow up is i thought true Audio is only for their new cards. At least i thought it was a hardware implementation not a software one.

So you're going to get a 290x for sound?

Yes and No. Yes in the sense that the TruAudio is somewhat of a good incentive to invest. No in that im not only going to get the card for audio.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Getting a 550$ GPU to use for sound .. yeah sure, why not. What else would you be using it for? They couldn't work together in SLI/CF (or .. CLI?) for better performance in games, so it's just a waste of money.

Invest that money on a sound card, good headphones and speakers if you want to

Thats what i thought. I knew this was a dumb question to ask.

I guess my follow up is i thought true Audio is only for their new cards. At least i thought it was a hardware implementation not a software one.

Yes and No. Yes in the sense that the TruAudio is somewhat of a good incentive to invest. No in that im not only going to get the card for audio.

The 7790 is the same as the r7-260x the 7790 had the hardware for truaudio since it was released, but it was not enabled and will get truaudio with a driver update.

The truaudio thing only exists on the ones mentioned above and r9-290/290x

This is borderline racist.........Mixing the Green Team with the Red Team?  Extremely Controversial.    :o   

Getting a 550$ GPU to use for sound .. yeah sure, why not. What else would you be using it for? They couldn't work together in SLI/CF (or .. CLI?) for better performance in games, so it's just a waste of money.

Invest that money on a sound card, good headphones and speakers if you want to

I was asking a hypothetical question of if it could work. I do have a sound card and good head phones already, but as far as i know TruAudio doesnt change the quality of the sound but how the sound is presented in games. I was asking if you could get that experience along with something like G-Sync. Not should I, could I. 

The 7790 is the same as the r7-260x the 7790 had the hardware for truaudio since it was released, but it was not enabled and will get truaudio with a driver update.

The truaudio thing only exists on the ones mentioned above and r9-290/290x

Ahh okay. Thanks for answering the question. 

This is borderline racist.........Mixing the Green Team with the Red Team?  Extremely Controversial.    :o   

But if you got the ASUS DCu2 for both of them, who can tell? :P