noctua in case 780t?

silvermert

I just got my new corsair graphite 780t case. in my previous case I had 1 Noctua 140mm PMW 1500 fan, I want to add my Noctua fan to the 780t case and control it with the built-in fan controller but I was told that I can only use that controller on fans that have the same rpm's as the fans that came with the case (no idea about the specs of this fans, couldn't find anything on the manuals) and also  I was told that this fan controller only works on not PWM fans (something about the voltages and pins). but since I know too little about all of this I decided to ask here for advice...

so, can I install my Noctua fan in my 780t case and control it with the fan controller or is everything I was told true?

thanks!

No, you don't need to use the same rpm fans as the ones that come with the case. The case fan controller uses 5v, 7v, or 12v for what is effectively ~40%, 60%, and 100% fan speed for a 12v fan. 

Although DC control is fine, using PWM would be optimal. The cpu_fan header on the motherboard usually provides the most reliable PWM signal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

42 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, you don't need to use the same rpm fans as the ones that come with the case. The case fan controller uses 5v, 7v, or 12v for what is effectively ~40%, 60%, and 100% fan speed for a 12v fan. 

Although DC control is fine, using PWM would be optimal. The cpu_fan header on the motherboard usually provides the most reliable PWM signal.

ok... soooo... can I put a 4 pin fan in the case and control it with the fan controller?

or does it have to be plug in the motherboard because it has 4 pins?

I understand that regardless of what I can plug the fan in my MOBO (z170-a) but I kinda like the little button on the front, ideally I want to plug all the fans to the built-in controller... 

4 minutes ago, silvermert said:

ok... soooo... can I put a 4 pin fan in the case and control it with the fan controller?

or does it have to be plug in the motherboard because it has 4 pins?

I understand that regardless of what I can plug the fan in my MOBO (z170-a) but I kinda like the little button on the front, ideally I want to could plug all the fans to the built-in controller... 

Yes, you can control your 4pin fan with the case fan controller. It just wouldn't be as good as using pwm which is what the fan was designed for.

The range of control with dc would be smaller and the fan might not be as quiet at the same rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.