Help with windows/Microsoft account

andrew.f

Hi,

My problem is that when I was setting up my windows 10 computer I was asked at the start for my user name, so I put down my name which is Andrew. Then a few steps later I was asked if I had a Microsoft account or If I wanted to create one now. I already had one so I put it in and finished setting everything up. When I logged in and was moving files and stuff around I noticed that my user name was andre. I dont know why it was changed. I know it doesn't really make a difference for most thing because it just uses my Microsoft account name but it does annoy me and now I am reinstalling windows for a another reason and I would like this to be fixed. I am wondering if that name (andre) is now linked to my Microsoft account, so if I reinstall windows and set everything up will my user name still be andre? If it is linked to my Microsoft account can I change it and how?

The name of the user account is linked to your microsoft account. If you sign in during setup it'll automatically use the first 5 letters of your email.

To prevent this, DO NOT sign in to a microsoft account during setup, and then connect a microsoft account after the user account is set up and you're in Windows proper.

23 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

The name of the user account is linked to your microsoft account. If you sign in during setup it'll automatically use the first 5 letters of your email.

To prevent this, DO NOT sign in to a microsoft account during setup, and then connect a microsoft account after the user account is set up and you're in Windows proper.

Thank you