Asus "CPU Fan Error"

My brother's computer has been getting a BIOS message that the CPU fan has an error. It will then turn the computer off but only after being used for a period of time (half an hour to a couple hours). We installed a new fan thinking it was on the fan's side. The new and old fan both run fine and I've had the computer crash at 30C before. When I go into the bios it doesn't register the CPU fan and also doesn't let me change any of the CPU fan settings. The fan indeed is plugged into the right socket and the old fan hadn't been tampered with before this problem occurred. 

Mobo: Asus P7Q57-M DO (Latest driver)
CPU: I3 560
Old fan: Stock Intel unit
New fan: Hyper TX3

2 minutes ago, pitbox46 said:

My brother's computer has been getting a BIOS message that the CPU fan has an error. It will then turn the computer off but only after being used for a period of time (half an hour to a couple hours). We installed a new fan thinking it was on the fan's side. The new and old fan both run fine and I've had the computer crash at 30C before. When I go into the bios it doesn't register the CPU fan and also doesn't let me change any of the CPU fan settings. The fan indeed is plugged into the right socket and the old fan hadn't been tampered with before this problem occurred. 

Mobo: Asus P7Q57-M DO (Latest driver)
CPU: I3 560
Old fan: Stock Intel unit
New fan: Hyper TX3

Did you plug the new fan into the right fan header?

3 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Did you plug the new fan into the right fan header?

Yes, it's plugged into the only cpu fan header.

For me it's a error when 

The cpu is slower than the low speed limit 

Set the limit to none and see if it happens again 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Just now, pitbox46 said:

@mikeeginger

We can't change any of the cpu fan settings, the fan itself doesn't register in the bios.

Maybe the header is dead? does the fan spin up?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I would double check the Fan is plugged in to the 

Correct header 

Then I would get updated chipset drivers 

then Contect Asus maby you have a bad header 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Maybe the header is dead? does the fan spin up?

The fan spins fine and the computer keeps cool underload

11 minutes ago, mikeeginger said:

I would double check the Fan is plugged in to the 

Correct header 

Then I would get updated chipset drivers 

then Contect Asus maby you have a bad header 

That still wouldn't explain why it crashes randomly.

1.) remove AI Suite from the PC - he/you are most likely using it as you stated  "30°C~ and shuts down", so you are using that thing or BIOS itself to read the TCase temps.

(and if you are reading the temps from the BIOS after the reboot: you are doing it wrong, until you are in the bios the CPU can easily drop 10-20°C in TCase temperatures)

2.) go into the BIOS and choose "advanced option" - either on the top right or bottom right - alternatively press F7.

3.) find the menu called "Monitor" and set the CPU fan speed to ignore.

4.) save, exit & reboot.

Should take care of the problem.

If the problem is sure to be solved you can try to install AI suite again afterwards, since it might not have been the actual cause.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

17 minutes ago, Nord said:

1.) remove AI Suite from the PC - he/you are most likely using it as you stated  "30°C~ and shuts down", so you are using that thing or BIOS itself to read the TCase temps.

(and if you are reading the temps from the BIOS after the reboot: you are doing it wrong, until you are in the bios the CPU can easily drop 10-20°C in TCase temperatures)

2.) go into the BIOS and choose "advanced option" - either on the top right or bottom right - alternatively press F7.

3.) find the menu called "Monitor" and set the CPU fan speed to ignore.

4.) save, exit & reboot.

Should take care of the problem.

If the problem is sure to be solved you can try to install AI suite again afterwards, since it might not have been the actual cause.

I can't change any of my cpu fan settings, including setting the speed to ignore. Also I don't have AI suite.

42 minutes ago, pitbox46 said:

I can't change any of my cpu fan settings, including setting the speed to ignore

BIOS screenshot or picture/video plx.

43 minutes ago, pitbox46 said:

Also I don't have AI suite

So how exactly did you/he look at the temperatures then? In BIOS after the PC rebooted, right?

Anyway, swap the plug from a casefan & the CPU cooler and see if BIOS recognizes the Case fan as the CPU fan. Like put your CPU fan into a case-fan header and your case fan into the CPU fan header and see which ones get recognized afterwards.

If the CPU fan gets recognised on the case fan header, see if you have a free case-fan header and simply plug the CPU in there - should fix it. (if he runs a custom fan curve for cooling he needs to revisit it obviously)

If the case fan does not get recognized on the CPU fan header either, the thing is most likely broken. In which case you either need to find a case fan header to plug in the CPU or get an adapter.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

23 minutes ago, Nord said:

So how exactly did you/he look at the temperatures then? In BIOS after the PC rebooted, right?

Anyway, swap the plug from a casefan & the CPU cooler and see if BIOS recognizes the Case fan as the CPU fan. Like put your CPU fan into a case-fan header and your case fan into the CPU fan header and see which ones get recognized afterwards.

If the CPU fan gets recognised on the case fan header, see if you have a free case-fan header and simply plug the CPU in there - should fix it. (if he runs a custom fan curve for cooling he needs to revisit it obviously)

If the case fan does not get recognized on the CPU fan header either, the thing is most likely broken. In which case you either need to find a case fan header to plug in the CPU or get an adapter.

We used Hwinfo to see the temps after boot. 

7 hours ago, Nord said:

Switched the connectors. Still gives me the message and still crashes after about 2hrs

You should monitor the temperatures while using the PC, not after it did reboot.

The time it takes a PC to do a full reboot from "error" to "user can do stuff again", even with an SSD, is more then enough to cool down a CPU from 90°C+ down to a good 40°C or so.

Well if 2 different CPU fans & 1 case fan (which is knowen to work) do get errors on the same fanheader, I think its very safe to say the fan header is the problem.

I would still try to reset the bios to default settings, but I'm fairly certain that will not take care of the fan not detected issue. It could however fix the restart issue.

If it does not fix the restart, its probably time to look for BSOD reports or error reports in windows event viewer. If nothing turns up on both, you will need to start stresstesting components untill you find the guilty one - and ofc monitor temperatures while doing that.