Having issue with new PC build

Azaroth

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum 

But not new to building computers. I've been putting together a new computer with budget in mind and after receiving all the parts, putting them together when the computer boots up there is no signal sent out from the video card. I spent all night working on it with no solution, I've tried outputting to a TV and monitor through HDMI, dvi to HDMI with an adaptor and nothing. Everything gets power, fans spin, pump on cooler runs, lights come on, no red lights on motherboard, everything seems like it's working. I haven't installed an OS yet cause I can't see what's going on. I know I took a chance on an engineering sample Xeon from eBay, they stated it worked and I can return it, it is listed as working with the board on the MSI site. All parts were wituer used or refirbushed to helo cut cost.

Please help and thanks you all. 

I'll leave the list below of components. 
MSI X99 kraitA motherboard 
Nvidia 980ti 
Corsair vengeance Ddr4 RAM 2600 8x2 gig kit 
Corsair H100 i gtx 
Ocz ssd 
WD blue caviar 2 terabyte 
Corsair CX 750M PSU 
Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 ES 

I've reconnected all the cables, reseated the CPU, gpu, and RAM. 

The motherboard is supposed to beep on startup correct? If it's not doing that where should I start looking to see where I've messed up. 

Update. Exchanged the board for an MSI X99 raider and still no post sound even with a speaker plugged into the board and no output from the 980ti 

I am so lost. 

You should connect to a regular monitor using a DVI-D cable vs initially connecting via HDMI. You'll need to update your drivers before the HDMI ports will work for some reason. I had this same issue with my GTX 1070. The HDMI would not output properly until I updated all of the drivers. Then voila it worked with no issues. 

My First/Current Rig : Fractal Core 500 / i7 6700K / MSI GTX 1070

Fully PC Part Picker List: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/tzbj4D
LTT Build Log Thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/679617-zippy-my-first-build/

11 hours ago, alanmoser said:

You should connect to a regular monitor using a DVI-D cable vs initially connecting via HDMI. You'll need to update your drivers before the HDMI ports will work for some reason. I had this same issue with my GTX 1070. The HDMI would not output properly until I updated all of the drivers. Then voila it worked with no issues.it

I'll be trying the GPU in another working rig today with dvi cables to make sure it works, thankyou for the advice 

Update. I tried the 98ti in anotjer system and it worked no problem. I'll be sending back the CPU. Thank you all so much. 

Talking to the CPU seller he doesn't think I'm testing everything properly, is it possible that after 2 motherboards, 2 GPU, 2 PSU, and 3 monitor tests that is something other than the CPU that is not working? 

1 hour ago, Azaroth said:

Talking to the CPU seller he doesn't think I'm testing everything properly, is it possible that after 2 motherboards, 2 GPU, 2 PSU, and 3 monitor tests that is something other than the CPU that is not working? 

Seems like the only thing you haven't swapped out has been the RAM (you did say you reseated it). You said it's 8x 2GB sticks? So all RAM slots are populated? Try removing all but one and see what happens.

Another thing to check is that the H100i's 3-pin cable is plugged into the CPUFAN1 header; Some boards won't POST if there's nothing connected to that header.

My bad for the confusing statement it's a 16 gig kit of RAM, 2 8gig sticks. I've tried it with both, one and none. Also I did double check to make sure the fan is connected to the correct header, I ran it direct and through the splitter nothing has changed the situation. I can't get a display out when it's all together so icant check the BIOS or anything else. 

Just looking over the CPU support list for the board, looks like the E5-2630 V4 is supported as of the N6 BIOS revision, released back in mid-April. It might be that you'll need to update the BIOS.

Speaking of which, the "ES" versions are engineering samples. The few eBay listings I've found with those mention that not all X99 motherboards support them. According to this listing, only as of BIOS revision N7 (late May) is it supported by the X99A/S Krait Edition, so again, you'll probably need to flash the BIOS to get anything out of it. Sadly, MSI doesn't seem to offer a way to do a BIOS update without booting first. Any chance you know anybody with an LGA 2011-V3 CPU you could borrow to flash the board with?

