New budget rig

Hey all,

Well, I gave my old rig to my dad for use since I didn't need it any longer, I moved to a dorm and used my laptop for the past years and will continue to do so for the following two months.

Some things came up and I blew my budget on a car so I'm looking to build a new PC on a tight budget.

What I currently have:
BenQ 24" LED Full HD monitor

Keyboard & mouse
Speakers and headphones

WD Blue 1TB HDD (Data from old PC)

WD Black 2TB HDD (New)

Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD (New)

Sapphire R9 270X 2GB GPU (from old PC)

What I need: Well, everything else.

I was thinking of getting an AMD FX 8370E CPU which is on a "get rid of stock" sale right now for 120e (usual price for it is 180-203e), for example an i3 6100 is 123e and an i5 6600k is 254e (double the price of the Fx 8370E).

A GA-990X-Gaming SLI  will set me back 94e, while a decent Z170 board will set me back 160e, even good H170 boards cost around 140e.

To be honest the AMD combo would cost me a lot less and I could even fit a decent cooler into that price, it wouldn't need to be some expensive cooler since CPU is rated for a TDP of 95W.

The PSU and case will be chosen later on. I'm asking if I should buy the FX 8370E CPU while it's still on such a good sale?
I will probably update to an RX 470 later on but not at this point in time. This CPU will never be paired with high end GPUs in my system.

While this will be a gaming rig, most games that I run work on my laptop (i3 4005u, 8GB RAM, 820m 1GB, ssd+hdd), except Overwatch and Battlefield 1 which I plan on buying once I build this.

It will also be used for coding, graphics design, some rendering and a bit of 3D modeling. So this is supposed to be an allrounder on a budget.

What do you guys think?

If you want to check out pricing in Serbia visit Emmi.rs

In order to get the price in Euro, take the price shown on site and divide by 123. You can compare the CPU and motherboard pricing there.

Your going to be bottlenecked with the AMD, the architecture of the CPU is too old. I really recommend a i3 or i5 6600 or 6600k

The geek himself.

Yeah, with that pricing go with the AMD build. Since you're on a budget it makes the most sense and you'll get the most bang for your buck.
Have you looked at the price of i3's though? With a very basic board? I haven't compared them to an AMD CPU but that'd be an interesting comparison. Might be worth it to go that route.

9 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Your going to be bottlenecked with the AMD, the architecture of the CPU is too old. I really recommend a i3 or i5 6600 or 6600k

Not entirely. Especially not with a 270x or any other lower level card. He's not throwing a 1080 or anything into it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, with that pricing go with the AMD build. Since you're on a budget it makes the most sense and you'll get the most bang for your buck.
Have you looked at the price of i3's though? With a very basic board? I haven't compared them to an AMD CPU but that'd be an interesting comparison. Might be worth it to go that route.

Not entirely. Especially not with a 270x or any other lower level card. He's not throwing a 1080 or anything into it.

I just looked it up, an i3-6100 will set me back a few extra e, while the cheapest decent H170 and DDR4 board will set me back 15e more ( Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H), or about 35e (GA-H170-Gaming 3). DDR3 boards are only slightly cheaper than these two. Should I go lower than an H170 board? Or go for DDR3 boards? I'm thinking of keeping my options open for future upgrades in that case. Since with the AMD rig there are no updates, I'd have to go for AM4 boards and Zen CPUs.
Since I'm not up to date with the latest news, is Zen still on route for new years? Maybe wait and save up more cash?

1 hour ago, Bogica said:

I just looked it up, an i3-6100 will set me back a few extra e, while the cheapest decent H170 and DDR4 board will set me back 15e more ( Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H), or about 35e (GA-H170-Gaming 3). DDR3 boards are only slightly cheaper than these two. Should I go lower than an H170 board? Or go for DDR3 boards? I'm thinking of keeping my options open for future upgrades in that case. Since with the AMD rig there are no updates, I'd have to go for AM4 boards and Zen CPUs.
Since I'm not up to date with the latest news, is Zen still on route for new years? Maybe wait and save up more cash?

You don't need H with a locked CPU. B or even H110 is usually more than adequate, and most H170 boards don't add a great deal of functionality. Since you'd be upgrading the board and CPU with the AMD route anyway, as you say, it doesn't really matter if you had to do the same with the Intel stuff.

Don't bother with DDR3 boards unless you have DDR3L memory already. It severely limits your options. DDR4 isn't really much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.

It's tech my friend ;) You an always wait and get something better. I'm not sure when it releases but I wouldn't count on it being that amazing. AMD hasn't had a very good track record as of late.

Did you check to see how the i3 performs compared to the AMD chip? I'll have to check after my cool down/shower.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

You don't need H with a locked CPU. B or even H110 is usually more than adequate, and most H170 boards don't add a great deal of functionality. Since you'd be upgrading the board and CPU with the AMD route anyway, as you say, it doesn't really matter if you had to do the same with the Intel stuff.

Don't bother with DDR3 boards unless you have DDR3L memory already. It severely limits your options. DDR4 isn't really much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.

It's tech my friend ;) You an always wait and get something better. I'm not sure when it releases but I wouldn't count on it being that amazing. AMD hasn't had a very good track record as of late.

Did you check to see how the i3 performs compared to the AMD chip? I'll have to check after my cool down/shower.

I checked it out last night. In gaming they perform similar with the i3 coming out on top in a few games but only by about 10% at best and these were high framerates, at about 90-100fps. While down in the 40-50fps range they would clash with either coming out on top in some cases.

I don't have DDR3 memory on standby, I would have to buy new, prices here are roughly the same with about 1-5% price difference between DDR3 and DDR4.

I just looked up the release dates for Zen and they are claiming Q4 2016 to hit Christmas sales and some for early 2017. They are also claiming 40% higher IPC per core. This isn't that far into the future, I'm not sure if I should gather my money and wait a bit more. What is your opinion?

6 minutes ago, Bogica said:

I checked it out last night. In gaming they perform similar with the i3 coming out on top in a few games but only by about 10% at best and these were high framerates, at about 90-100fps. While down in the 40-50fps range they would clash with either coming out on top in some cases.

I don't have DDR3 memory on standby, I would have to buy new, prices here are roughly the same with about 1-5% price difference between DDR3 and DDR4.

I just looked up the release dates for Zen and they are claiming Q4 2016 to hit Christmas sales and some for early 2017. They are also claiming 40% higher IPC per core. This isn't that far into the future, I'm not sure if I should gather my money and wait a bit more. What is your opinion?

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Honestly if you don't need it right away and can wait, it'll always pay off in one way or another.
I don't think Zen will launch before Christmas though. I think they would have pushed for a Black Friday release, since that's when loads of people will be buying tech, and we haven't seen so much as a teaser from them.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Honestly if you don't need it right away and can wait, it'll always pay off in one way or another.
I don't think Zen will launch before Christmas though. I think they would have pushed for a Black Friday release, since that's when loads of people will be buying tech, and we haven't seen so much as a teaser from them.

Well, I only have cash for CPU, motherboard, RAM. I'd still have to wait for PSU, cooling etc. So either way the build won't be complete before Christmas. Then I'll wait. Thank you very much for your help, cheers! :D

5 hours ago, Bogica said:

Well, I only have cash for CPU, motherboard, RAM. I'd still have to wait for PSU, cooling etc. So either way the build won't be complete before Christmas. Then I'll wait. Thank you very much for your help, cheers! :D

I too will keep my fingers crossed for Zen ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler