Need help replacing my GPU

Smilesallround

I recently bought a 1060 6gb, and have discovered I have no idea how to replace my current gpu with it. I'm a complete and utter fool when it comes to this sort of stuff, hence why I bought the PC prebuilt. This will be my first time moving anything within the PC, and I had hoped maybe someone here could help me out by leading me in the right direction. I have many more pics if they are needed. I'm not even sure if the GPU is compatible with the mobo :(( Thanks in advance 

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

Unplug the power (the large cable in top right of the pic).

the card connects to the mobo using the pcie slot - similar to the long empty blue one you can see in the picture. Look for where the two meet, and there will normally be locking switch or mechanism you will need to press. Then simply pull the card away. 

Reverse process and done 

4 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Unplug the power (the large cable in top right of the pic).

the card connects to the mobo using the pcie slot - similar to the long empty blue one you can see in the picture. Look for where the two meet, and there will normally be locking switch or mechanism you will need to press. Then simply pull the card away. 

Reverse process and done 

Thank you very much for the clear response. The new card seems a lot less compact than the 550, in your opinion is there any chance it won't fit? Like could the green tp link part get in the way?

1 minute ago, Smilesallround said:

Thank you very much for the clear response. The new card seems a lot less compact than the 550, in your opinion is there any chance it won't fit? Like could the green tp link part get in the way?

Good point. 

Unfortunately from what I can see you will have to remove the tp link. The picture on the box of your 1060 shows it taking up two slots.

Should work for slots since your new one is a 2slot. Length we can't see. O you might need to update Nvidia drivers for optimal performance, unless you already run latest.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Good point. 

Unfortunately from what I can see you will have to remove the tp link. The picture on the box of your 1060 shows it taking up two slots.

look again, that Palit 550Ti also occupies two slots

---

@Smilesallround that's a video card

this is a GPU:

GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_3qtr.jpg

Here a video 

You going to trouble butting your card in you will probably have take out your small adapter card. 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I'm confused, so you guys think I will be able or won't be able to fit it?

1 minute ago, Smilesallround said:

It should fit if you have a big enough case/space. Just try it but don't force anything in.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, Smilesallround said:

No @zMeul is right the card will occupy the same space as your current one so there shouldn't be any issues.

12 minutes ago, Smilesallround said:

That shouldn't happen, no. The 1060 turbo has 2 slot spacing (the slot its plugged into, and the slot below it). Your TP link is 1 slot below those 2 slots, so you will be fine.

to replace a GPU, you should follow these steps.

1. Remove the power cables from your 550ti

2. remove the thumbscrews holding in your GPU

3. Press the clip down on the right side of your PCIe x16 slot in order to release your GPU from the slot

4. remove the GTX 550ti.

5. Make a super sweet unboxing video for your new totally badass GPU and brag to all your console peasant friends about your vast superiority (this step is the most important)

6. Insert GTX 1060 into that same PCIe x16 slot and make sure it snaps in (the clip on the right side of the PCIex16 slot should pop back up when correctly installed)

7. connect your 1060 to the case in the same manner as your 550ti is currently in there, using the two provided thumb screws.

8. Plug in the appropriate power connectors for your 1060.

Super easy stuff really. Good luck =)

6 minutes ago, Smilesallround said:

s1Pds0E.png

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

That shouldn't happen, no. The 1060 turbo has 2 slot spacing (the slot its plugged into, and the slot below it). Your TP link is 1 slot below those 2 slots, so you will be fine.

3. Press the clip down on the right side of your PCIe x16 slot in order to release your GPU from the slot

4. remove the GTX 550ti.

5. Make a super sweet unboxing video for your new totally badass GPU and brag to all your console peasant friends about your vast superiority (this step is the most important)

6. Insert GTX 1060 into that same PCIe x16 slot and make sure it snaps in (the clip on the right side of the PCIex16 slot should pop back up when correctly installed)

7. connect your 1060 to the case in the same manner as your 550ti is currently in there, using the two provided thumb screws.

Wow! Thanks so much for the great detailed response, I'll make sure to try my best on step 5. You've been a great help and I'll be sure to get back to you in the unlikely (only unlikely because of all the help!) event I have any further problems. Thanks again :D

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

---

@Smilesallround that's a video card

this is a GPU:

GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_3qtr.jpg

Oh! Man I had always felt like I was taking a little risk calling it that without being sure of what I was saying :/ Anyway I'm glad you corrected me haha thank you!

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

s1Pds0E.png

Man, thanks for going to that extra effort to edit that and everything! I feel like I'm learning at least a little bit from all this! :)

16 hours ago, Zyndo said:

4. remove the GTX 550ti.

Upon posting these images to Imgur, there have been comments + upvotes stating that my motherboard and CPU are going to bottleneck the 1060. I had asked around on forums before buying the card if this would be an issue and the answer had seemed to be no. Now I'm a bit worried, what do you think? @zMeul @daniielrp @Jasun @Gonio

Sorry for bothering you guys again and thank yous in advance.

