Looking for 2 UPS's for Server/Gaming PC & Modem/Phone

Inrix
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, Inrix said:

-snip-

Sorry for the late reply, went to sleep / LTT was down.

Ah, you should be able to get away with 1200VA or less for the server. My server uses 200-250W while running, and it gets 48min on my UPS unit.

I still think you should split up the PC and server (with modem). You might get a better run time out of two smaller units vs one larger one (and pay a lot less).

Well, my recommendation would be the Eaton 5S series or the 5P series (5P costing more). They should be good, both line interactive (with the 5P being more power efficient), and the capacity depends if you have the server / gaming PC on a single UPS or not. Do note that you need to stay below the VA rating (which is usually just a tad lower than the wattage usage).

To find runtimes, every company usually has a graph that shows you a estimated run time at a set wattage usage. Eaton's website is fairly close, but I'd usually give yourself a 5% buffer on runtimes.

Ah, do note that there's three forms of power output, square, stepped sine, and pure sine. Pure sine is the most expensive, where square is the cheapest and terrible. Most PSUs will not power with square. Stepped sine is usually the norm for most mid range UPS units.

There's also three types of UPS units, standby, line interactive, and double online conversion. Standby is the cheapest, where it just turns on when the voltage drops, but does not correct any voltage drops (before the battery kicks in). Line interactive is the middle of the road, it tries it's best to correct voltage dips, and if it gets too low, it goes to battery. Double Online conversion is the most expensive and fancy, where it literally converts the AC input to DC power, then reconverts it back to AC power, effectively creating pure AC from scratch. It completely kills out electrical noise as well. It's severe overkill / is loud for home use. Double online gives out a constant power output, with a greater range than line interactive, but it is loud because it needs to have a fan always on because it's always converting power at all times.

I'm interested in getting two UPS units, one for a home server and gaming PC and another for my fiber modem, router and phone.

Under full load the gaming PC and server will pull over 1200W, as for the modems I dont know how much... I have a Netgear D6200 and a Fiber modem plus a normal home phone.

I'm not interested in getting the UPS so I can "Play games while the power is off" but more so that if the power does go out for any reason I can safely shutdown my computer. If possible It would be nice to be able to have the server continue to run for 30min - 1hour before shutting it down allowing for the power to come back on or give me more time to shutdown things. Though I don't know if this is possible as I know the server could pull around 300W under full load (Details on its parts are listed below)...

The server is using a 6700k non oc'd but that might change.

32Gb of DDR4 3200mhz ram

3 4TB Hdds, One seagate the rest are WD Blue all set to spin down when not in use

A 950 Pro 256GB m.2 and a 120GB Kingston SSD

It also has 4 Fans and a 240mm Rad

I'm estimating that under full load it would pull around 300W but it could sit around 200 It has a 450W PSU in it.

The gaming PC has a 850W PSU and is running a OC'd 6700k

16GB DDR4 3200mhz

1TB SSD

512GB 950 Pro m.2

EVGA 1080 Hybrid FTW

An 240mm rad for the CPU

5-7 Fans (Might be adding more)

Plus 3 monitors and other stuff running

That should be everything... I would like it if the UPS had the ability to shutdown the server over USB or something when it got low...

My budget for this maxes out at $1000 NZD but anything lower would be nice... That includes the UPS for the Server/PC and the Modems. (NOTE: I wanted one UPS for the PC and the Server as if the PC is not running I would not have a UPS laying around doing nothing.

Also it needs to be able to either be shipped to NZ or purchased from this site: http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1293

TLDR: I need two UPS's One for Server/Gaming PC (Full load 1200W+) Preferably able to shutdown PC and have server (300-400W Max Load) to run for 30min-1hr before auto shutdown. Other UPS is for modem preferably run for a few hours. Max budget is $1000 NZD must be able to be shipped to NZ or ordered from this site: http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1293

I basically have no experience with UPS's so yea.... :/

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

1 hour ago, Inrix said:

-snip-

Just wanted to say, getting a UPS with that find of run time (30-1hr) for 300-400W+ isn't going to be cheap. I have a Eaton 9130 2000W 1800VA rackmount unit and even at 400W load, I get 35min of run time.

I think your server is probably using 200 watts or less probably. My own server with 15 drives, a GPU, and a 14 core Xeon pulls 300-350W under full storage load (GPU is always idling / CPU never does much...).

The gaming system though, that probably is around 600-700W or more because of the amount of screens. I know my PC pulls roughly 400-500W, but I have a 980 Ti and a 2500K (both overclocked) but one screen.

I think you should have the server / modem on one UPS and the gaming PC on the other...it's going to be hard to find a single UPS unit to power a gaming PC and a server running full load for 30min+ without costing a lot (I think you'd need battery module to pull this off). I think 1600W on my UPS gets 10min of run time. I'd say roughly 15-18 for 1200W.

I recommend Eaton, APC, Delta, or Cyberpower UPS units. Eaton and Delta are the top to me, but these brands are fairly good all around. You might get a 1600VA unit and get a extended battery if you plan on having the server / gaming PC on one UPS unit. Do note though, that you can only use USB to turn off one PC, not both, so you might consider moving the server to the other UPS for that reason.

However, I'm having trouble meeting your runtime with your budget. The Eaton 5 series is my go to for UPS units. The APC Back Up Pro are good as well. Cyberpower has the best capacity to cost.

14 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

-snip-

The run time only needs to be for the server and 30 min is fine (but more is always better). The idea is that as soon as the power goes off the gaming PC is shutdown manually asap with only the server left running until the UPS gets low and it gets auto turned off (Which is why i was thinking 1 UPS for both with a higher capacity as the modem/router wouldn't use much...) And thanks for the reccomendation... Ill look into those brands, are their any specifics I should look into in terms of specs battery wise?

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, Inrix said:

-snip-

Sorry for the late reply, went to sleep / LTT was down.

Ah, you should be able to get away with 1200VA or less for the server. My server uses 200-250W while running, and it gets 48min on my UPS unit.

I still think you should split up the PC and server (with modem). You might get a better run time out of two smaller units vs one larger one (and pay a lot less).

Well, my recommendation would be the Eaton 5S series or the 5P series (5P costing more). They should be good, both line interactive (with the 5P being more power efficient), and the capacity depends if you have the server / gaming PC on a single UPS or not. Do note that you need to stay below the VA rating (which is usually just a tad lower than the wattage usage).

To find runtimes, every company usually has a graph that shows you a estimated run time at a set wattage usage. Eaton's website is fairly close, but I'd usually give yourself a 5% buffer on runtimes.

Ah, do note that there's three forms of power output, square, stepped sine, and pure sine. Pure sine is the most expensive, where square is the cheapest and terrible. Most PSUs will not power with square. Stepped sine is usually the norm for most mid range UPS units.

There's also three types of UPS units, standby, line interactive, and double online conversion. Standby is the cheapest, where it just turns on when the voltage drops, but does not correct any voltage drops (before the battery kicks in). Line interactive is the middle of the road, it tries it's best to correct voltage dips, and if it gets too low, it goes to battery. Double Online conversion is the most expensive and fancy, where it literally converts the AC input to DC power, then reconverts it back to AC power, effectively creating pure AC from scratch. It completely kills out electrical noise as well. It's severe overkill / is loud for home use. Double online gives out a constant power output, with a greater range than line interactive, but it is loud because it needs to have a fan always on because it's always converting power at all times.