Ultrawide vs multi monitor setup

militant83

For strictly a production setup what is everyones take on an ultrawide setup vs a multi monitor set up with smaller monitors?

i recently switched from one 19" + one 27"; to one 28" UHD monitor. I just dont need that extra screen anymore

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It really depends on the kind of work you do. If you do multi window work in chich you need to take up the whole screen, 2 dual monitors "2560x1440-27 inch monitors" should work better, compared to a 34 inch ultrawide"3440x1440". In any other case the ultrawide is more producivity oriented.

Personally i love the looks of a ultrawide but for me its not something that would suit my needs, although i might do the crazy thing and go buy  one ultrawide 34 inch monitor and snadwich it with 2x27 inch 1440p monitors.

That's the most efficient way to make use of both cases, but it is quite expensive aound $2100.

Multi-monitor for nearly every use case. 

I have 5x 16:9 monitors, 1x 21:9 3440*1440 monitor and 1x 1:1 1920*1920 monitor. The ultrawide is simply the worst for productivity, whereas the 1:1 is by far the best (but also too expensive to recommend). 

The two big advantages to having multiple monitors are (to me):

• being able to give each window their own entire screen and not have to mess around with snapping.
  • being able to rotate an individual monitor into portrait. A lifesaver for programming, spreadsheeting etc

Ultrawide is fantastic for gaming and movie watching, but it pretty meh for productivity.

If you have a ridiculous budget, I cannot recommend this enough:

multimonitor by far

I use 5 monitors myself

cad work, shop, game, research, etc

love it