Windows Installing

ASAP_Gooby

Where should I buy a Windows 10 key, and how do I install it onto the new PC that I've just built and haven't turned on yet, much less hooked it up to a monitor.

You can get for cheap at g2a or kinguin

You need to have a usb stick (flash drive) to install it too

16 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You can get for cheap at g2a or kinguin

You need to have a usb stick (flash drive) to install it too

Cool, when I put it on the USB, am I supposed to stick it into the new pc then start it up? Will it detect the OS?

You have to make sure you will boot from your USB stick. It will find your windows installation program, and start installing windows. You might also be able to burn the windows installation to a DVD disk.

3 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

Cool, when I put it on the USB, am I supposed to stick it into the new pc then start it up? Will it detect the OS?

It should detect it. But if haven't even turned the system on at all yet, then it would be best if you see if the system actually POSTs first and then set the optimised defaults in the BIOS or UEFI. Then plug in your USB stick with your OS installer on and it may or may not boot to the USB by default. If it doesn't, hit the appropriate 'F' key to get to your boot menu and select your USB stick. Install Windows like normal by selecting your partions (for new built machines I would just go for the whole disk as the partition) and letting it do it's magic. Good luck!

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

1 hour ago, EvilCat70 said:

It should detect it. But if haven't even turned the system on at all yet, then it would be best if you see if the system actually POSTs first and then set the optimised defaults in the BIOS or UEFI. Then plug in your USB stick with your OS installer on and it may or may not boot to the USB by default. If it doesn't, hit the appropriate 'F' key to get to your boot menu and select your USB stick. Install Windows like normal by selecting your partions (for new built machines I would just go for the whole disk as the partition) and letting it do it's magic. Good luck!

So when it asks for the product key, I don't have one, so what do I do? I'm watching tutorials and it says you can skip it

11 hours ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

So when it asks for the product key, I don't have one, so what do I do? I'm watching tutorials and it says you can skip it

Just skip it. You can use any Windows OS for 30 days as trial. And it seems even longer after that, just with reduced features.

I also highly recommend getting retail key. When you think about value it gives over 5-7 years of use, it really is worth the money.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv