[C#] Where to begin?

Xiauj

Hey guys ^_^ Was just wondering if you guys could perhaps help me out with something?

So um, I've been wanting to do this for a very long time and am gonna try to begin it soon which is.. to learn C# (C-Sharp) for this idea that I have in mind which is, an App/Software but for personal use with whatever functions I decide to add.

However.... I need some recommendations as to like, where to begin when it comes to C# as a beginner; any guides/tutorials which you guys could perhaps recommend? I haven't tried coding before but I have seen a few YT-Videos about it and yea I dunno, I just need a place to start really, then I can try to learn a bit more along the way :P I've chose an IDE and that will be Visual Studio if curious.

So yeah, any recommendations?

Thanks

~Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

Pluralsight and search for beginner level C# courses. You should also be aware that it's not all about syntax as theory is of equal (arguably greater) importance and should be started as soon as possible in parallel.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Could be worth it to also look at Microsoft's documentation, I mostly leaned C# there, they have good turorials.

I dediced to learn the Universal Windows Platform at the same time, the have really extensive documentation.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

Like the above recommendations, I also recommend the following

53 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

This is where I would probably start as it's free and you can save your free trial to Pluralsight for a little more interesting material.

I'm not familiar with the other Bob Tabor courses but they may be good as well.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

Pluralsight and search for beginner level C# courses.

Note that normally this is about $30 a month, or $300 a year, but you can get 3 free months if you sign up for the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program, which is free and you need it for Visual Studio Community anyway.

If you go with Pluralsight, I recommend you check out the C# Path which gives you a set of courses to go through from beginner to advanced. They aren't the only good C# courses though but it can be nice to have a path to follow. The benefit of a site like Pluralsight is they provide you with a huge library of courses to choose from on many different topics that are useful to you as a software developer.

Microsoft Virtual Academy - it's amazing, use it, live it, love it. 

MSDN - So much useful documentation, F1 shortcut in Visual Studio takes you to items information pages if they have one. You will constantly refer to MSDN because it's amazing

Resharper (free for students) - It's an add on but it's amazing, it'll help you keep inline with Microsoft coding standards and generally gives some nice suggestions. 

Projects - https://blog.udemy.com/c-sharp-projects/ - By the time you complete a few of these projects you'll be at the stage where you're competent enough in C# to decide on an area of expertise you want to go in and then persue that route. The projects aren't hard but you will learn a lot from doing them. Making projects is where I learned the majority of the info I needed, I'm sure it'll be the same for you.

Youtube - Tutorials on Youtube are super handy, use them

Stackoverflow - this saves my ass all the time, use it :D.

P.S When you run into errors that don't seem to make sense to you. Carefully read the error and try to make sense of it before Googling it; the errors themselves for entry level programming are generally understandable with minimal programming knowledge. The amount of times I used to ask for help when it wasn't really needed was actually a detriment to my progress because it slowed down my problem solving ability progression. I say this to you because over time you'll notice your thought process of how you tackle problems will improve and the better you can get into that flow the better.

P.P.S Good luck, C# is awesome!