How many DDR4 sticks?

So I have a question about the number of DDR4 sticks I should put in my new rig.

The CPU will be i7-6700K, the motherboard I'm planning to buy is the Asus Z170-A, it has 4 DDR4 sockets, it supports up to 64GB, and I want to put 32GB. The picture below shows the recommended configurations from the manual.

Now the question is, should I put 2 x 16GB sticks, or 4 x 8GB? What are the pros and cons of each configuration? The manual does say: "For system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (4 DIMMs)" so I'm thinking maybe 2 x 16GB is nicer?

Thanks!

ram.jpg

Is there a specific reason you need that much memory?

If its just for gaming or something.. slow down there cowboy

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Is there a specific reason you need that much memory?

If its just for gaming or something.. slow down there cowboy

It won't be only for gaming, I also use Photoshop, Illustrator and some video editing, so 16GB might not be enough at times :)

6 minutes ago, sanorin said:

It won't be only for gaming, I also use Photoshop, Illustrator and some video editing, so 16GB might not be enough at times :)

Alright, fair. Well I guess regarding your question is that will you ever want to upgrade? Imo 32 GB is super sufficient for that kind of stuff so I'd just go 4x8.

But if you want to upgrade in the future go for the 2x16 

Cooling either way in any configuration should be fine

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 sticks OC better and are upgradeable so I'd do 2x16.

Cooling is really a non issue for 1.35V DDR4 SDRAM

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I would go 4x8, if you aren't planning on upgrading in the near future. Has something to do with memory lanes to your CPU. The more you use, the more efficient your ram will be.

Either 2 x 16GB , or 4 x 8GB will be identical performance. Z170 chipsets only have 2 channels (lanes) for data. X79, X99 have 4 channels available.

Going with high frequency DDR4 (3000 or above) you will be able to maintain a more stable OC with only 2 

8 hours ago, sanorin said:

You could always get 16GB first, (2x8) and test it with your current use case scenario, odds are you won't need 32gb whatsoever for just photoshop and video editting.  If it turns out you don't need it, you saved some money and can spend it elsewhere, if it turns out you do, you can just buy a second set of what you got.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

10 hours ago, sanorin said:

The manual does say: "For system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (4 DIMMs)" so I'm thinking maybe 2 x 16GB is nicer?

I'm sure they included line that because they expect half their customers will try to cram it into a case with terrible airflow. As long as you're using a case that's somewhere near adequate I can't believe your memory would have any problem with heat. 2x16 GB is nicer for a few other reasons, though: you have two slots free for upgrades later (when 32 GB may already be more than you need), and it might be easier to fit certain large CPU coolers into the system when you have only two DIMMs.