Great router on a good channel but terrible DL speed

Stevoisboss

I have a Asus RT-AC88u as my router and I made sure that I was 2-3 channels away from others on the 2.4Ghz band. I can monitor the real-time traffic via an app on my phone which is in the <100 KBs range. I was usually getting rock stable speeds of 60Mbs DL all throughout my house on the 5Ghz band and 30Mbs DL or more on the 2.4Ghz channel. Now for the past week I have been lucky to get 1Mbs DL on the 5Ghz network while I am standing in front of the router with a 6Mbps upload. I recently bought the router and it was working great for about a month so I doubt its the routers fault. Also to take note of I get great ping in games when using wifi (<40) although I get about 10% packet loss. I checked firmware through the app and its up to date. I don't have a bandwidth limiter enabled. Network diagnostics on the app finds nothing wrong with it. I am using http instead of https. It shows barely any cpu or ram usage via the app also. Wifi eco mode is off. I have rebooted the router multiple times and unplugged and replugged everything. I am at a loss for words at how frustrating this is. It took me at least 5 mins to sign in and load this page from my phone...and I have my phone on highest priority in qos. Please help and thanks for any advice

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

What do you get when connected by Ethernet?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

If you see similar issues with a wired ethernet connection, then It's either your router or your internet connection. Are you using the same device to test wired and wireless? If so it could also be your device. What type of internet service do you have? 

Look on your router. Some of them show the actual down and uplink provided by your ISP on the mainpage. Some of them also show the damping on the link to your ISP. If the Damping is to high, their is a problem with your link to your ISP. If everything looks ok then contact your ISP if they mess something up. Here are some references:

Damping link - ATM-Link 300 kHz @ Kontes:

0,35 mm = 14 dB
0,4 mm = 12 dB
0,5 mm = 8,5 dB
0,6 mm = 7,5 dB
0,8 mm = 5,7 dB
everything per 1000 meters

Flexprod-damping calculation für GbE/Annex J-connection on 1Mhz-basis, (P) = paper-sheath ("historical link"), (PE) = plastic sheath (sheath in german = Ummantelung):
cross-section = damping per 1000 meters

0,35 mm = 24,0 dB (PE)
0,4 mm = 21,2 dB (PE) / 21,4 dB (P)
0,5 mm = 16,0 dB (PE)
0,6 mm = 13,1 dB (PE) / 16,1 dB (P)
0,8 mm = 9,7 dB (PE) / 12,2 dB (P)
0,9 mm = 11,1 dB (P)
1,2 mm = 9,1 dB (P)
1,4 mm = 8,2 dB (P)

german source: Damping DSL and other

If everything looks ok, then look in your contract with your ISP if you have a data-volume after which you get throttled then this is the problem.

Edited by Cellebyte
typo

1 hour ago, schizznick said:

If you see similar issues with a wired ethernet connection, then It's either your router or your internet connection. Are you using the same device to test wired and wireless? If so it could also be your device. What type of internet service do you have? 

Yes I am using the same device and its the same across multiple devices. I have cox internet.

Check out my HTPC build.

On October 24, 2016 at 3:41 AM, mcraftax said:

On October 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM, schizznick said:

On October 24, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Cellebyte said:

I literally did nothing and now its working perfectly again.

Check out my HTPC build.

10 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

I literally did nothing and now its working perfectly again.

So problem was not by you.