am i thermal throttling

ruffel

i've been getting more frame drops when i game then before (at least i think it's more)

so i did a test thing

would this be considered thermal throttling 

CPU: AMD A8-5600k no overclock (the max clock is about 0.1~0.2 GHz higher than advertised (3.79GHz vs 3.60GHz ) but i didn't set that myself) 

thm.png

If it is hitting 90+C it would be thermal throttling.

AMD Overdrive is better to monitor the temps since apus use a thermal margin instead of reading an actual temperature. 

Frame loss can be due to ram usage, hdd usage, or possibbly the cpu can't keep up with the gpu as well.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

If it is hitting 90+C it would be thermal throttling.

AMD Overdrive is better to monitor the temps since apus use a thermal margin instead of reading an actual temperature. 

Frame loss can be due to ram usage, hdd usage, or possibbly the cpu can't keep up with the gpu as well.

i had overdrive opened during the test

the temperature margin is around 2 degrees, which agrees with the reading in aida64 (68 Celsius) if the thermal limit is 70 degrees

3 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

If you have a thermal throttling, AIDA will look like this

cpu-throttle.jpg

the red line only appears when there is throttling, yes? 

1 minute ago, SmashinMachine said:

Yes.

cpu-throttle.jpg

i guess it's something else causing the drops then. thanks for the help

It does not appear to be the CPU, maybe look at the GPU???

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

1 hour ago, ruffel said:

i had overdrive opened during the test

the temperature margin is around 2 degrees, which agrees with the reading in aida64 (68 Celsius) if the thermal limit is 70 degrees

Yes, the thermal limit of the 5600K is 74C. If Ovedrive reports a thermal margin of 2C, it is most likely measuring 72C. However, AIDA is not showing any throttling.

You should also observe throttling in the CPU frequency. In the example they posted here, AIDA doesn't seem to show any change in frequencies, but in usage, which is kind of strange (maybe because it stopped whatever test it was running?)

I'd suggest opening something liek HWMonitor, CPU-z, or CoreTemp I believe, which would show the clocks for each core. If any clock drops as thermal margins approach zero while under 100% load, your CPU is throttling; otherwise, it isn't.