Graphic card conundrum

I've been trying to come up with a cost efficient way to upgrade my current setup to increase my working performance, but at the same time be able to play modern games from time to time. I currently have two gtx760's in sli, which works fine, but since I hate to switch between windows while working (Yup. Three monitors isn't enough to keep track of everything simultaneously) I've decided to switch out my main display to a 4K display. This gives me a perfect excuse to switch out my old graphics cards to new one(s). I don't mind playing games in 1080p, but then again, if I had a 4K display, why not use 4K?

First I thought of getting a GTX1070, but since it does not support SLI I got reeeeeealy confused. I've been straying off from AMD for many years now and I have my prejudices towards their more recent cards because of that. I've been looking up benchmarks, reviews and comparisons, but still haven't been able to make a decisions between the two. So I decided to turn to LTT community! I've been reading this forum for quite some time and watching LTT videos even longer. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr
Gonna buy a 4K monitor to replace one monitor in 3-monitor setup. Want to buy new graphics card(s) because of that. AMD or NVIDIA?
Usecase: Programming, reading stackoverflow, simultaneous hardware monitoring and casual gaming. 

2 minutes ago, eloraju said:

I've been trying to come up with a cost efficient way to upgrade my current setup to increase my working performance, but at the same time be able to play modern games from time to time. I currently have two gtx760's in sli, which works fine, but since I hate to switch between windows while working (Yup. Three monitors isn't enough to keep track of everything simultaneously) I've decided to switch out my main display to a 4K display. This gives me a perfect excuse to switch out my old graphics cards to new one(s). I don't mind playing games in 1080p, but then again, if I had a 4K display, why not use 4K?

First I thought of getting a GTX1070, but since it does not support SLI I got reeeeeealy confused. I've been straying off from AMD for many years now and I have my prejudices towards their more recent cards because of that. I've been looking up benchmarks, reviews and comparisons, but still haven't been able to make a decisions between the two. So I decided to turn to LTT community! I've been reading this forum for quite some time and watching LTT videos even longer. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr
Gonna buy a 4K monitor to replace one monitor in 3-monitor setup. Want to buy new graphics card(s) because of that. AMD or NVIDIA?
Usecase: Programming, reading stackoverflow, simultaneous hardware monitoring and casual gaming. 

the 1070 does support sli but only a maxium of two cards

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Yea, 1070's can be SLI'd up to two cards. If you plan on getting more 4K screens I think a 1080 might be a better pick for you.

I must admit, even though I'm kinda biased towards AMD, I wouldn't recommend them right now. The Fury cards are too dated and the new Polaris cards are simply too slow for your needs (I assume). It might be interesting to see what Vega, AMD's high end cards, will have in store when they are released Q1 next year.

TL;DR - GTX 1080

Computer: Maximus VIII Gene - i7 6700k @ 4.2 GHz cooled by a Deepcool Frostwin v2.0 - Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X - 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 3600 mHz - Samsung 950 Pro 512gb - Seagate Barracuda 1tb - Corsair RM750X - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Grey with a 2m Enthoo Luxe RGB strip.

Peripherals: IKEA Bekant desk -  2x Dell 1080p IPS monitors - Corsair K70 RGB with Cherry MX Browns - Steelseries Sensei with a Steelseries QCK mousepad and a Sennheiser G4ME ZERO white

if you want to game at 4k its better to wait and see what next years cards can do. I bought a 1060 to keep my wallet happy as I havnt seen great benchmarks that motivate me to upgrade. I do use a UHD for work and its so much better than the multi monitor setup i had.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_