GTX 1080 4k or 1440p

JohnFPS

Well I am building a pc with a asus gtx 1080 strix and I can not decide in what screen I should get 4k asus pb287q 28" 4k or asus pb277q 1440p 27" I can only buy 1 1080 I have never gamed on pc before so I want to go right 2 4k but the gtx 1080 can not hit 60 fps on ultra setting on all games but I want to know is high setting bad looking on pc I game on a ps4 now. I was thinking 1440p would look nice but 4k would be better but higher fps on 1440p would be nice what would you guys do I you could get 1 1080 1440p or 4k? thanks for help 

1 minute ago, JohnFPS said:

Well I am building a pc with a asus gtx 1080 strix and I can not decide in what screen I should get 4k asus pb287q 28" 4k or asus pb277q 1440p 27" I can only buy 1 1080 I have never gamed on pc before so I want to go right 2 4k but the gtx 1080 can not hit 60 fps on ultra setting on all games but I want to know is high setting bad looking on pc I game on a ps4 now. I was thinking 1440p would look nice but 4k would be better but higher fps on 1440p would be nice what would you guys do I you could get 1 1080 1440p or 4k? thanks for help 

How much do you want to spend on a monitor? I would suggest looking at some 100hz Ultrawides as well.

4K medium or even low will look better than pretty much anything a PS4 can do. 

What you would get the most from really depends on the type of games you're playing. Lots of FPS and fast moving games? Go for 1440p 144Hz. More RPG and adventure games? Go for 4K. 

You need dual 1070s or a single Titan XP (or a single 1080ti when it comes out January of 2017 I'm guessing) for 4k at high or ultra settings 60 FPS.

That doesn't means however, that there aren't uses for 4k screens: upscaling really high detail 1080p should look fairly good with a good ammount of AA (shouldn't be a problem for the gtx1080 outside of the craziest of AA methods like DSR) so if you can find a cheap and decent 4k screen you could still consider it.

But honestly with your budget you should aim at 1440p instead. Decent 1440p 60hz of around 27" or so should be 200 to 300 USD and that will look imho better than 4K at medium or low settings.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

How much do you want to spend on a monitor? I would suggest looking at some 100hz Ultrawides as well.

Well I want to get 2 of what ever I get and run 1 for gaming and 1 for desktop so like $800

Just now, JohnFPS said:

Well I want to get 2 of what ever I get and run 1 for gaming and 1 for desktop so like $800

Ahh well i would go with 4k and a 1080p screen for the second one since the ultrawides are out of your budget,

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

4K medium or even low will look better than pretty much anything a PS4 can do. 

What you would get the most from really depends on the type of games you're playing. Lots of FPS and fast moving games? Go for 1440p 144Hz. More RPG and adventure games? Go for 4K. 

sorry about being a noob but if you don't have 144hz can you not get more the 60 fps on the screen ?

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You need dual 1070s or a single Titan XP (or a single 1080ti when it comes out January of 2017 I'm guessing) for 4k at high or ultra settings 60 FPS.

That doesn't means however, that there aren't uses for 4k screens: upscaling really high detail 1080p should look fairly good with a good ammount of AA (shouldn't be a problem for the gtx1080 outside of the craziest of AA methods like DSR) so if you can find a cheap and decent 4k screen you could still consider it.

But honestly with your budget you should aim at 1440p instead. Decent 1440p 60hz of around 27" or so should be 200 to 300 USD and that will look imho better than 4K at medium or low settings.

But say I could get 1080ti and its run at what people leaked because I may not build pc until 2017 

sorry about being a noob but if you don't have 144hz can you not get more the 60 fps on the screen ?

The refresh rate of the display (quoted in Hz) is how many times it refreshes per second. So, on a 60Hz display, it refreshes 60 times a second, thus it cannot display more than 60 frames in a second. You can run a game at more than 60FPS, but only 60 Frames will actually be displayed. Running over the refresh rate of the monitor can cause something called screen tearing, where the top and bottom "halves" of the screen are misaligned due to the monitor refreshing halfway through drawing a frame. 

At 144Hz, the monitor can display 144 frames a second, allowing you to take advantage of higher FPS, making the game look and feel smoother. 

An example of screen tearing:

screen-tearing-blacklist.jpg

But say I could get 1080ti and its run at what people leaked because I may not build pc until 2017 

We can guess that the 1080ti will run fairly similar to the Titan X Pascal and that card can actually run most games on fairly high (though maybe not max) 4k 60 FPS it's just a beast.

witcher 38x21 fps

Be prepared to drop anywhere between 800 and 1000 USD for it though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, JohnFPS said:

We won't know how the 1080Ti will perform until it is actually released. You can look at rumours and "leaks" all you want, but I wouldn't commit to anything until we've actually seen reviews and benchmarks. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The refresh rate of the display (quoted in Hz) is how many times it refreshes per second. So, on a 60Hz display, it refreshes 60 times a second, thus it cannot display more than 60 frames in a second. You can run a game at more than 60FPS, but only 60 Frames will actually be displayed. Running over the refresh rate of the monitor can cause something called screen tearing, where the top and bottom "halves" of the screen are misaligned due to the monitor refreshing halfway through drawing a frame. 

At 144Hz, the monitor can display 144 frames a second, allowing you to take advantage of higher FPS, making the game look and feel smoother. 

Does having less FPS than 144 makes it feels laggy like 30FPS on 60hz monitor?

I'm looking for a new monitor myself.

Just now, Mello said:

Does having less FPS than 144 makes it feels laggy like 30FPS on 60hz monitor?

I'm looking for a new monitor myself.

It can depend. Different games handle different frame rates in different ways. What's really most important is keeping the frame rate consistent. Drops in frame rates is often what makes a game feel laggy. 

That said, if we're talking running at 90FPS on a 144Hz monitor, it's still going to be smooth. 30FPS is really at the minimum of what is acceptable for a frame rate, so it's bound to feel a bit choppy. 90FPS would still be a good frame rate and shouldn't feel choppy. That sort of situation is what GSync and FreeSync solve, though.

high refresh rate 1440p is superior to 60hz 4k, IMO.  1440p is a very nice resolution, and there is nothing more glorious than playing at over 100 fps with ultra settings!  Also, welcome to the glorious PC master race.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

4 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

1440p is a very nice resolution, and there is nothing more glorious than playing at over 100 fps with ultra settings.

Except for the black bars when watching any video, cutseen, etc.

If you buy gpu's or upgrade often go 4k. A 1080 can do AAA games ultra/high around 60fps. Takes a mix of settings in those categories to get around 60fps. Not perfect but playable. 

If you aren't going to upgrade for a few years go with 1440p, but I would not bother spending a large sum for a pimped out 144hz ips 1440p, just go 60hz. My logic is that the extra money could be spent on an additional gpu to run 4k. And 4k will be the new standard in a year or two, 1440 is only a stopgap for now. Also 4k isnt that much more than 1440p, there are some good 4k ips monitors from lg. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

19 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

Except for the black bars when watching any video, cutseen, etc.

If you buy gpu's or upgrade often go 4k. A 1080 can do AAA games ultra/high around 60fps. Takes a mix of settings in those categories to get around 60fps. Not perfect but playable. 

If you aren't going to upgrade for a few years go with 1440p, but I would not bother spending a large sum for a pimped out 144hz ips 1440p, just go 60hz. My logic is that the extra money could be spent on an additional gpu to run 4k. And 4k will be the new standard in a year or two, 1440 is only a stopgap for now. Also 4k isnt that much more than 1440p, there are some good 4k ips monitors from lg. 

there are no black bars, 1440p is the same aspect ratio as 1080p.  And if you tried 1440p 165hz you would be converted instantly!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build