Disk usage at constant 100% until disk cleanup?

Friedmurloc

Hey there fellow tech geeks! i have a very strange problem with my laptop's (windows 10) hard drive, it boots up with 100% usage, but when i clean the disk, the usage drops to 2% again, and it stays like this until the next boot, sometimes with spikes up to 80%.
I have tried defragging, turning off services like superfetch, disabling non-essential boot up programs, turning off windows 10 notifications, but nothing seems to permanently fix it.

Either the hard disk is dying a slow, painful death, or windows is somehow constantly spanking it.

How can i solve this rather annoying issue? i'd have no problem replacing the drive, i already made a windows backup.

Thanks in advance!

You can't swim against the waves, but you can learn to surf them.

Find out what is using it, if it should be, and if you need to stop it. Windows does tend to do a lot of housekeeping or other things especially if it hasn't been used in a while. Task manager process tab, sort by disk activity. Who is using it?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

That's the strange thing, it says it's 100% in use, but no app seems to use that much, is my HDD working overtime for something on the background?

You can't swim against the waves, but you can learn to surf them.

The % is of disk activity, which might be random and thus not show up as high in transfer rate. Still, sort by activity and see what comes out on top.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

With crystaldiscinfo you could check the health status of your hdd.

On windows 10 have a look at the installed apps window. On the "bottom" of the list their is a link to a menu for background activity. You should also find it under the security settings. You could disable all apps background activity their. This should help a lot.