My bad for the confusing statement it's a 16 gig kit of RAM, 2 8gig sticks. I've tried it with both, one and none. Also I did double check to make sure the fan is connected to the correct header, I ran it direct and through the splitter nothing has changed the situation. I can't get a display out when it's all together so icant check the BIOS or anything else. 

If I could get the damn thing to output a signal it would be totally fine, the fisrt board I tried with was the X99 kraitA but no matter what I do I can't get it to work. I feel my chances are best returning it.  All the advice here is super helpful but nothing makes much of a difference when there's no video output. 

42 minutes ago, Azaroth said:

If I could get the damn thing to output a signal it would be totally fine, the fisrt board I tried with was the X99 kraitA but no matter what I do I can't get it to work. I feel my chances are best returning it.  All the advice here is super helpful but nothing makes much of a difference when there's no video output. 

Right, if you had an earlier LGA 2011-V3 CPU to use for a minute while you updated the BIOS, that would probably resolve it, but the CPU you have is a little exotic and a later release, so my money's on the BIOS just not being recent enough to support it.

So let's say I return this one, is it likely to order a different ES Xeon from a different seller and actually have it work? Or should I just save my pennies for a 5820k or a CPU in that line up. Main use will be video editing and game design. Or should I look for an older V3  Xeon  

10 hours ago, Azaroth said:

So let's say I return this one, is it likely to order a different ES Xeon from a different seller and actually have it work? Or should I just save my pennies for a 5820k or a CPU in that line up. Main use will be video editing and game design. Or should I look for an older V3  Xeon  

The CPU support chart for the X99 Krait Edition shows the 2630-V3 is supported from the earliest BIOS revision, so that should be perfectly fine. The V3 is slightly higher clocked than the V4 anyway, while the V4 has more cache; If you're going to be gaming, the higher clock speed would be more beneficial overall IMO.

Went and bought a 6800 k and still no luck, took the RAM out got post code beeps. I didn't count how many cause I was in shock it was working. Can't get into the BIOS no output and nothing. Could it be the board and RAM. The gpu works

1 minute ago, Azaroth said:

Went and bought a 6800 k and still no luck, took the RAM out got post code beeps. I didn't count how many cause I was in shock it was working. Can't get into the BIOS no output and nothing. Could it be the board and RAM. The gpu works

POST beeps are good! Try different RAM slots to see if you can get one of the modules to POST, and make sure the GPU's got its PCI-E power cable(s) connected, and that the motherboard's 8-pin CPU power cable is connected firmly. Try clearing the CMOS again, too, just to be certain.

Cleared CMOS,  no RAM it just cycles off and on. With one or two RAM sticks in it runs but nothing happens. 2666 RAM, could that be the problem 

Is it possible that the RAM is the problem. I thought if the RAM was too fast for the board it would down clock it to the rated speed. 

29 minutes ago, Azaroth said:

Is it possible that the RAM is the problem. I thought if the RAM was too fast for the board it would down clock it to the rated speed. 

The RAM could be the problem, but not because it's "too fast"; What RAM speed ratings mean are a maximum stable tested performance level. All DDR4 runs at 2133 standard, no matter what the rated speed is. It's the XMP profile (or manual entry of said profile) that makes the difference.

Would the most logical step be return the board for a different not refurbished one and try different RAM? 

1 minute ago, Azaroth said:

Would the most logical step be return the board for a different not refurbished one and try different RAM? 

At this point, that's probably the next steps to take. One last thing you could try is pull the board from the case altogether, put it onto a box or something non-conductive, and try booting it from there to rule out something grounding out on the case.

Bead boarded it, still nothing. I'm stating to think it has to be the board. When I'm at the store which ones should I look for. 

I'd say an ASUS X99-A II would be a comparably-priced and specced replacement if you wanted to try a different manufacturer.