installing ubuntu

i have a fairly new laptop,  took the hard drive out to put in my new computer, i have a 250gb hdd for my laptop, i cba installing windows back onto the laptop,

from my understanding is that ill have to create a bootable usb? and install like that?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

That would be the best solution indeed.

Download the Ubuntu .iso of your choice from the official site

Download Universal USB Installer from this page (download link just below the middle of the page) 

If you follow the instructions, it should be easy enough to let UUI install the .iso on the stick.

Boot the laptop from the USB stick and play around with it a bit if you want, or install it right away. 

No need to create partitions manually etc, let the installer figure it all out for you until you're familiar with the inner workings of the OS. 

Keep in mind that any data on the stick will be overwritten when you turn it into a bootable Linux stick.  Also, any data on the HDD will be overwritten during the Linux installation. 

18 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Download Universal USB Installer from this page (download link just below the middle of the page) 

If you follow the instructions, it should be easy enough to let UUI install the .iso on the stick.

Boot the laptop from the USB stick and play around with it a bit if you want, or install it right away. 

No need to create partitions manually etc, let the installer figure it all out for you until you're familiar with the inner workings of the OS. 

Keep in mind that any data on the stick will be overwritten when you turn it into a bootable Linux stick.  Also, any data on the HDD will be overwritten during the Linux installation. 

ok

22 minutes ago, Ronda said:

Your post is very... loosely worded.

You do need to have either a bootable USB drive or a DVD to install Ubuntu on a computer.

yes

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

ubuntu doesnt seem to want to install to the HDD it just seems to acknowledge the USB

1 hour ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ubuntu doesnt seem to want to install to the HDD it just seems to acknowledge the USB

What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

Did it come with Windows 7, or a newer OS like 8 or 10?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

57 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

Did it come with Windows 7, or a newer OS like 8 or 10?

HP ENVY J186NA windows 8.1 then upgraded to windows 10, doesnt even recognise the drive ffs

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

don't, rufus works better and is more reliable https://rufus.akeo.ie/

trying it

but its not recognising my drive yet when i try with the exact same drive and usb it works fine, then installs fine onto the hdd but when said hdd is put into my laptop it doesnt work, its really annoying, would a new drive fix my issue or not ?

Install it on the HDD while the HDD is already in the laptop.  Like any OS, Ubuntu installs all kinds of drivers for the hardware etc.  If you're installing the OS on the HDD while that's in another machine, it'll install the wrong drivers.