Dual storage setup

Hey,

I am upgrading from one primary: HDD to a two storage units rig (primary: m.2 ssd and a secondary; HDD). I would like to had the OS and basic programs (such as; browser and video games .etc) on the ssd. And documents on the secondary. How should I set it up? Should I use raid?

Thanks!

FlavorZ

Don't use raid. You want to have separate drives in your OS. I think Linus has a video for setting this up. It works with Windows 7/8/10. Lemme find it.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

2 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Don't use raid. You want to have separate drives in your OS. I think Linus has a video for setting this up. It works with Windows 7/8/10. Lemme find it.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

8 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Don't use raid. You want to have separate drives in your OS. I think Linus has a video for setting this up. It works with Windows 7/8/10. Lemme find it.

Thanks a lot!

1 minute ago, FlavorZ said:

Thanks a lot!

No problem. Any issues/questions just quote me and I'll see it.

Night Theme User

15 minutes ago, FlavorZ said:

Thanks a lot!

I would do the following:

1. Make a second partition on your HDD (use Disk Management).
  2. Move all documents and other stuff you want on the HDD to the second partition.
  3. Use something like EaseUS partition manager to resize the partition. It will require a reboot. You can't just use Disk Management because it doesn't defrag the HDD to make it as small as possible.
  4. Use something like AOMEI Backupper to clone the first partition on your HDD (C drive) to the SSD.
  5. Boot from the SSD once the clone is done.
  6. Delete the old C partition on your HDD (it will be small so should be easy to recognize in Disk Management).
  7. Expand the 2nd partition on your HDD with all the Documents.
  8. Redirect your Documents folder (and other folders like Music, Pictures, etc etc) to the folders on the HDD.

You only have to do that if your SSD can't fit everything that's on your HDD. If it can, shrink the partition on the HDD to smaller than the SSD's total size and then clone. Then just move all the files back to the HDD after switching to the SSD as boot drive.

The purpose of that is that you will keep your current installation. Won't have to reinstall windows and games and stuff.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

6 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

I would do the following:

1. Make a second partition on your HDD (use Disk Management).
  2. Move all documents and other stuff you want on the HDD to the second partition.
  3. Use something like EaseUS partition manager to resize the partition. It will require a reboot. You can't just use Disk Management because it doesn't defrag the HDD to make it as small as possible.
  4. Use something like AOMEI Backupper to clone the first partition on your HDD (C drive) to the SSD.
  5. Boot from the SSD once the clone is done.
  6. Delete the old C partition on your HDD (it will be small so should be easy to recognize in Disk Management).
  7. Expand the 2nd partition on your HDD with all the Documents.
  8. Redirect your Documents folder (and other folders like Music, Pictures, etc etc) to the folders on the HDD.

You only have to do that if your SSD can't fit everything that's on your HDD. If it can, shrink the partition on the HDD to smaller than the SSD's total size and then clone. Then just move all the files back to the HDD after switching to the SSD as boot drive.

The purpose of that is that you will keep your current installation. Won't have to reinstall windows and games and stuff.

Thanks! I'll try that.