15 minutes ago, Smilesallround said:

Upon posting these images to Imgur, there have been comments + upvotes stating that my motherboard and CPU are going to bottleneck the 1060. I had asked around on forums before buying the card if this would be an issue and the answer had seemed to be no. Now I'm a bit worried, what do you think? @zMeul @daniielrp @Jasun @Gonio

there will always be a limiting factor somewhere

also, you haven't detailed your system's specs

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

there will always be a limiting factor somewhere

also, you haven't detailed your system's specs

Specs:

Intel Core i5 3450 "Ivy Bridge" 
Akasa Nero 3 Cooler 
Asus P8H61-M LE Motherboard 
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory 
Chillblast GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB 

tell me if you need other specs :)

1 hour ago, Smilesallround said:

Np, from asking proper questions you get smarter, aslong as there are proper answers for it...

With PC's there is always a bottleneck somewhere. But don't worry to much about that, people give overall way to much wheight to it these days, unless you do crazy unbalanced things. Your mentioned CPU is good enough to keep up overall and games will run just fine... All that you can say about the bottleneck is that you might not get 100% of the potential from the parts. But aslong that games play smooth  and deliver enough fps and frametimes for a good experience you are good to go.

And I overall say you have to start somewhere with upgrading.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, Smilesallround said:

well the motherboard definitely will not bottleneck the GPU. PCIe 2.0 x16 is same amount of bandwidth as PCIe 3.0x8... which is still so much more than a gaming load will ever come close to using.

As far as your CPU goes, in MOST games, MOST of the time your GPU will limit your fps before your CPU will, however in a few CPU intensive games at higher framerates that may not always be the case. You should still be getting at or around 60 fps most of the time though, so I even if/when your CPU is technically bottlenecking your system, you should still have a very playable gaming experience.

In every system around the world has a bottleneck somewhere (even a 6950x, with 4200MHz RAM, two Titan XP's in SLI with a third for PhysX and the best full custom loop that money could buy so everything is overclocked as far as it can go). There is SOME component in the system that prevents it from going faster (with the aforementioned system, the monitor would probably be the bottleneck haha). however, people tend to lose their minds in gaming rigs if that bottleneck ever has the chance of being anything other than the GPU. people will often buy lower grade GPU's to avoid bottlnecking even a little amount, or WAYY overspending on your CPU's just to ensure it doesn't happen. You shouldn't be pairing a Pentium with a Titan, but your matchup is more than fine. Don't worry about the insane paranoia of others. You WILL occasionally bottleneck your GPU in the right games, but that doesn't automatically mean you're going to have a bad experience with it like the internet idiots would have you believe. You should be fine.

4 hours ago, Smilesallround said:

The motherboard usually does not bottleneck anything but the CPU might just by a tiny increment. If you really want to make everything even, try finding a better CPU like an i7 of some sorts but it won't be a problem. You might lose a few frames but I think it's fine. :) 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

16 hours ago, Zyndo said:

well the motherboard definitely will not bottleneck the GPU. PCIe 2.0 x16 is same amount of bandwidth as PCIe 3.0x8... which is still so much more than a gaming load will ever come close to using.

As far as your CPU goes, in MOST games, MOST of the time your GPU will limit your fps before your CPU will, however in a few CPU intensive games at higher framerates that may not always be the case. You should still be getting at or around 60 fps most of the time though, so I even if/when your CPU is technically bottlenecking your system, you should still have a very playable gaming experience.

In every system around the world has a bottleneck somewhere (even a 6950x, with 4200MHz RAM, two Titan XP's in SLI with a third for PhysX and the best full custom loop that money could buy so everything is overclocked as far as it can go). There is SOME component in the system that prevents it from going faster (with the aforementioned system, the monitor would probably be the bottleneck haha). however, people tend to lose their minds in gaming rigs if that bottleneck ever has the chance of being anything other than the GPU. people will often buy lower grade GPU's to avoid bottlnecking even a little amount, or WAYY overspending on your CPU's just to ensure it doesn't happen. You shouldn't be pairing a Pentium with a Titan, but your matchup is more than fine. Don't worry about the insane paranoia of others. You WILL occasionally bottleneck your GPU in the right games, but that doesn't automatically mean you're going to have a bad experience with it like the internet idiots would have you believe. You should be fine.

Damn, very nicely written! I understand and thank you for the answer. That's very reassuring :) 

14 hours ago, Jasun said:

The motherboard usually does not bottleneck anything but the CPU might just by a tiny increment. If you really want to make everything even, try finding a better CPU like an i7 of some sorts but it won't be a problem. You might lose a few frames but I think it's fine. :) 

Great, thank you! I'll look into buying a new CPU further down the line.